Warren releases DNA analysis that shows she's Native American

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 20, 2018
Look at the interviews with the family, most of whom are republicans and also claim that heritage based on their family history. Should she have known to not claim that she was NA when she grew up being told she was?

Look, I don't like Warren as a politician because I don't really agree with her politics. But this hatred of people just because of differing political opinions is pretty bad.

All my life I've been told that my family heritage was completely from England and Scotland. My mother is English but was born in India because my grandfather was in the British Army. Well she got dna tested and my mother is 25% Indian. Subcontinent, not native.
Am I a liar when I've been saying all my life that I am just caucasian? Should I be claiming Asian (and the higher test scores that sometimes gets you).

This just seems a big to-do over nothing to me. She thought she was native, and at least a little bit is. Her family isn't calling her a liar, they are showing pictures and saying that is their heritage as they learned. She did not get money or anything but was listed as a Native faculty (which helps Harvard as much as her) as she thought she was.

How about we talk about the things she is good at (finding and pointing out the excesses of the financial industry) and the things she is bad about (spending, too much government). This story about her heritage just looks like a bunch of crappy people being crappy.
I know she's 100% looney tunes and I'd never vote for her.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Wow her paternal grandparents must have been EXTREMELY bigoted if they wouldn't let their son marry a woman who was 1/512ths Native American.....at that rate, no woman in the country would have been pure enough for their kid. Keep in mind there was no DNA testing back then so her grandparents I guess could tell just by looking. Or maybe Warren is simply lying her ass off.
If there was no DNA testing, why are you assuming that they didn't just think that they were indian even if modern testing (which also has error) says that it was a small percentage?

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I know she's 100% looney tunes and I'd never vote for her.
And you are showing your biases. I would never vote for her either. And that is because I do not agree with her political positions. But, if you paid any attention to her during the GFC she is not the least bit looney, she is intelligent.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If there was no DNA testing, why are you assuming that they didn't just think that they were indian even if modern testing (which also has error) says that it was a small percentage?
You're right, complete assumption on part, maybe her mother simply told her future in-laws she was Cherokee and Delaware and they reacted to that. The smart money, even assuming, is still on Warren lying though IMO.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
You're right, complete assumption on part, maybe her mother simply told her future in-laws she was Cherokee and Delaware and they reacted to that. The smart money, even assuming, is still on Warren lying though IMO.
See, I thought that too until this. I thought people had come out saying that they were fooled into thinking she was NA and hired her because of that. But, there isn't anyone actually saying that.
All this stuff shows me is that there is really nothing to this. It appears to me that she thought she was native. Growing up in OK that isn't unreasonable at all. She has these family stories, which might be trumped up but whose aren't? I just don't think there is much to this but a bunch of partisanship spattered with some sprinkles of racism.
Don't take that as an endorsement of Warren. I still don't like most of her politics. I just think this is inappropriate to attack her on and makes the republicans look racist, whether they are or not.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Look at the interviews with the family, most of whom are republicans and also claim that heritage based on their family history. Should she have known to not claim that she was NA when she grew up being told she was?

Look, I don't like Warren as a politician because I don't really agree with her politics. But this hatred of people just because of differing political opinions is pretty bad.

All my life I've been told that my family heritage was completely from England and Scotland. My mother is English but was born in India because my grandfather was in the British Army. Well she got dna tested and my mother is 25% Indian. Subcontinent, not native.
Am I a liar when I've been saying all my life that I am just caucasian? Should I be claiming Asian (and the higher test scores that sometimes gets you).

This just seems a big to-do over nothing to me. She thought she was native, and at least a little bit is. Her family isn't calling her a liar, they are showing pictures and saying that is their heritage as they learned. She did not get money or anything but was listed as a Native faculty (which helps Harvard as much as her) as she thought she was.

How about we talk about the things she is good at (finding and pointing out the excesses of the financial industry) and the things she is bad about (spending, too much government). This story about her heritage just looks like a bunch of crappy people being crappy.
Everyone in Oklahoma has a story about a native american background in their family at some point. The big difference is that most Oklahoma families have enough character not to try and claim native american background unless they have a card with a certifiable quantum. What she did is try to profit off people that she has not association with legally. She lied, she knew she lied, she built up a huge story and now she is determined to make it happen. You really think she took that test before one of her siblings did?

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Everyone in Oklahoma has a story about a native american background in their family at some point. The big difference is that most Oklahoma families have enough character not to try and claim native american background unless they have a card with a certifiable quantum. What she did is try to profit off people that she has not association with legally. She lied, she knew she lied, she built up a huge story and now she is determined to make it happen. You really think she took that test before one of her siblings did?
I was born in Oklahoma and have no native american background at all.

