Want to take my kids fly fishing

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
I'm wanting to take my 2 older sons (16 &13) fly fishing. I've heard Arky is the best and closest (live in Edmond). Was hoping some of you guys could impart some useful knowledge. We've never been, so would have to learn. So I'm guessing we would need a guide. Thanks!

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Blue River in Tish is great when the season is right. Fall into spring.

I have a trip coming up to Broken Bow here in a couple of weeks... Wish I was going up to the Ozarks though. Fishing is great up there.

Just keep it simple. Go to your local Orvis store or other fly shop and talk to the guys working there about what's best. Learn the knots. You'll catch something when you go because fish love the flys. Just don't over complicate it and enjoy the camping and time outdoors.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm wanting to take my 2 older sons (16 &13) fly fishing. I've heard Arky is the best and closest (live in Edmond). Was hoping some of you guys could impart some useful knowledge. We've never been, so would have to learn. So I'm guessing we would need a guide. Thanks!
If you really want to start your kids fly fishing, start with blue gill or crappie. It is a whole lot less technical than trout, especially pre-spawn. You can do it with just about any weight rod. I like to use a 3/4, but have caught a lot of blue gill with a 5, 7, and even a 10 when I was fishing for bass. You probably have blue gill/crappie waters close to you, and you don't have to buy wading gear. Here's my Albright 3/4 wt (the company is now defunct, it is a Redington clone) with a Ross Flystart reel and Rio Gold line and a blue gill on the end of it.
1559726453583.png

I just picked up one of these rods. It is very inexpensive, but absolutely amazing for the price.

Cowboy2U

Federal Marshal
Mar 31, 2008
Fly fished near Neosho when I was very little with my great uncle. Rainbows were very astute but the fishing was unforgettable.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You don't need a guide if you are fishing Ozark waters unless you really want to go all out and spend a bunch. Below the dam at Beaver lake in Arkansas near Eureka Springs on the white river is a great place to fish as is Roaring River in SW Missouri if you want that type of experience. With some search you can find nice cabins or camping nearby. Also really nice is a trip to Buffalo National River near Ponca Wilderness if you like to catch small-mouth in an absolutely beautiful environment...numerous waterfalls and great short hikes. Great float trips that aren't completely filled with loud music or obnoxious drunk people also. Also a resident Elk herd.

Dec 13, 2011
I just got back from fishing the Pecos and Cimarron in NM. Both of these rivers were fantastic....tons of dry fly action. Both are easily accessible but I would look more towards the Pecos for beginners(not as much brush). The Mora is a tributary that runs into the Pecos and it was a pleasure to fish as well. I took my 13 old brother( it was his first time to fly fish) and he caught some beautiful browns on the Mora. We fished a day and half, landed 21 browns and 1 rainbow.

Dec 13, 2011
Northern NM is full of fly fishing honey holes. If you decide on taking a trip west, I can send you a few of my favorite spots. (Native New Mexican)
I’ve fished the Brazos, Cimarron, Chama, Embudo, Rio Costilla, Red, Rio Grande, Hondo, Pecos, Mora, Panchuela, Holy Ghost, San Juan and Cabresto. I would rather catch small fish and not see another angler but let me know of any and all honey holes. Thanks in advance!!!

keystonecowboy

Loyalist & Truest
A/V Subscriber
Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
I’ve fished the Brazos, Cimarron, Chama, Embudo, Rio Costilla, Red, Rio Grande, Hondo, Pecos, Mora, Panchuela, Holy Ghost, San Juan and Cabresto. I would rather catch small fish and not see another angler but let me know of any and all honey holes. Thanks in advance!!!
The Vallecitos gets very little fishing pressure and I have brought in some very nice fish out of those waters. Rio Pueblo de Taos is a good spot for the family to have easy access, while still not being over fished. Costilla Creek is fantastic for cutthroats. Honestly the best native Rio Cut fishing I have ever done, and it is a dry fly paradise. It is tailwater to the Costilla Reservoir and people tend to only fish the reservoir, not the creek. East fork of the Jemez is loaded early season, but trout seem to leave the area as the heat starts to really ramp up. The water is not very fast moving and I think it gets a little warm for them. My absolute favorite "off the map" fly fishing in Northern NM is at the headwaters of the Little Hondo on the north slope of the Taos Ski Resort. No one ever around, great places to set up shop for a few days away from civilization, and plenty of fish to catch (albeit not always the biggest fish)

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
I'm with Rx. Find a local pond with no trees, etc. around it and practice there first. A city pond is the best. You'll find it is amazingly fun! You'll learn a lot and not have the frustration later. I've always caught fish doing this! Local ponds are always full of blue gill and brim. Tons of fun.