Wacky news of the day

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
This is a permanent thread for news stories that are full of fail, or win (depending on your perspective). Here's my inaugural submission. From NBC News:

Aaargh! Ladies of English town misunderstand intent of pirate night
By Peter Jeary, Senior Foreign Desk Editor, NBC News

A women's group in southwest England had an embarrassing encounter at a recent meeting when members misinterpreted the idea behind a visiting speaker's talk about pirates.

The Parkham Women's Institute, a venerable institution traditionally devoted to home-spun handicrafts and good works, decided to get into the spirit of Captain Colin Darch's talk by dressing in pirate garb. Neckerchiefs, eye patches and pirate hats were widely sported, with a toy parrot thrown in for good measure.

Unfortunately, Captain Darch's topic focused on his 2008 ordeal at the hands of Somali pirates in the Indian Ocean, when he was held hostage for more than six weeks.

According to The North Devon Journal newspaper, a report from the Women's Institute meeting said that after some initial embarrassment: "Everyone sat down to listen to Darch's story and what a story it was. Absolutely fascinating and gripping. If you ever get a chance to hear Colin speak grab the opportunity because he is a great raconteur and very humorous."

The Women's Institute could not be reached for comment.

The 75-year-old retired sea captain said he was initially not sure what was going on: "It felt strange to be talking to a group of ladies with blue rinses and rubber daggers," he said.

"Then when it became clear that my talk on piracy was about my experiences, and not about piracy in general, they were obviously rather embarrassed."

The sea dog's sense of humor clearly came to the rescue when he was asked to judge the best-dressed-pirate competition.

"They asked me to judge them all on a scale of 0 to 10. However, I thought it better to simply choose a winner. I chose the lady with the toy parrot – although, to be honest, it looked more like a fluffy chick."

Darch was speaking to the Women's Institute to promote his book about his life and times on the high seas, including the 47 days he was held by pirates. He and his shipmates were eventually released after a ransom was paid.

Despite the mix-up, Darch harbors no hard feelings and does not expect anyone to walk the plank.
"They gave me such an enthusiastic welcome, it almost made cry," Darch said. "And I managed to sell a few books too, which was nice."

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Thief Steals $153,000 Worth of Cold-Pressed Juice

May 7, 2013 at 8:04AM by Zoe Bain | 7 Comment

Strange food-related crimes seem to be on the rise, and after a huge Nutella heist a few weeks ago, the latest food caper is juice. That's right, one man stole a truck filled with 15,303 bottles of BluePrint Juice.

According to the New York Post, the robber was able to steal $153,000 worth of juice drinks from BluePrint. The company is one of the popular options for people participating in a juice cleanse, a trend that continues to grow. People around the country order BluePrint juices, which come in a variety of flavors, from fruits to vegetables to nut milks, and sell for a steep $10 per bottle.
The thief was able to steal a truckload of juices in Queens when he impersonated a delivery driver. He stole 15,303 juice bottles after successfully loading his truck with 13 pallets and signing a shipment slip. BluePrint didn't know that he was not one of their drivers until later in the day when their actual employee showed up for work.
While the juice thief was successful with his liquid heist, it turns out that he stole bottles that had yet to be pressurized. Without that step in the production process, a BluePrint juice is only good for about five days instead of 30. BluePrint cleanses are typically made up of 6 bottles per day, so that thief better get drinking.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
From Salon.com:

Is breast-feeding “gross”?
A Playboy playmate backtracks after calling it "incestual." But each mom's choice is her own -- and not for debate
BY MARY ELIZABETH WILLIAMS

It’s inevitable that when you’re Shanna Moakler — Playmate, reality star, mother of three – and you’re talking to TMZ – celebrity-accosting, barrel-scraping, TMZ – you’re going to get asked about your breasts.

