Wallace - no targets

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Can't ask for a better start for the Freshman. Wallace woke up, Chuba ran hard....looks like a totally different team on that drive.
Hey, it wasn't a case of "Wallace woke up".
The game plan was for Wallace to take it easy and work his way back into game form. We purposely didn't target him much, rotated in alot of receivers, etc.
It was the score and time ticking away that the OC decided it was time to just attack using Wallace . . . and it worked.

Nov 6, 2010
The game plan was for Wallace to take it easy and work his way back into game form. We purposely didn't target him much, rotated in alot of receivers, etc.
It was the score and time ticking away that the OC decided it was time to just attack using Wallace . . . and it worked.
Also didn't help that the refs let the corner grab him by the shoulder pad collar and ride him out of bounds every time. It was a bit ridiculous what they were letting go for a while there. Tough for anyone to get separation if they let that go on.

Nov 18, 2010
Ah, I see. So we intentionally didn't throw the ball to our All-American WR for three quarters. We wanted Tulsa to lead the game going into the fourth quarter And we wanted all of the voters watching the game to think we are massively overrated. That way, when we scored at the very end of the game, eeking out a win against a below average Tulsa team, they would never see it coming.

Truly, a diabolical stratagem.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Also didn't help that the refs let the corner grab him by the shoulder pad collar and ride him out of bounds every time. It was a bit ridiculous what they were letting go for a while there. Tough for anyone to get separation if they let that go on.
I don't know what the LJ was looking at on those plays, at all. Handfighting is one thing, grabbing the WR by the collar & steering him out of bounds, again & again, is holding, period.

Nov 6, 2010
I don't know what the LJ was looking at on those plays, at all. Handfighting is one thing, grabbing the WR by the collar & steering him out of bounds, again & again, is holding, period.
The only thing I can think of is they were letting our DB's do the same thing. Of course I have no idea because that wouldn't have pissed me off. Either way, like you said, letting them play physical is one thing, but horse collaring the WR is ridiculous. I could cover Tylan if you let me grab his shoulder pads and just go for a ride.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Saw Wallace get into a heated conversation with the guy who was covering him. That might be enough to get him into the game.

Not sure what's going on with Chuba. Doesn't help that he's getting hit behind the line of scrimmage every play,. Or could be something else. He didn't seem too interested in going after that fumble in the first half.
The defender had his leg in such a way that had he struggled much, it could have been damaging.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Honestly I don't recall, was Les Lunt 6-6 and 220? Did he throw only 2 picks his entire Senior year in 5a California football? Honestly, I don't remember. The play to the tight-end has me really impressed...especially without having practiced for 14 days straight prior to the game. Gundy said they even discussed not suiting him up.
Lunt was soft, no side steps to evade rushes, and fell down on finger touches

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Ch
Brown ran with heart. You could see how much he wanted it. The blocking was bad for both guys...

Chuba is top tier. But if your heart isn't into it...watched that fumble again and it just doesn't look like he cares about what's happening at that moment.

Maybe Chuba will come out more motivated next game. If not for the team, then for personal gain in the draft rankings. Otherwise, I hope we see more of Brown.
Chuba did not cuba enough.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Mike Gundy is such a good coach. He always makes amazing half time adjustments.

Unranked next week.
Normally, against lesser competitions, we did not open up the play book until the 2nd or the 3rd series.

Pat Jones school, that it is good to try to establish the bread and butter run up the middle early in the game.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
No he wasn't, but he set the freahman record for pasing yards with 436:
View attachment 85765
Yep I was at that game and he threw a pick six that lost us the game trying to force something. I think Illingworth is a mischievous better prospect than was Lunt. He just looked the part out there. Of course Lunt was a talent and is on the Viking practice squad so I think he just never met his expectations for one reason or another. He is an example of, let’s not get too excited...so I can see that, just feel this is different, more roudolph and less Lunt at least in demeanor and Command of the offensive played on the drives he was in.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Yep I was at that game and he threw a pick six that lost us the game trying to force something. I think Illingworth is a mischievous better prospect than was Lunt. He just looked the part out there. Of course Lunt was a talent and is on the Viking practice squad so I think he just never met his expectations for one reason or another. He is an example of, let’s not get too excited...so I can see that, just feel this is different, more roudolph and less Lunt at least in demeanor and Command of the offensive played on the drives he was in.
Any of our QBs that is good enough make an NFL back up or practice squad is something to get excited about.

Doesn't need to be a first round pick to be a good enough QB to win lots of games in Big12.

Aug 7, 2006
Injuries ultimately kept Wes from reaching his full potential. Also, the situation at Illinois wasn't the best either. He had 3 different head coaches the 3 years he played there. Would've been interesting to see what he could've done with Monken for 4 years... and also stayed healthy.

gundysburner

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Injuries ultimately kept Wes from reaching his full potential. Also, the situation at Illinois wasn't the best either. He had 3 different head coaches the 3 years he played there. Would've been interesting to see what he could've done with Monken for 4 years... and also stayed healthy.
Pretty short list of OSU QB's that threw for 400+ in their first road game. That AZ team went 8-5, lost to 4 ranked teams (one in OT) & beat #10 USC.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Pretty short list of OSU QB's that threw for 400+ in their first road game. That AZ team went 8-5, lost to 4 ranked teams (one in OT) & beat #10 USC.
Yep, we won 8 that year as well...we finally figured out CC should be the starter and took OU to OT in Norman and beat Purdue like a drum in Dallas in the bowl.

Nov 18, 2010
Wallace with a huge acrobatic first down catch when we absolutely had to have it in the fourth quarter. WV coming back and we desperately need to keep this drive going.

Under review, but he caught that ball.