We still have a Wrestling Team BTW....

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I watched it here in Ohio. It was the best I've seen Sheets wrestle. It was Witcraft that lost by 1, Wittlake was a beast and put up a first period tech fall.
how did you watch it in Ohio? I feel like last year basically every match was televised or on Flo (I have a subscription yet this year almost no matches have been shown (at least out of state). Did they not renew their deal with Flo? Where can I watch the matches?
ESPN+. Only one of our matches has been on Flo, and I am not sure there will another.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sep 9, 2013
197 match-up should be good.

Noah Adams of WVU is 22-0 ranked 6th, Cowboys' 197 is ranked 5th.

probably WVU's only chance for points.

I dont see how a guy with 5 losses can be ranked ahead of a guy who's 22-0. I mean that's like have 7-5 auburn ranked ahead of a 12-0 Boise State. You dont know that an unbeaten guy isnt the best. you do know a guy who has lost 5 times shouldnt be in the top 10.

https://www.wrestlestat.com/rankings/weight/197

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004

I dont see how a guy with 5 losses can be ranked ahead of a guy who's 22-0. I mean that's like have 7-5 auburn ranked ahead of a 12-0 Boise State. You dont know that an unbeaten guy isnt the best. you do know a guy who has lost 5 times shouldnt be in the top 10.

50s Guy Facepalm.jpg

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX

Did you even look at your link? Geer doesn't have 5 losses. His losses are against #4, #8, and #12. Has beaten #19, #20. And already has a reputation as a great wrestler.

Adams beat #10 and #12, but this didn't happen until just recently in the Scuffle. Hasn't wrestled anyone else in the top 30 and no reputation from last year.

Rank 5 vs Rank 6, you're splitting hairs.

They have one common opponent 3-2 loss for Geer and 3-0 win for Adams.

We will see how it goes on Friday.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012

Did you even look at your link? Geer doesn't have 5 losses. His losses are against #4, #8, and #12. Has beaten #19, #20. And already has a reputation as a great wrestler.

Adams beat #10 and #12, but this didn't happen until just recently in the Scuffle. Hasn't wrestled anyone else in the top 30 and no reputation from last year.

Geer has a career record of 90-24 where Adams is 68-25. That is 22 more wins and one less loss over their college career. That is all taken into consideration when ranking guys. Should be a two to three point win on Friday with either wrestler capable of picking up the win. Whoever loses will not fall very far in the rankings next week either.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Kinda hoping they drop Geer back down to 184 for Big 12s.

Gfeller will be fine. He's weighing in so just getting his body shrunk.

Joe Smith is Joe Smith. We get what we get there and thanks for the ride but good riddance.

I think our team is better than we all think it is...

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012

Joe Smith is Joe Smith. We get what we get there and thanks for the ride but good riddance.

I was shocked when I watched his interview last week and they said it had been two years since he wrestled in GIA. It would be tough to have the last name Smith and wrestle at OSU to start with. Just seems to be a lack of motivation at times.

Sep 6, 2014

then who goes 97 if we move Geer back down? I think Montalvo is better at 84 than whoever else we put in at 97. Geer will be an All American at either weight, probably slightly better at 184 but I think we have the opportunity to get more team points in duals and tournaments with Montalvo at 184 even though he has been average unless we have some backup at 97 I am forgetting about with good potential (probably not or they wouldn't have moved Geer up in the first place)

Sep 9, 2013

Have IQ's in Stillwater dropped dramatically due to heavy drinking over the basketball team?

I said 5 losses and ranked ahead of Adams. Geer has 3, but if you use yor eyes, you'll see a wrestler, to whom i was referring, ranked ahead of Adams and he has a 9-5 record. I dont care if he's wrestling Hulk Hogan, 9-5 is a crappy winning percentage and doesnt belong in top 20, much less top 3.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I was shocked when I watched his interview last week and they said it had been two years since he wrestled in GIA. It would be tough to have the last name Smith and wrestle at OSU to start with. Just seems to be a lack of motivation at times.
I heard that too and it's not true. He wrestled in the Lehigh and UNI duals last season.

Although with the redshirt in 17-18, I guess he has only wrestled in GIA twice now in almost three years... Which is insane.

I'm not keeping secrets that I'm ready to see Joe move on with his life. Really hope he doesn't hang around the program either.

If you look at 174 as a whole next season... Dustin Plott is absolutely a threat to be a finalist at the weight as a true freshman.

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
then who goes 97 if we move Geer back down? I think Montalvo is better at 84 than whoever else we put in at 97. Geer will be an All American at either weight, probably slightly better at 184 but I think we have the opportunity to get more team points in duals and tournaments with Montalvo at 184 even though he has been average unless we have some backup at 97 I am forgetting about with good potential (probably not or they wouldn't have moved Geer up in the first place)
Alex Kaufman would be the backup at 197. He was a Juco national champion, I believe, and if you can get him qualified I think he would do about the same point production at NCAAs that Montalvo would do at 184... But Geer would probably be a top 3 challenger at 184. I think he's top 8 at 197, but there is a huge drop off in points there.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Have IQ's in Stillwater dropped dramatically due to heavy drinking over the basketball team?

I said 5 losses and ranked ahead of Adams. Geer has 3, but if you use yor eyes, you'll see a wrestler, to whom i was referring, ranked ahead of Adams and he has a 9-5 record. I dont care if he's wrestling Hulk Hogan, 9-5 is a crappy winning percentage and doesnt belong in top 20, much less top 3.
You were discussing Adams - Geer. Didn't know you like to randomly scatter shoot topics. Effective communication is not your friend.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
If you take the following to NCAAs... it'll be competitive.

125 - Piccinnini - Top 4
133 - Witcraft - probably a R16 / R12 guy
141 - Gfeller - Should be AA competitor... but... IDK what's going on with him.
149 - Boo - Finals contender
157 - Sheets - R16
165 - Wittlake - AA
174 - Joe Smith - AA
184 - Dakota Geer - Top 4
197 - Andrew Marsden / Alex Kauffman - R16
Hwt - No qualifier.

So 5 AAs with three guys that should be in the semifinals would probably put us top 5.

cowboyfanatic

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2010
oklahoma city, OK
If you take the following to NCAAs... it'll be competitive.

125 - Piccinnini - Top 4
133 - Witcraft - probably a R16 / R12 guy
141 - Gfeller - Should be AA competitor... but... IDK what's going on with him.
149 - Boo - Finals contender
157 - Sheets - R16
165 - Wittlake - AA
174 - Joe Smith - AA
184 - Dakota Geer - Top 4
197 - Andrew Marsden / Alex Kauffman - R16
Hwt - No qualifier.

So 5 AAs with three guys that should be in the semifinals would probably put us top 5.
Is Andrew marsden still with the team?