Wang Chung Wu Tang Clan Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
@steross I agree, he will have to sustain a movement for a long time before he starts winning nationally, I think he will run for governor of California next, I think he would do well there especially if he runs as an independent.
I'd actually like to see him do this.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Yang has a Ron Paul problem, he’s got enough ideas that he can be incredibly popular.
But
He doesn’t have enough mainline support to make people believe he can win, iow, many see it as a wasted vote, there simply are not all that many principled voters.
I still disagree on his direction for the ubi, among several other areas but after reading his book I came away more impressed with the man than I anticipated, not necessarily the candidate, which the book was less about, but rather the man. I, unfortunately, think that he’ll have a hard time sustaining legitimacy in the political realm because his ideas cross pollinate, many will resonate with both r’s & d’s so neither side will be comfortable supporting him, again, the Ron Paul conundrum.

Last edited:

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Yang has a Ron Paul problem, he’s got enough ideas that he can be incredibly popular.
But
He doesn’t have enough mainline support to make people believe he can win, iow, many see it as a wasted vote, there simply are not all that many principled voters.
I still disagree on his direction for the ubi, among several other areas but after reading his book I came away more impressed with the man than I anticipated, not necessarily the candidate, which the book was less about, but rather the man. I, unfortunately, think that he’ll have a hard time sustaining legitimacy in the political realm because his ideas cross pollinate, many will resonate with both r’s & d’s so neither side will be comfortable supporting him, again, the Ron Paul conundrum.
His idea of ranked-choice voting would solve that problem but yea, being that it helps the voter/ hurts the party it isn't likely to happen anytime soon.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
But
I could see him winning governor of cali.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
I’ve seen this mentioned here before but I’m not sure what’s driving it. He’s pretty nondescript here in the Bay Area so I’m wondering if I’m missing something where this is being discussed.
I only said it because someone else mentioned it and I thought it logical Yang might get Dems benefit from national name recognition and a little Rep support for not being Newsome. I have no real insight of California politics (or anything else, really).

Unless you have a polyethylene/polypropylene question.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
It happens. I literally did this in 2004. Voted constitution party that year.

SPOILER I looked it up later and ironically the constitution party wasn't a fan of the constitution at the time.
Of course it happens, that was my point. That's why ranking candidates won't turn out anything any better. She would still be going eeny meeny minie moe.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Of course it happens, that was my point. That's why ranking candidates won't turn out anything any better. She would still be going eeny meeny minie moe.
One idiot votes in a stupid manner on the current system and that proves that a more functional method of voting would not work. Sure, whatever. Yet another splendid post with logical assessment not far off from hers. Thanks, prof. I suggest not showing this to any of your statistics classes.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I could see him winning governor of cali.
I’ve seen this mentioned here before but I’m not sure what’s driving it. He’s pretty nondescript here in the Bay Area so I’m wondering if I’m missing something where this is being discussed.
Probably only by Dem outsiders (not in Cali.) that just want to see him drop from race but stay in politics.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
One idiot votes in a stupid manner on the current system and that proves that a more functional method of voting would not work. Sure, whatever. Yet another splendid post with logical assessment not far off from hers. Thanks, prof. I suggest not showing this to any of your statistics classes.
It's a look into the truth that many Dems are low information voters that don't know anything about their candidates. Just look to the lady that didn't know Pete was gay as another example. When there were a ton of Republican candidates against Trump, I know ton of conservatives talking constantly back and forth on social media about the merits/shortcomings of the different candidates. And if one was eliminated before their state primary, and that was their first choice, they would go through them all again to pick a new choice.

Last edited:

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
It's a look into the truth that many Dems are low information voters that don't know anything about their candidates. Just look to the lady that didn't know Pete was gay as another example. When there were a ton of Republican candidates against Trump, I know time if conservatives talking constantly back and forth on social media about the merits/shortcomings of the different candidates. And if one was eliminated before their state primary, and that was their first choice, they would go through them all again to pick a new choice.

I don't necessarily agree with your contention that only dems are low information voters as I know many democrats that know a hell of a lot more than you or I. Comparing people dumb enough to be put on a right-wing website video to be made fun of vs actual people you associate with then you are going to form a jaded opinion. I've seen plenty of videos going the other way too, just depends on where you look.

But, regardless of who has more dumb voters, that still has absolutely nothing to do with the point that we should make the system work better for the voters that do care. And, if someone wanted to vote for Gary Johnson last time but also wanted to point out that if GJ gets excluded that the person wants Trump not Hillary that is an improvement for the voter and a weakening of the people in power who hold the "don't waste your vote" over our heads.

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
It's a look into the truth that many Dems are low information voters that don't know anything about their candidates. Just look to the lady that didn't know Pete was gay as another example. When there were a ton of Republican candidates against Trump, I know time if conservatives talking constantly back and forth on social media about the merits/shortcomings of the different candidates. And if one was eliminated before their state primary, and that was their first choice, they would go through them all again to pick a new choice.

I know plenty of conservative voters who are "low information" voters.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I think both sides now are plagued with "too much information" voters......but the majority of the information they consume is total bull shit.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
The burden of proof is on you. How would it fix the stupidity?

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I think both sides now are plagued with "too much information" voters......but the majority of the information they consume is total bull shit.
That's a great way of expressing my thoughts...I think they are "low info" because a large portion of what they know seems to be BS.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
The stupidity of particular voters has absolutely no relevance to my post as the discussion was about principled voters, not stupid voters. There is no "burden of proof" for me to fix your stupid sideswipe of a post. And, you get the last word if you want it because I will not chase you down another one of your rabbit holes.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
The stupidity of particular voters has absolutely no relevance to my post as the discussion was about principled voters, not stupid voters. There is no "burden of proof" for me to fix your stupid sideswipe of a post. And, you get the last word if you want it because I will not chase you down another one of your rabbit holes.
C'mon Alice - one pill makes you small....

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
You responded to eeny meeny miney mo with ranked voting. How does ranked voting help with voters that make uneducated guesses?