We have to be patient...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Lord have mercy, man. If you read CTeam's break down and just posted the equivalent of "nuh-uh" in the face of history, then I don't know what to tell you. Especially when you say something like "West Lunt was the wrong choice".
Wes Lunt got hurt, multiple times. He wasn't the "wrong choice". Anyone saying that is completely, totally full of bullspit. Lunt started against Savannah State, which admittedly wasn't much competition, and was 11 for 11 for 129 yards and looked freaking spectacular. The next week he was 37-60 436 yards, 4 TDs, 3 ints in the loss at Arizona. The 3 ints were bad, one was a pick-6. But it was a true freshmen in his first road start against a good Arizona team. Our defense couldn't hold water and gave up 6 touchdowns, so you can't really hang that loss on Lunt. After the first two games he looked like he was going to be our quarterback of the future. He hurts his knee on the sixth play of the game against Louisiana after going 3-4 for 23 yards. We then lose him to a concussion in the only other game he played, at Kansas State.

2012 wasn't a matter of choices, it was a matter of injuries. Lunt went down twice, JW Walsh went down, it left us with Chelf. Fortunately, Chelf proved to be up to the task and guided us to a bowl game. It's pretty doggone rare to have that kind of depth at quarterback. So, anyone remembering 2012 as "Gundy making a mistake a quarterback" is remembering the way they want to and not the way it happened. Haters gonna hate.

Mar 31, 2011
Lord have mercy, man. If you read CTeam's break down and just posted the equivalent of "nuh-uh" in the face of history, then I don't know what to tell you. Especially when you say something like "West Lunt was the wrong choice".
Hey, if you would have rather had Reid, Cate, Lunt, and Garman leading the Cowboys than Robinson, Weeden, Chelf, and Rudolph then I guess I just don't know what to tell you. :derp::facepalm:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Hey, if you would have rather had Reid, Cate, Lunt, and Garman leading the Cowboys than Robinson, Weeden, Chelf, and Rudolph then I guess I just don't know what to tell you. :derp::facepalm:
The only one that was the wrong choice was Cate and he played for essentially a half of a game. Weeden might have helped in that Bedlam game. Lunt got hurt. Walsh got hurt more than once. Rudolph wasn’t ready early in the season so Gundy went with Garman. Maybe Cornelius is actually better than Rudolph and then you can say that Gundy made the wrong choice way back then.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
It has been firmly established that some people on this site will NEVER acknowledge that Gundy can/has/will make mistakes, even if the man admits to making them right after the games.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
It has been firmly established that some people on this site will NEVER acknowledge that Gundy can/has/will make mistakes, even if the man admits to making them right after the games.
No, it hasn't. At all. Cate was an mistake. Everyone admits that after seeing the Colorado game. No one would come here and say that Cate was the right call. Cate was a highly rated and recruited player that proved to not be up to the task, and a mistake that Weeden also contributed to, but a mistake none the less. Not pulling an injured ZR in Bedlam was a mistake. Everyone admits that. Everyone. Starting ZR wasn't. The QB carousal in 2012 wasn't mistakes, it was injuries. Same goes for 2013 and 2014. JW doesn't get hurt in 2014 and Daxx never sees the field except in mopup duty, even though there were plenty of idiots here who thought he could "spin it" and wanted him to replace JW. We also never lift MR's redshirt. But JW was snakebit, he and health never knew each other.

The only thing that has been firmly established is that some people have a permanent burr under their saddle, and that's a euphemism. Get over it all freaking ready. Sheez.

Last edited:

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I'll freely admit that Gundy has made several mistakes in his time as head coach. I think the biggest is Bill Young and then promoting and holding on to Spencer for WAY too long. A refresh on defense with Knowles is long overdue, and hopefully this proves to be a great choice.

He also tried to control the offense for far too long before he was forced to hire Holgerson, which led to Monken and now Yurcich who I (and most in the coaching community and media) think is pretty good.

Overall, however, I think we are better now than we have ever been and that Gundy has positioned the program really well to maintain this level success when he is gone. It will be very surprising if Gundy ever misses a bowl game and, frankly, losing less than 9 games is now seen as unacceptable. That doesn't happen without Gundy. Period.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2011
It's just the usual suspects, and wouldn't you know it, all three of the main offenders showed up (as they faithfully do). Five days later, but they're here in full force nonetheless.

I think Gundy is a phenomenal coach, I love the guy. I wouldn't want anyone else coaching the Cowboys. But he's routinely made poor transitions at QB, that's all. These guys can talk about their feelings all day, but we don't need to; it's quantifiable. Why these guys take that so personally is a mystery to me.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
While we all can acknowledge that Coach Gundy (and ourselves) has/have made mistakes...I think on the eve of this big game we should be more united as a fan base...Why not leave the discussion of mistakes until after a loss? It seems silly to hash and rehash past QB selections on the eve of such a big game. Is it just me?

Anyway, carry on...OH, and Go Pokes! Beat Boise!

Last edited:

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
While we all can acknowledge that Coach Gundy (and ourselves) has/have made mistakes...I think on the eve of this big game we should be more united as a fan base...Why not leave the discussion of mistakes until after a loss? It seems silly to hash and rehash past QB selections on the eve of such a big game. Is it just me?

Anyway, carry on...OH, and Go Pokes! Beat Boise!
What gets me, Rack, is they can't admit they were wrong about the injuries in 2012/13/14. No, they have to attack the people who were pointing out they were wrong about the injuries in 2012/13/14. They'll never let it go. Haters gonna hate.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
What gets me, Rack, is they can't admit they were wrong about the injuries in 2012/13/14. No, they have to attack the people who were pointing out they were wrong about the injuries in 2012/13/14. They'll never let it go. Haters gonna hate.
I don't think that's true. There appears to be two sides to this. Side A are the folks who find it difficult to trust Gundy completely, because he's made some (acknowledged) mistakes in the past. Side B are the folks who trust him completely since he is the head coach, and gets paid millions to make the right call more often than not.

Very few if any of the Side A folks appear to hate Gundy or think he's the worst coach ever. They just find it difficult to trust him 100% given his mistakes. Can't blame them, honestly. But I also see why some people would point to his many correct decisions and base their trust on that. People gonna people.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
The past is gone, mistakes were made, Gundy is the best coach for OSU without a doubt but he's in no way perfect. I think the anticipation about a grad transfer and the Gatorade Texas POY is a hard one to keep down. TC has been more than serviceable, he's been pretty good in his first 2 starts. He's made some bad mistakes as well. With the gift of 4 games without losing the redshirt just builds the anticipation even more. The thread rehashes some old wounds but one thing I can tell you is that other than Gundy's loyalty to his players (ZR Bedlam) when he chooses the best QB he gets the starts. So we need to be patient, even if I was calling for Brown less than 5 minutes into last weeks game.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
I don't think that's true. There appears to be two sides to this. Side A are the folks who find it difficult to trust Gundy completely, because he's made some (acknowledged) mistakes in the past. Side B are the folks who trust him completely since he is the head coach, and gets paid millions to make the right call more often than not.

Very few if any of the Side A folks appear to hate Gundy or think he's the worst coach ever. They just find it difficult to trust him 100% given his mistakes. Can't blame them, honestly. But I also see why some people would point to his many correct decisions and base their trust on that. People gonna people.
Some people make excuses for everything that happens when in life. Gundy is a convenient excuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk