We have to be patient...

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Game threads are the last place for rational thoughts. You've been here long enough to know that. Even normal folks get caught up in posting stuff in the heat of the moment. Doesn't make them idiots or geniuses. Game threads gonna game thread....

But honestly, I haven't seen much Corndog hate, but I only frequent this site and PFB. I've seen some people who are probably overly critical of Gundy, and its led them to question TC as the starter. I've seen many others who are irrationally obsessed with Dru Brown and/or Spencer Sanders, and they've let that drive their thoughts on TC. Others have objectively broken down his first game and have legitimate concerns. Others think that Gundy can never do wrong and get their panties in a wad any time someone criticizes the man - deserved or not.

But Corndog hate? I haven't seen it.
If someone wants to get all self righteous and get a few likes all he has to do is make a post calling out the "idiots" for "hating" Gundy, TC, Holder or whoever. It doesn't really matter if anyone actually did those posts, he's calling them out anyway. Of course there are a few idiots on here, but so what.

Let them have their extra thumbs up points and don't let it get to you. He's mostly calling out imaginary people.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
Game threads are the last place for rational thoughts. You've been here long enough to know that. Even normal folks get caught up in posting stuff in the heat of the moment. Doesn't make them idiots or geniuses. Game threads gonna game thread....

But honestly, I haven't seen much Corndog hate, but I only frequent this site and PFB. I've seen some people who are probably overly critical of Gundy, and its led them to question TC as the starter. I've seen many others who are irrationally obsessed with Dru Brown and/or Spencer Sanders, and they've let that drive their thoughts on TC. Others have objectively broken down his first game and have legitimate concerns. Others think that Gundy can never do wrong and get their panties in a wad any time someone criticizes the man - deserved or not.

But Corndog hate? I haven't seen it.
It's not so much hate on Cornelius but an irrational need to see Brown and/or Sanders against South Alabama. Which, as has been mentioned, won't tell you enough to really make a decision on a starter.

People are really quick to want to see the other QBs based on the fact that Cornelius isn't Weeden/Rudolph, while forgetting that he was never going to be in the first game after years of not starting.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
It's not so much hate on Cornelius but an irrational need to see Brown and/or Sanders against South Alabama. Which, as has been mentioned, won't tell you enough to really make a decision on a starter.

People are really quick to want to see the other QBs based on the fact that Cornelius isn't Weeden/Rudolph, while forgetting that he was never going to be in the first game after years of not starting.
With the stable of running backs we have this year we probably don't need TC to be Weeden/Rudolph. We need him to be an efficient game manager and not turn the ball over. We also need him to be smart at the line of scrimmage and get us out of bad plays and into good ones. A fifth year senior who knows the offense well ought to be able to do those things.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
With the stable of running backs we have this year we probably don't need TC to be Weeden/Rudolph. We need him to be an efficient game manager and not turn the ball over. We also need him to be smart at the line of scrimmage and get us out of bad plays and into good ones. A fifth year senior who knows the offense well ought to be able to do those things.
We basically need Cornelius to be Alex Smith.

BadBob

Greenhorn
Oct 19, 2010
No flame intended.

Gundy keeps saying we have to "be patient with Corndog" and I'm not sure what that means.

He's not Mason and doesn't really have time to develop into that. So what does it mean? Do we let him struggle throughout the year? Does this mean we will lose a couple of games before we try something else?

I'm just curious

Oct 30, 2007
We basically need Cornelius to be Alex Smith.
I disagree with this mindset. The NFL is a very different game. That was displayed on the opening game of the season where two high powered offenses ended with a score of 18-12. It's a lot easier to win at a high level with a game managing QB when you have a great defense. Alabama has won several national championships with that type of QB under center. But we don't have Alabama's talent.

Ask yourself this question, when was the last time a team won the Big 12 or even competed for the Big 12 without a QB that could consistently hit a receiver in stride downfield? The only thing that comes to mind is K-State back in 2012, but by his senior season Collin Klein was a decent passer.

Dec 6, 2013
This is probably our last season with Justice Hill. Why are we willing to waste that season "being patient"?

Furthermore, how has our recruiting missed that badly that we don't have anyone better and closer to being ready since we bring MR into our system???

Mar 31, 2011
Aside from throwing Zac Robinson back in for Bedlam in 2009 I don't think that Gundy has made that many QB errors.

I mean.... let's look at it.

