WATCH: Sen. Elizabeth Warren Is Very Sad The Remnants Of The USSR Embraced Private Property

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 7, 2004
WATCH: Sen. Elizabeth Warren Is Very Sad The Remnants Of The USSR Embraced Private Property
Win McNamee/Staff/Getty Images

December 3, 2018

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) is, no doubt, gearing up for a major announcement about her inevitable presidential campaign after the first of the year, but she -- like others, including Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) -- will spend the next few weeks building a foundation for their attempts to attain higher office.
For Warren, that apparently means retooling her public image to appeal to both moderate Democrats skeptical of her more progressive economic theories, and to progressive Democrats concerned she's only reaching further left to appeal to a wider base of voters.

To that end, Warren appeared at American University last week, where she gave a speech outlining her views on foreign policy, and it turns out, they're strange, even by Elizabeth Warren standards.
WATCH:

According to Elizabeth Warren, American capitalists, whom she seems to believe had already "ruined" their own country by the time the Berlin Wall fell, spelling the end of the Soviet Union, raced to replace the failed Communist experiment with one of their own, encouraging former Soviet states to rapidly embrace the free market and the concept of private property -- and that's just awful.
"Champions of cutthroat capitalism pushed former Soviet states to privatize as quickly as possible, despite the enormous risk of corruption," she laments.
Well, that's just horrible. Those silly former Communist states should have just...stayed Communist! After all, there's no economic structure that's quite as free from rampant corruption as Communism!
Now, to be fair to Elizabeth Warren, there was a significant push to have former Soviet states flip over to free market states as quickly as possible, but the results weren't necessarily bad...unless you're an Elizabeth Warren kind of "capitalist," where any market that could be described as "marginally free" is a sin against humanity.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Win McNamee/Staff/Getty Images

December 3, 2018

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) is, no doubt, gearing up for a major announcement about her inevitable presidential campaign after the first of the year, but she -- like others, including Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY) -- will spend the next few weeks building a foundation for their attempts to attain higher office.
For Warren, that apparently means retooling her public image to appeal to both moderate Democrats skeptical of her more progressive economic theories, and to progressive Democrats concerned she's only reaching further left to appeal to a wider base of voters.

To that end, Warren appeared at American University last week, where she gave a speech outlining her views on foreign policy, and it turns out, they're strange, even by Elizabeth Warren standards.
WATCH:

According to Elizabeth Warren, American capitalists, whom she seems to believe had already "ruined" their own country by the time the Berlin Wall fell, spelling the end of the Soviet Union, raced to replace the failed Communist experiment with one of their own, encouraging former Soviet states to rapidly embrace the free market and the concept of private property -- and that's just awful.
"Champions of cutthroat capitalism pushed former Soviet states to privatize as quickly as possible, despite the enormous risk of corruption," she laments.
Well, that's just horrible. Those silly former Communist states should have just...stayed Communist! After all, there's no economic structure that's quite as free from rampant corruption as Communism!
Now, to be fair to Elizabeth Warren, there was a significant push to have former Soviet states flip over to free market states as quickly as possible, but the results weren't necessarily bad...unless you're an Elizabeth Warren kind of "capitalist," where any market that could be described as "marginally free" is a sin against humanity.
And they call Trump an authoritarin........

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, but you're not an authoritarian if you know what's "best" for people. They just didn't do it the right way.
I do understand her and liberals position on this though. Liberals do need someone to take care of them......

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
& perhaps most important: It's not fair if someone has more.

I kid, sort of. We're going through this with our daughter (22 this month) about how terrible capitalism is.:facepalm:
Been there as well.

Suggest she move to Cuba or Venzuala and get a job.

Nov 6, 2010
I sure would like to hear her speech rather than you wingnut's cliff notes of it. My guess is, and it's only a guess, is she was critiquing the speed of the transition, given the years of complete communist control, which certainly lead to the Russian mob filling the vacuum left by the lack of good businessmen and business practices.

Jul 20, 2018
Jul 20, 2018
Thanks for the link. What I though she would say "despite the enormous risk of corruption".
I couldn't find the entire speech. I guess she's more concerned with a corrupt capitalist country than a communist country? I have good friends that live in former Soviet states. They're very happy to be liberated from Russia in spite of the vast corruption in their own governments.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
"Champions of cutthroat capitalism pushed former Soviet states to privatize as quickly as possible, despite the enormous risk of corruption,"
Liberals always seem to think that corruption is something that only exists in capitalism and big business and that big government is somehow, magically, not susceptible to it.
Yes, that who I want in charge...someone who either doesn't understand the enormous risk of corruption in big government or is lying about it because they are neck deep in it themselves.