Naturally, it didn’t take too long on the gossip site’s TV show Tuesday to get into it. “So what do you think about breast-feeding, folks?” asked Harvey Levin, before segueing into a clip of Moakler in a garage somewhere saying, “I didn’t breast-feed. I’m selfish.” Tabloid jackpot! “I look at my breasts as like, sexual,” she explained, while gesturing in the vicinity of her famed front matter. “I think it’s like, incestual. It’s gross. I don’t like it. Sorry.”

Later, she called the show to clarify her stance.

“I understand this debate,” she said. “I’m highly educated on it…. I’m not saying that women who breastfeed are incestual or gross by any means. I celebrate breastfeeding. I think women should be able to do it in public. I will stand arm in arm for women’s rights to do it. When I personally tried to do it. It felt wrong. It felt immoral and it felt incestual and it wasn’t a good fit for me. I’m so sick and tired of women who are pro-breastfeeding – which is awesome – putting down other women who either don’t want to do it, don’t like it, have bad feelings about it, or physically can’t do it…. When I tried to do it, it didn’t feel like a wonderful bonding experience. It felt immoral to me and so I chose not to and I chose formula…. You can’t tell me that feelings are wrong.”​
Moakler may have a lot of baggage around the breasts that are such a prominent part of her allure and her resulting career. Nor is it super-convincing to play the “I find this practice gross and immoral, but more power to the rest of you!” card. And yes, I would love to live in a world where women who’ve given birth aren’t accosted in parking garages by TMZ cameramen looking for an excuse to pry into their private choices while perving on their breasts.

But ultimately, the strangest part of the whole conversation wasn’t anything that Moakler said. It was Levin observing, “It seems what you’re saying is that breasts are a sexual part of the body” and his co-host Charles Latibeaudiere cracking, “And the people who love you.” Their assessment was followed by Mike Walters endorsing Moakler as “a great mother” before expressing his concerns about her babies not getting their all-important colostrum.

“Why wouldn’t you go ahead and do it?” Walters asked.

I don’t know — maybe because she doesn’t give a toss what you think about her lactation, Dr. Spock? Because arguments about breast-feeding are almost always unwinnable?

If you don’t breast-feed, you run the risk of being judged by some random dude who wants to lecture you on whether you’re “bonding” correctly. Meanwhile, if you declare, as former “Wonder Years” star and mathematician Danica McKellar did last week, that you’ve recently weaned your 2-and-a-half year-old, you’re starring in a creepy Us magazine story about how you’ve “finally” stopped nursing – followed by a slew of comments underneath about how “insecure” and “not normal” you must be. These are your options, ladies!

It’s clear from both women’s public comments about their experiences – and the strong reactions to them – that we have a hell of a lot of work to do regarding our cultural hang-ups about breast-feeding. We sexualize breasts to the point that their inherent maternal function makes people uneasy. We insist that breast is best, but squirm when women do it for any length of time. And while the Playmate and the math whiz don’t have much in common in either their careers or their parenting strategies, their candor — and their refusal to drum up some cheap sound bite to appease the cult of perfect motherhood — is refreshing. Their breasts are their business.

Mary Elizabeth Williams is a staff writer for Salon and the author of "Gimme Shelter: My Three Years Searching for the American Dream." Follow her on Twitter: @embeedub.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
From WSJ.com:

Need a Mustache Transplant? Visit Turkey
Hair-Raising Procedure Attracts Whisker-Challenged; Tourism Packages
By JOE PARKINSON

ISTANBUL—Turkey's economy is getting hairier, as a booming medical sector profits from a growth spurt: mustache transplants.

Long favored as a destination for the follicly challenged, Turkey's cosmetic surgeons have for years offered hair implants to those who are balding on top. Now hair transplants for the face are growing in popularity, cosmetic surgeons and tourism agencies say, with men from the Middle East, Europe and Asia coming to Istanbul seeking a virile addition for the upper lip.

The procedure uses a technique called follicle-hair extraction, in which doctors remove clusters of hair from the more hirsute areas of the body and implant them along the lip or cheeks to magnify a mustache or beef-up a beard.

Performed under local anesthetic, the surgery takes around five hours and can cost up to $5,000, cosmetic surgeons say. Tourism agencies have begun offering "transplant packages" combining facial-hair operations with a shopping vacation in Istanbul or beachside retreat on the Mediterranean coast.

Most customers are foreigners, according to surgeons, as Turkey's emergence as a place for facial-hair transplants comes as the number of Turks wearing mustaches has declined sharply.

Selahattin Tulunay is one of the surgeons profiting from this bewhiskered boom. From his surgery clinic in an upscale neighborhood known as Istanbul's Beverly Hills, Dr. Tulunay started facial follicle transplants two years ago and now says he completes up to 60 such operations a month.

"The mustache is making a comeback. If a man's mustache doesn't grow, he wants to know he can have one as a mark of masculinity," he said, leafing through a photo album showcasing his most-prized creations.

"Our customers know that if they pay, we can deliver the results," he said.

A 34-year-old businessman from Erbil, in northern Iraq, said he traveled to Dr. Tulunay's surgery clinic after years of low self-esteem over the patchy hair growth on his upper lip.

"The mustache is very important in our culture and my wife supported me to get the operation. Now I feel much better. I've recommended it to my friends," he said.

Facial-hair transplants are at the fringe of a broader health-care tourism boom in Turkey, which last year generated $1 billion in revenues. The number of visitors Turkey welcomed specifically for surgical procedures rose to 270,000 last year from 156,000 in 2011, according to data from a 2012 report by Turkey's Health Ministry.

The report showed 100,000 people traveled to Turkey specifically for plastic surgery in 2012, although the numbers don't break out figures for facial-hair transplants.

Surgeons say many patients request the full-bodied mustache worn by Turkish singer Ibrahim Tatlises, pictured here in 2008.

The mustachioed and bearded stars of Turkish soap operas—wildly popular across the Middle East, North Africa and the Balkans—have helped repopularize facial hair as a symbol of virility and machismo. Surgeons say many patients request the full-bodied mustache worn by Turkish singer Ibrahim Tatlises, which has long set the standard for top-drawer whiskers. Another popular style is the stubble beard worn by Turkish TV show heartthrob and model Kivanç Tatlitug, surgeons say.

"My patients often bring pictures of the stars they want to look like, but I never do what they say because it wouldn't suit their face," says Canan Melike Koksuz, a surgeon at Isom, an Istanbul cosmetic surgery practice, which says it has welcomed chief executives and celebrities from as far away as China and Australia for hair transplants.

"Once there was less demand because facial hair was more political, but now mustaches and beards are more fashionable, and people want to look trendy," she says.

It isn't only men who are seeking ways to emulate Turkey's rising stars. Clinics in the Middle East have reported that Arab women, who previously favored the full lips, small noses and protruding cheekbones of Lebanese singers, are now requesting the more natural looks of Turkish soap stars.

"Turkish TV series have introduced the natural look. Women who had nose remodeling operations in the past are now unhappy with the shape; they want their tip-tilted noses to look more natural," says Zekeriya Kul, a plastic surgeon who says he recently moved from Dubai to his native Turkey to profit from the surgery boom.

Some surgeons warn of a darker side to the industry's expansion—the emergence of cowboy operators unqualified to operate on patients. Dr. Melike Koksuz says some patients have complained to the health ministry, which has issued fines or shuttered unlicensed clinics. The ministry confirmed the government has seen cases of poor surgery but didn't elaborate on official penalties.

"The problem for patients is that they see a website and buy the product. They don't know until after the operation that there was a problem," Dr. Melike Koksuz says.

According to surgeons and agencies specializing in transplant tourism, the vast majority of the clients come from the Middle East, where facial hair still bristles with political meaning.