2005: Bobby Reid for 5 games, got injured, then Al Pena took over because Donovan Woods was starting on defense. Bad year... not much Gundy could've done from a QB decision perspective.
2006: Bobby Reid (won an award for being good)
2007: Rolled with Bobby Reid, who floundered at Georgia and at Troy so was replaced by Zac Robinson. This was the right call, as Robinson was the better QB and left as the most productive passer in OSU history.
2008: Zac Robinson
2009: Zac Robinson. Zac got hurt against Texas Tech, which led Gundy to go with Alex Cate (a 4* recruit and two year backup) in the Colorado game. This made perfect sense at the time... none of us knew anything about Brandon Weeden other than that he existed. At halftime Gundy pulled Cate and put in Weeden. A pretty bold decision that paid off. He then goes back to his starter for Bedlam because the player and the medical staff said he was good to go. Why would you not go back to the starter in this instance? Should he have pulled Robinson for Weeden when the team didn't cross the 50 before halftime? Probably... but that's all hindsight evaluation.
2010: Weeden
2011: Weeden
2012: True freshman and highly touted recruit Wes Lunt gets the nod... but gets hurt against Louisiana Lafayette. Dude is never the same after that. JW Walsh takes over. Gets hurt. Clint Chelf takes over. Season ends up alright.
2013: Tries to roll with JW Walsh because Walsh was highly recruited and a hard worker. Walsh couldn't really stay healthy. Goes with Chelf.
2014: Walsh gets hurt. Rolls with Daxx to preserve Rudolph redshirt. Daxx gets hurt so is forced to go with Rudolph.
2015: Rudolph
2016: Rudolph
2017: Rudolph

So... really... it's 2009 and 2012 that you can kinda question Gundy's ability to pick a QB... but those would have been tough years for ANY coach. Look at what's been going on at Texas since Colt McCoy got hurt in the 2009 national championship game. Look at Texas A&M since Johnny left. LSU. Florida. They all wish they had a coach like Gundy picking QBs for them.

So yeah... maybe I am a little bit biased and a little bit harsh on Rutherford... but he brought it upon himself.
It's funny that your take away from that list is that you "kinda" question two seasons because when I look at it, I see Bobby Reid was the wrong choice (and I loved Bobby Reid!), Alex Cate was the wrong choice, Wes Lunt was the wrong choice, Daxx Garman was the wrong choice, and in some ways even JW Walsh was the wrong choice (when he relied only on JW Walsh, whom is one of my all time favorite Cowboys).

So, your perspective is interesting. Gundy reluctantly played the three career passing leaders in school history and QBs that account for two of the top 25 and four of the top 100 passing seasons in NCAA history. In favor of Daxx Garman and Alex Cate.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
I disagree with this mindset. The NFL is a very different game. That was displayed on the opening game of the season where two high powered offenses ended with a score of 18-12. It's a lot easier to win at a high level with a game managing QB when you have a great defense. Alabama has won several national championships with that type of QB under center. But we don't have Alabama's talent.

Ask yourself this question, when was the last time a team won the Big 12 or even competed for the Big 12 without a QB that could consistently hit a receiver in stride downfield? The only thing that comes to mind is K-State back in 2012, but by his senior season Collin Klein was a decent passer.
Again, I was referring more to the fact that Alex Smith takes care of the ball and makes safe decisions.

Also, if you watched Smith last year, he can definitely hit a receiver in stride down-field.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Mark Cooper charted each of Taylor Cornelius’ 75 passes. Excerpts...

With eight receptions through two games, Oklahoma State’s running backs are averaging nearly a full catch more per game than they did last season.

Checking down might not be ideal, but it can still be effective for this OSU team. On passes completed behind the line of scrimmage, Cornelius is 13-of-14 for 151 yards and a touchdown — the 54-yard scamper by Chuba Hubbard in the win over Missouri State.

Five of the 13 completions have resulted in plays of 10 or more yards. In addition to the running backs, Landon Wolf has begun to emerge as an option in the short passing game.
The majority of Cornelius’ work so far has come from the pocket — not a surprise, given that Gundy and the staff said they wouldn’t have to change much for the senior to take over the offense.

When offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich gets Cornelius moving, though, he has proven to be effective.

We counted 12 throws in which Cornelius was rolling to the right or left — sometimes by design, other times because of pressure. He is 8-of-12 for 178 yards, a touchdown and an interception.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
It's funny that your take away from that list is that you "kinda" question two seasons because when I look at it, I see Bobby Reid was the wrong choice (and I loved Bobby Reid!), Alex Cate was the wrong choice, Wes Lunt was the wrong choice, Daxx Garman was the wrong choice, and in some ways even JW Walsh was the wrong choice (when he relied only on JW Walsh, whom is one of my all time favorite Cowboys).

So, your perspective is interesting. Gundy reluctantly played the three career passing leaders in school history and QBs that account for two of the top 25 and four of the top 100 passing seasons in NCAA history. In favor of Daxx Garman and Alex Cate.
Lord have mercy, man. If you read CTeam's break down and just posted the equivalent of "nuh-uh" in the face of history, then I don't know what to tell you. Especially when you say something like "West Lunt was the wrong choice".