Way, Way Too early two deep for 2018?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 6, 2010
From the DOK
Under Gundy, though, OSU has developed a strong track record of reconstruction. Gone are the days when the loss of a significant talent meant a huge drop off. That is partially evident by the fact that the Cowboys haven't won less than seven games since the second year of Gundy's tenure. But go inside the numbers, and you'll find even stronger evidence.

The 2009 Cowboys won nine games during the regular season and went to the Cotton Bowl, both high water marks at that time for Gundy-led OSU teams. But that was the last season in Stillwater for Zac Robinson, Dez Bryant, Keith Toston, Perrish Cox and Andre Sexton. Significant players all.

What did the Cowboys do in 2010?

They won 11 games and capped their season with an Alamo Bowl victory. That bunch was headlined by Brandon Weeden and Justin Blackmon and undercarded by the likes of Joseph Randle and Jeremy Smith, Daytawion Lowe and Markelle Martin, the nucleus for the Cowboys' Big 12 title team in 2011.

OSU lost another significant group after the 2013 season. That team won 10 games and went to the Cotton Bowl led by Clint Chelf, Josh Stewart and Justin Gilbert.
8 wins would not be a huge drop-off, only had 10 this year.

Sep 20, 2017
Texas
A decent core of D-lineman return as does a pretty good young set of LB's. Should be better on defense next year...coaching change or not....just an opinion.
I don’t know how we could possibly be any worse. Is there a stat that keeps track of big plays given up per game by chance? We would have to be a leader in that category. Stopping that is a very simple fix. Just get people in better position and teach tackling. Do that alone and our D will look much improved.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I don’t know how we could possibly be any worse. Is there a stat that keeps track of big plays given up per game by chance? We would have to be a leader in that category. Stopping that is a very simple fix. Just get people in better position and teach tackling. Do that alone and our D will look much improved.
I wonder how many plays we allowed the other team to make an additional 10 yards after first contact because we were trying to strip the ball instead of taking the guy to the ground. How many touchdowns did we allow because we didn’t have anyone within 5 yards of a receiver when he caught the ball? Hopefully the new DC will change that.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Perhaps, but I’m guessing (which is what we’re all doing) that he redshirts. Alexander, Greenwood and McKaufman should all see significant playing time. Just don’t see blowing Moore’s Freshman season with limited playing time.
Moore will not redshirt.

If he will be a good as we anticipate he'd be. He will not be staying 5 yrs at oSu.

If he turned out to be a bust, we should have used the scholarship on another WR.

Best is to let he taste the playing levels the first year so that he can come out stronger the next year. Play him early and only use the redshirt year to cope for any potential injuries. Just like Ateman did.

Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Perhaps, but I’m guessing (which is what we’re all doing) that he redshirts. Alexander, Greenwood and McKaufman should all see significant playing time. Just don’t see blowing Moore’s Freshman season with limited playing time.
Did we "blow" Wallace's Freshman season ?
He got limited action, but very valuable.
I recall Dez had about the same amount of playing time as a Fresh . . . .

Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
Did we "blow" Wallace's Freshman season ?
He got limited action, but very valuable.
I recall Dez had about the same amount of playing time as a Fresh . . . .
Dez had six TD receptions as a Frosh, just like Washington. While Moore is highly lauded as a recruit, so was Greenwood, but Greenwood will benefit from Spring practice and full year of body by Glass before Moore ever gets on campus. I hope I’m wrong and he’s a phenom. I just think he will start way behind a lot of good talent.

Nov 28, 2008
Who among ya didn't watch our D in the Tulsa game and think "this has all the makings of a long, long year."?

Dec 21, 2008
If the proposed redshirt rule passes he will have four games to find out if he (Moore) is ready for college ball. This could be true for any of the freshman.
Can a freshman play the last 3 regular season games plus bowl game and still reshirt? Seems like developing over a 3-6 month period they would be more mature and stronger and ready to compete better......

Aug 7, 2005
San Diego, CA
QB: Brown, Corndog, (Sanders -RS)
HB: Hill, Hubbard or King or Brown
CW: Abbott, Finefeuiaki
LT: Galloway, Hambright
LG: Keyes, Galea'i
C: Wilson, Noel
RG: Williams (if eligible), Jenkins
RT: Richards, Jenkins
WR: Tyron Johnson, McKaufman or Alexander
WR: Tylan Wallace, Moore or Greenwood
IR: McCleskey, Stoner

DE: Brailford or Owens
DE: Walterscheid, Martin
DT: Daniels, Smith
DT: Carter, Murray
STRIKE: Bundage, KEM
LB: Phillips, Ogbong
LB: Macon, Henry
CB: Green, Balous
CB: Williams, Morton
SS: Z. Green or Rodriguez
FS: Mwaniki, Cook, Flanagan

K: Ammendola
P: Sinor

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
Dez had six TD receptions as a Frosh, just like Washington. While Moore is highly lauded as a recruit, so was Greenwood, but Greenwood will benefit from Spring practice and full year of body by Glass before Moore ever gets on campus. I hope I’m wrong and he’s a phenom. I just think he will start way behind a lot of good talent.
Greenwood was already 218 when he showed up on campus and still ran a 4.4 40. We were just too deep for him to play and he'll definitely benefit by taking a year to learn the system. Keep an eye on him, he's a faster version of Marcell.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
On small numbers, 20% is pretty significant. Just one less, 7 wins, equals a 30% drop-off. Pretty significant.
Reminds me of tests with only 8 or 10 questions as opposed to a test with 40 or 50 questions, or checking batting average after the first week of the season. One mental lapse, one error is a killer because of so few data points. Not sure percentage is that applicable of a measurement in this case.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Reminds me of tests with only 8 or 10 questions as opposed to a test with 40 or 50 questions, or checking batting average after the first week of the season. One mental lapse, one error is a killer because of so few data points. Not sure percentage is that applicable of a measurement in this case.
I'm a bit confused too...

when the goal is 12 or 13 wins (typically)

then a drop from 12 to 8, seem a bit more significant than from 12 to 10 (reg season)

stated differently in fan terms, we'd go from a performance of about B+ to C-

Feb 5, 2007
No insight into practice. Just a guess from what I have read, heard and seen in highlight reels.

QB Brown, Sanders
RB Hill, The rest of 'em
FB Finefueiaki, Abbott
TE Woods, Ross
LT Galloway, Hambright
LG Keyes, Joubert
C Wilson, Tyrese Williams
RG Williams, Richards, Noel
RT Jenkins, Richards, Bray
WR Ty Johnson, Greenwood, McKaufman
WR Tylan Wallace, B Johnson
WR McClesky, Wolf