To be clean shaven has for decades been a political statement of solidarity with the secular, Westernizing elites who were pre-eminent across much of the Arab world until the series of uprisings that came to be known as the Arab Spring.

Despite Turkey's emergence as a hub for facial hair transplants, the number of Turkish men wearing mustaches has declined rapidly, according to pollsters. A study by Istanbul's TNS Market Research Company found that while 77% of Turkish men had mustaches in 1993, the figure fell to 34% in 2011 and is still sliding.

The number wearing beards, by contrast, has risen to 24% from 18% over the same period, a sign for some that the country has become more religious under the decadelong leadership of the Islamist-rooted Justice and Development Party.

The grand mustaches of Turkish lore are these days a rarer sight in Turkey's gleaming office blocks and sprawling shopping malls. But many Turks still balk at the prospect of surgery to thicken one's whiskers.

"Personally, I'd be suspicious of a Turk who couldn't grow a mustache," said Cengiz Altug, a salesman from Istanbul who has worn a bushy mustache for 35 of his 56 years. "But if foreigners need to come anywhere for the operation, it should be here. The Turkish mustache is still the envy of the world."

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Navy to spend $37B on 'marginally useful' ship
Despite the price, critics say it lacks firepower, survivability and usability.

By Benzinga 6 hours agoLet's set the stage. You and your significant other decide to devote a weekend to repainting the family room. It's not an easy task, because the room is large with high ceilings, expensive flooring and a lot of heavy furniture. Not only are you going to paint it, but it's going to have one of those "faux" effects that take twice as long and more money in supplies.

You spend all the money, you invest all the time, and in the end, it looks nothing more than OK.

On a much larger scale, that's exactly what the Navy did with its Littoral Combat Ships, if a recent report from Bloomberg is correct. It seems like a great idea. Make a ship that's able to take on missions near the shore while also being able to operate in open waters.

Equipment could be swapped out, and, thanks to technology, it's manned by a relatively small crew of 40. Even better, the Navy doesn't have to wait years for a new ship. They're designed to be built rapidly.

The problem, according to the report, is that the ships are too thinly manned, there isn't enough firepower, and they are likely too wide to fit into their intended ports. And to paraphrase, the fact that there are two versions of the vessel makes for one big logistical and maintenance nightmare.

Adding to the problems, the Pentagon acknowledges that the vessels are being built with the lowest level of survivability to cut costs. Michael Gilmore, the Pentagon's chief weapons tester, said the vessel "is not expected to be survivable in that it is not expected to maintain mission capability after taking a significant hit in a hostile combat environment."

All this led to Rep. James Moran, D-Va., to refer to the ships as "marginally useful." The report, written in 2012, highlights what the Navy has heard for quite a while, but it isn’t admitting defeat.

Bloomberg reports that Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said the ship started out as a "mess" but has become "one of our best-performing programs."

The Navy has contracts for 20 of the vessels at a cost of $440 million each. Lockheed Martin (LMT -1.05%) will produce one of the variants, while an Australian company, Austal, will produce the other design. General Electric's (GE +1.46%) marine unit will supply the engines.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Rodman to Kim: 'Do me a solid' and free American