Look at what is going on in the state of Oklahoma. If you think that the only thing holding back a flood of white people from profiting based on simply claiming that they are Native American is "character" then you are pretty gullible. Why would she have a sibling take a test first when that is private medical info? It would be just as easy to steal the sibling's test as her own. It seems your partisanship is suppressing your logic.

If someone could show a scholarship, financial aid, a manager that claimed she got the job based on her claims or something that is actually "profit" and based on an actual lie then I would agree. But, this still looks like a huge nothingburger to me without any of that.

Jul 20, 2018
Because that story was an obvious lie. She's no better than Beto O'Rourke trying to pretend to be someone he's not so he can get votes from people that wouldn't normally him any attention.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX

Like with the video @MadMau posted, she wasn't claiming this was 10 geneerations ago...she said it affected her parents ability to marry.

For me it's just entertaining, it's obvious that the insults bothered her enough that she felt the need to prove her heritage regardless of how limited it really is...at this point it's just a CYA for political reasons.

Tthe gov't claims a certain percentage makes you "Native enough" while most tribes believe you are a member if they say you are by your actions and beliefs (at least this is what I learned in my Native American Studies class that was taught by a couple of AIM members).

One side of my family actually has certified documentation of our Native American geneology going back to the 1500's, she doesn't but makes claims of her family being discriminated against due to her heritage.

The other side of my family claims to have Native American heritage and has no documentation but they have been accepted by the Metis tribe as full members, to my knowledge she hasn't be accepted by any of the nations.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
This woman is a total loon. My dad is Indian (I’ve never met an Indian that referred to themselves as “Native American”) so I’ve been around his tribe’s culture my entire life. I’ve also been exposed to other tribal cultures. In my experience Indians hate it when people like Warren try to claim a tribal heritage just for cred. I could get into a lot more about how largely forgotten the plight have Indians have been in their minds and how they feel about the victimhood that other groups adopt but it’s really fruitless. The bottom line is that there’s a lot of pride amongst those cultures and the stuff Warren has pulled over the years did her no favors with them.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
TAHLEQUAH, Okla. — Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin Jr. issued the following statement Monday in response to Senator Elizabeth Warren’s DNA test claiming Native Heritage:

"A DNA test is useless to determine tribal citizenship. Current DNA tests do not even distinguish whether a person’s ancestors were indigenous to North or South America," Cherokee Nation Secretary of State Chuck Hoskin Jr. said. "Sovereign tribal nations set their own legal requirements for citizenship, and while DNA tests can be used to determine lineage, such as paternity to an individual, it is not evidence for tribal affiliation. Using a DNA test to lay claim to any connection to the Cherokee Nation or any tribal nation, even vaguely, is inappropriate and wrong. It makes a mockery out of DNA tests and its legitimate uses while also dishonoring legitimate tribal governments and their citizens, whose ancestors are well documented and whose heritage is proven. Senator Warren is undermining tribal interests with her continued claims of tribal heritage."
Ouch

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
I was born in Oklahoma and have no native american background at all.

Look at what is going on in the state of Oklahoma. If you think that the only thing holding back a flood of white people from profiting based on simply claiming that they are Native American is "character" then you are pretty gullible. Why would she have a sibling take a test first when that is private medical info? It would be just as easy to steal the sibling's test as her own. It seems your partisanship is suppressing your logic.

If someone could show a scholarship, financial aid, a manager that claimed she got the job based on her claims or something that is actually "profit" and based on an actual lie then I would agree. But, this still looks like a huge nothingburger to me without any of that.
She would get a sibling to take the test so she can deny the testing if it didn't turn out right. She wound being a senator and in the annals of her college employment she is NA. I think your partisanship is showing, how many cases do we have in Oklahoma of faking native heritage? The reason is if you are born here you know you have to be able to prove your quantum. She lied, you know it and I know it.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
She's an opportunistic liar. As a card carrying Cherokee (dad's lineage) it's insulting she would pull a tribe out of her ass and claim a status she's not entitled to. Claiming to be a member of the most abused race in our nation's history for financial gain is almost the equivalent of stolen valor.

On an unrelated note, check out the cook book she supported called "Pow Wow Chow" (seriously) and look at the recipes. I'm certain all of them were popular fare on the Trail of Tears. :derp:

Nov 26, 2008
Here is a free lesson for the liberals out there. You think Donald Trump is a low level hack, but keep going down to his low level and try to meet him hack to hack.
You aren't going to ever win on his level, going down to that level makes you look bad even if you're right.

Warren torpedoed her career. She has no chance to out troll a troll like Trump.
She went from a Senator to a character from a Maury Povich episode.

Congratulations... you're not the father...but...you're great great great great (commercial break) great great great grandparent may have been a Native American