Wang Chung Wu Tang Clan Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
We had our discussions on Yang when you first started supporting him before you created a thread about him; discussed what I liked, what I didn't and why I thought his numbers were off.

I didn't know it mattered when or how often I posted in this thread, especially a recent news item that concerned comments on the Iowa Caucuses. It was interesting, this seemed like the appropriate place to post the story since this is the ONLY thread discussing Yang.
Had an interesting discussion with a guy at SFO on Sunday night waiting on a flight. I was reading ‘The War on Normal People’, since finished. Anyway the guy says great book huh, I won’t give you a pbp but he then talked about a ubi and how Friedman was a proponent, I said that he was wrong, he said, and I’m politely paraphrasing, I didn’t understand. I explained to him the difference between a ubi a gbi and a negative income tax of which only the latter was what Friedman was a proponent of, I also explained that a consumption tax (regardless of what you call it) to fund it assumed an increase in consumption that may or may not materialize and that without price controls how do you force people not to raise prices to offset the increased income. I had more to discuss but he had to leave to catch a flight. I strongly recommend reading the book, it’s well thought out, it’s well written and it did cause me to think a little differently
I’d be interested in your thoughts or anyone who actually read(s) the book.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Had an interesting discussion with a guy at SFO on Sunday night waiting on a flight. I was reading ‘The War on Normal People’, since finished. Anyway the guy says great book huh, I won’t give you a pbp but he then talked about a ubi and how Friedman was a proponent, I said that he was wrong, he said, and I’m politely paraphrasing, I didn’t understand. I explained to him the difference between a ubi a gbi and a negative income tax of which only the latter was what Friedman was a proponent of, I also explained that a consumption tax (regardless of what you call it) to fund it assumed an increase in consumption that may or may not materialize and that without price controls how do you force people not to raise prices to offset the increased income. I had more to discuss but he had to leave to catch a flight. I strongly recommend reading the book, it’s well thought out, it’s well written and it did cause me to think a little differently
Haha....."had to leave to catch a flight."

(j/k)

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
I'll pick it up but will need to rearrange my reading list to get it finished

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Pouring one out for Steross... Yang just wasn't batsh*t crazy enough for the left...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks, but don’t worry about me. TBH, I make enough money that he would have hurt me. But, I see people every day that I think it could have helped and I think his attitude would have been healing for the country. Oh well, back to self preservation and lesser of two evil voting.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Thanks, but don’t worry about me. TBH, I make enough money that he would have hurt me. But, I see people every day that I think it could have helped and I think his attitude would have been healing for the country. Oh well, back to self preservation and lesser of two evil voting.
I've got your huckleberry (or Huckabee because politics)

Amy-Klobuchar-2007.jpg

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Meh, I’m not sure what the draw is all I can recall hearing from her is “Midwest roots” and bitching about Trump. I think I’m just gonna kick back and see how this plays out and pray to the FSM that they don’t choose Bernie.
She is a moderate and gets around 80% of the vote in Minnesota during her Senate races. Part of that is Republicans in the state are scared to run against her so they throw up no name candidates but its because she really hits the white blue collar male and soccer mom demographics well. She doesn't have the cash to survive nationwide primaries but she's the one candidate Trump can't dog whistle the base on and for the Dems that should make her the most formidable remaining candidate.

Sep 22, 2011
I think he chose the wrong year to run, he has too much crossover with Bernie and this is an "electibility"/"Beat trump" primary. Hopefully he runs again after trump destroys Bloomberg (who I think is going to win the primary)

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
I think he chose the wrong year to run, he has too much crossover with Bernie and this is an "electibility"/"Beat trump" primary. Hopefully he runs again after trump destroys Bloomberg (who I think is going to win the primary)
Yeah, this cycle their campaigns are focused more on Trump than they are actual policies. Yang (to me) was focusing more of his campaign on policy which lost the attention of the base of the left that's blind with rage against Trump. They don't care what the heck you stand for, they just want you to attack and beat Trump...

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
If he would have simply waited for 4 years then did the same thing he would have been the unknown trying then and most likely would have had the same fate. Assuming he has a productive 4 years, he will have a better chance in the future having tried this time as a long shot if that is what he wants. He has said that his major goal was to get the ideas out there and that was a success as UBI in the past was looked upon far less favorably than now.

RPG

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 28, 2017
Edmond, OK
She is a moderate and gets around 80% of the vote in Minnesota during her Senate races. Part of that is Republicans in the state are scared to run against her so they throw up no name candidates but its because she really hits the white blue collar male and soccer mom demographics well. She doesn't have the cash to survive nationwide primaries but she's the one candidate Trump can't dog whistle the base on and for the Dems that should make her the most formidable remaining candidate.
Please explain.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
You can bet that Yang will be one of the featured speakers at the convention as the Dems try to immediately pivot from left wing radicalism to mainstream moderation over night. He'll win a ton of respect from me if he tells them to shove it.

Sep 22, 2011
@steross I agree, he will have to sustain a movement for a long time before he starts winning nationally, I think he will run for governor of California next, I think he would do well there especially if he runs as an independent.