Associated Press – 13 hrs ago
SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — Former NBA star Dennis Rodman is tapping his friendship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un to ask for the release of a Korean-American man sentenced to 15 years of hard labor in the North.
"I'm calling on the Supreme Leader of North Korea or as I call him 'Kim', to do me a solid and cut Kenneth Bae loose," Rodman said on Twitter. He later called the tweet a direct response to a Seattle Times editorial that dared him to ask Kim for the release if the two are really buddies.
Rodman visited North Korea in February and sat next to Kim as they watched an exhibition basketball game. His trip came at a time of high tension between Pyongyang and Washington and was not endorsed by the U.S. State Department.
Bae is a tour operator who was arrested in North Korea in November. The North's Supreme Court sentenced him last week for unspecified "hostile acts" against the state. In a Foreign Ministry statement on Sunday, North Korea said the 44-year-old Washington state man entered the country with a disguised identity.
Bae is at least the sixth American detained in North Korea since 2009. The others eventually were deported or released, some after trips to Pyongyang by prominent Americans, including former U.S. presidents Bill Clinton and Jimmy Carter.
North Korea's Foreign Ministry rejected speculation that it was seeking a U.S. envoy to negotiate Bae's release, saying he is not a political bargaining chip.
Analysts have said North Korea may be using Bae as bait to open direct negotiations with the United States over its nuclear arms programs. Bae's sentencing came during a lull after weeks of threats of war from Pyongyang against the U.S. and South Korea.
The U.S. has called for the North to immediately release Bae. It relies on Swedish diplomats in Pyongyang to deal with Bae's case because the North and the U.S. have no formal diplomatic relations after the 1950-53 Korean War ended in a truce instead of a peace treaty.
North Korea has not described the exact nature of Bae's alleged crimes. Friends say Bae is a devout Christian and tour operator based in China who traveled frequently to North Korea to feed orphans.
Rodman said after his trip to North Korea that he planned to return in August to vacation with Kim, a diehard basketball fan.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
'Charlie Brown' actor to serve sentence in rehab

ELLIOT SPAGAT, AP
37 minutes ago

SAN DIEGO (AP) — The man who was the original voice of Charlie Brown in "Peanuts" television specials was sentenced Wednesday to a year in jail for threatening his former girlfriend and stalking her plastic surgeon, then immediately released to a residential drug treatment center.
A judge warned Peter Robbins that he could be sent to prison for nearly four years if he violates the terms of his probation.
"Don't be a blockhead," Superior Court Judge Dwayne Moring told Robbins, borrowing a line from Charlie Brown's friend Lucy.
Robbins, 56, choked back tears as he told the judge that treatment for alcoholism and addiction to prescription medications would be a first step toward becoming "the fun-loving person" he was. He said he loved his former girlfriend, and he apologized to her and her plastic surgeon "for any fear that I caused."
Robbins, who has been in jail since his arrest in January and pleaded guilty in April, received five years' probation. He was ordered to pay the plastic surgeon $15,082 in restitution and to avoid contacting her for 10 years.
Prosecutors have said Robbins called the former girlfriend as many as 37 times over 24 hours, threatening to kill her and her son if she didn't return his dog and car. He allegedly followed the plastic surgeon, calling her office so frequently that she moved to a hotel and hired an armed guard. Prosecutors said he demanded a refund for his ex-girlfriend's breast enhancement.
Robbins starred as Charlie Brown in the 1965 debut "A Charlie Brown Christmas" and held the role in five other television specials, including "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" in 1966.
Scott McGuire, who helps run a Peanuts history website called FiveCentsPlease.org, said every "Peanuts" producer since Robbins' final television special in 1969 has sought actors who can match his voice. McGuire said they have generally succeeded, but Robbins "remains the definitive version of Charlie Brown."
Robbins, whose acting career ended soon after his final Peanuts show, told National Public Radio in 2006 that he was living in the Los Angeles area, where he owned and managed several apartment buildings. At the time, he said he was single and had a dog named Snoopy.
Associated Press

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
A/V Subscriber
Sep 24, 2007
I think this qualifies:

VIDEO: Bear on bike eats monkey after sick circus race
POSTED: Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 7:54 AM
Mike Bertha

(Screenshot via Daily Mail)

This is not your typical Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey kind of circus. A video, believed to have been filmed at the Shanghai Wild Animal Park, has started to make the rounds on the Internet. It shows a bear and two monkeys in a bicycle race. After a push from the humans, the animals make two laps around a small track before one of the monkeys crashes into the bear and gets trapped beneath its bicycle.

The folks at the circus rush over to try to stop the bear from eating the monkey, while others take the second monkey away from the scene.

It is not clear when the latest video was taken but Shanghai Wild Animal Park said in 2006 that the Olympic event had been scrapped following complaints and 'out of consideration for the safety of our visitors.'

Stunts in the show had included making bears box one another and ride bicycles, kangaroos boxing humans and monkeys lifting weights. [Daily Mail]​
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE A BEAR EAT A MONKEY, THEN DON'T WATCH THE VIDEO.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/VIDEO-Bear-on-bike-eats-monkey-after-circus-race.html

I have watched the video, btw, and while I certainly feel bad for the monkey, I have to admit I found it hilarious. As is the caveat at the end of the article.

zachya

Scoopski Potatoes
A/V Subscriber
Dec 14, 2004
Silmaria
...in his defense, the monkey had an annoying habit of thwarting the bear's picinic basket capers...

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I have two questions about this story: 1) why would you wait so long before getting help, and 2) if it was a 132 lb penis would you have the surgery to fix it?

'It has saved my life': Man with 132lb scrotum speaks of relief after surgery to have it removed is a success
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 10:51 EST, 8 May 2013 | UPDATED: 12:22 EST, 8 May 2013

A man whose scrotum swelled to weigh more than 130lb has spoken of his relief after he had most of removed via surgery.

Wesley Warren Jr.,from Las Vegas, drew international attention last year for the mass that made his day-to-day life a nightmare.

But he is now recovering after a team of surgeons in California led by Dr Joel Gelman spent nearly 13 hours operating on the 48-year-old for free.

Mr Warren, who is staying at a nursing home in Orange, California, said he can finally wear normal underwear and pants, but he is not yet used to the dramatic change.

'My body is acclimatising,' he told ABC news.

'I'm still not able to get around much and enjoy driving or going to dinner. But I intend to make up for it and treat myself to a truly fabulous meal and enjoy relaxing for at least a few days.'

He said he would like to enjoy a meal of scampi served over fettuccini with a rack of lamb - having been eating only vegetarian meals at the nursing home.

'It's all part of the pathetic life one has to deal with trying to recuperate from such a devastating handicap,' he said.

'I call Dr. Gelman my lifesaver, and I'm grateful to him and all those caring fans of 'The Howard Stern Show' that have supported me through this,' he said.

'I cannot express,' he added, with an emotional pause. 'Enough cannot be said.'

On April 8, Gelman and three other physicians cut away simultaneously on the grossly enlarged protective sac of skin and muscles that contained Warren's testicles and penis, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal.

'There are a lot of shows about makeovers, but this is a real makeover,' Dr. Joel Gelman, who heads the Center for Reconstructive Urology at the University of California, Irvine, said of the procedure.

'He's basically a new man.'

The mass caused by the condition, known as scrotal lymphedema, had grown to 132 pounds in less than two years.

Warren, who has blood pressure problems and asthma, had previously spoken of his fear of dying during surgery.

'I'd say we put that fear to rest,' Gelman told the newspaper.

The patient was hospitalized for two weeks, with one of those weeks spent in intensive care.

The medical center told the Review Journal that he was able to get up, walk and start physical therapy within a week of surgery.

Warren is now recuperating in housing near the hospital but it's not clear how long he'll have to stay in California.

'There is a lot of follow-up to do,' Gelman said.

The Las Vegas man last year seemed to be basking in the fame that his giant organ had brought him after an initial interview with the Review Journal.

It was even said the attention was the reason he initially turned down Gelman's offer to perform the $1 million corrective surgery because he would have had to give up the rights to his story.

A second doctor also agreed to waive most of the cost for the procedure but Warren said he stalled because of his fear of bleeding out on the operating table.

The watermelon-size scrotum Warren carried between his legs landed him on the Howard Stern Show and Comedy Central and made him a local celebrity in his hometown.

Firecracker Films, the company behind 'Big Fat Gypsy Weddings' signed a contract to make a documentary about him, which included the surgery. And he also shot a segment for TLC.

When Warren spoke with a reporter for the Las Vegas Review-Journal in October 2011, he became emotional as he described the pain and humiliation of carrying the deformed genitals. He said he suffered from deep bouts of depression and health complications.

He had to wear a hooded sweatshirt on his legs when he was out in public to contain his enormous scrotum. His penis was buried so deeply in the abnormal growth that he was forced to urinate on himself.

He only wanted to urinate like a normal man and have a romantic relationship with a woman, he said.

Warren claimed he was going public to raise money so he could afford the operation -- which required the trip to the special surgeon.

'I don't like being a freak, who would?' he told the Review-Journal.

But his reaction to an offer he received from Dr Mehmet Oz, the celebrity physician whom Oprah made famous, was disturbing.

Warren claimed the Dr Oz Show said it would pay for the entire surgery at a top-notch hospital.

However, the show would keep exclusive rights to tell his story.

He said he didn't take the TV program up on its offer because Howard Stern wanted him on his show again.

But he also said the highly complicated surgery had him fearing he could die on the operating table.

The massive swelling is caused by fluid building up in his scrotum. Doctors had to remove the excess tissue and then completely rebuild his scrotum.

There was also a chance that complications could force the surgeons to cut off his genitals if his scrotum didn't stop bleeding.

'I still haven't lost a patient or a testicle (in patients with problems similar to Warren's),' Gelman told the Review Journal.

The extremely rare condition is much more common in Africa and Southeast Asia, where it is caused by parasites, than it is in the western world.

Warren says he contracted it somehow when he hit his testicle with his own leg while turning in bed one morning but Gelman said he 'had no idea' how the man contracted it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ef-surgery-removed-success.html#ixzz2SpHr1kmP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
I have two questions about this story: 1) why would you wait so long before getting help, and 2) if it was a 132 lb penis would you have the surgery to fix it?

'It has saved my life': Man with 132lb scrotum speaks of relief after surgery to have it removed is a success
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
PUBLISHED: 10:51 EST, 8 May 2013 | UPDATED: 12:22 EST, 8 May 2013

A man whose scrotum swelled to weigh more than 130lb has spoken of his relief after he had most of removed via surgery.

Warren says he contracted it somehow when he hit his testicle with his own leg while turning in bed one morning but Gelman said he 'had no idea' how the man contracted it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ef-surgery-removed-success.html#ixzz2SpHr1kmP
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Note to self - be damned careful when turning in bed.

Feb 25, 2008
http://consumerist.com/2013/05/08/g...ch-n-sniff-natural-gas-cards-freaks-town-out/

Garbage Truck Full Of Educational Scratch-N-Sniff Natural Gas Cards Freaks Town Out

Responsible thing: An energy company sending out scratch-and-sniff cards that smell like natural gas so customers can learn to identify the smell in case of a leak. Unfortunate thing: An entire box of said cards compressed in a garbage truck that then travels through town and makes residents think there’s a widespread gas leak.
Several reports of a natural gas smell in a Montana town this morning led to the evacuation of several buildings in the downtown area, reports the Great Falls Tribune. But all that worry was for naught, said a general manager at the local energy company. He says workers came across extra boxes of cards while cleaning out a storage area, and chucked them in the trash.
“They were expired, and they were old,” he said. “They threw them into the Dumpsters.”
From there, sanitation trucks picked up the cards and crushed them, in effect, turning the compressor into a giant finger that scratched all those smelly cards. Cue freaked out townspeople calling the energy company to report gassy smells around the town.
Just to be safe, workers checked things out downtown for possible gas leaks, in case of a freak coincidence.
The company has apologized for the problem, with the manager noting that hey, at least people know what gas smells like.
“In a sense, it worked the way it was supposed to,” he said of all those calling in to report the gas smell.