W/L Prediction Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
No, we play eleven, Missouri state is not even in our division and we should not be playing them; that one does not count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There's more proof, you can't fix stupid...

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Missouri State - W
S. Alabama - W
Boise State - W (toss up)
Texas Tech - W
@Kansas - W
Iowa State - W
@Kansas State - W (toss up)
Texas - W
@Baylor - W
@OU - L
West Virginia W (toss up)
@TCU- L

I’m pretty confident in most of our games being wins, but I think we will lose 1 or 2 more than I’ve marked here. A lot more chances to stumble (10) than to elevate our record (2). Think we finish 9-3 or 8-4.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
No, we play eleven, Missouri state is not even in our division and we should not be playing them; that one does not count.

You can make up your own system for counting Wins and Losses if you want but everyone else AP, UPI, ESPN...etc. consider that to be a game.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
Missouri State - W
S. Alabama - W
Boise State - W
Texas Tech - W
@Kansas - W
Iowa State - W
@Kansas State - L
Texas - W
@Baylor - W
@OU - W
West Virginia L
@TCU- W

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
All I know is that anyone taking WV for granted based on last years game obviously doesn’t know how college football works. Our D was ok but Grier literally threw the ball right to us and was terribly off. He wasn’t even close to his WRs. I wouldn’t expect that gift again. It could happen. Not likely

With good QB play we can win them all.

With Average QB play we can lose 4-6.

I’ll go with losses to UT, KSU, WV and either ISU or TT. 8-4. We beat OU. 3 more home losses for the mullet.

My heart says we lose 1 or 2.

Last edited:

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
All I know is that anyone taking WV for granted based on last years game obviously doesn’t know how college football works. Our D was ok but Grier literally threw the ball right to us and was terribly off. He wasn’t even close to his WRs. I wouldn’t expect that gift again. It could happen. Not likely

I’ll go with losses to UT, KSU, WV and either ISU or TT. 8-4. We beat OU. 3 more home losses for the mullet.

I’ll go with your last statement and consider the rest your typical handwringing. With average QB play I thinK we only lose 3 but I think Corndog is a little above average so I think we only lose once or twice. There is a possibility to win them all if the defense is better than most expect.

stonewallpoke

Poke of Georgia
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Fort Stewart, GA

I don't think anyone is taking West Virginia for granted. I think people aren't fearing them based partially on how awful Grier played against us, but mainly on the fact that JD King tore them a new one on the ground in their place. Hill had an off day for him and we still won rather easily. If there's going to be one thing we can count on offensively this year, it's going to be that ground game, and there is yet to be evidence that the Mountaineers will be able to stop it this time around.

Grier might come out and tear it up this year, who knows? But I like our chances at home given everything we saw last year against them, not just Grier throwing us the ball like they were Tootsie Rolls on a slow moving Homecoming float.

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site

Th consensus of the pollsters is that we play 5 teams better than us. We lose 1 or 2 Gundy is COY. I like your positive attitude.

PontiacPoke717

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Nov 24, 2014
Lavon, TX
9 +2/-1

Gundy has proven with good OL play he can win lots of games. This is our best OL in quite some time (for sure since '13, maybe even '11). This offense should be built to dominate TOP, but also has enough weapons to score on any play both from the backfield (Hill, King, Chuba) and on the outside (Wallace, TBJ).

8 wins if QB is bad and defense is same as last year.

9 if QB is average and defense is same as last year.

10/11 if QB is good and defense is improved.

Feb 18, 2009
Putting the glasses and koolaid down, @KSU/@ou/@TCU all very tough games. Lost to all three last year at home, hard to believe we turn around and beat them at home. Hoping for one win here.

Boise, Texas and WVU also tough games but at least it’s at home. Don’t see us sweeping after losing at home three times last year. 2-1 would be acceptable but could easily be 0-3 or 1-2.

Not buying ISU or that Tech has a defensive pulse. Both at home. 2-0

KU and Baylor don’t count but BU in Waco will upset someone.

Could easily be the most entertaining 5-9 win season we’ve seen in a while.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
I'll go 8-4... with a definite loss to oU... and won't speculate on the other losses. Other than to say, we will have one of our annual guaranteed losses to someone we had no business losing a game to.

*Sorry, I've always been a pessimistic Cowboy fan.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Missouri State - W
S. Alabama - W
Boise State - W
Texas Tech - W
@Kansas - W
Iowa State - W
@Kansas State - L
Texas - W
@Baylor - W
@OU - L
West Virginia W
@TCU- W

Aug 31, 2004
Austin, TX
Just about EVERYONE plays one FCS opponent every year. Alabama plays The Citadel this year, Auburn plays Alabama St., Georgia plays Austin Peay, Clemson plays the "Mighty Furman Paladins", etc. It's not unusual.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
Putting the glasses and koolaid down, @KSU/@ou/@TCU all very tough games. Lost to all three last year at home, hard to believe we turn around and beat them at home. Hoping for one win here.

Boise, Texas and WVU also tough games but at least it’s at home. Don’t see us sweeping after losing at home three times last year. 2-1 would be acceptable but could easily be 0-3 or 1-2.

Not buying ISU or that Tech has a defensive pulse. Both at home. 2-0

KU and Baylor don’t count but BU in Waco will upset someone.

Could easily be the most entertaining 5-9 win season we’ve seen in a while.
I get the logic of saying “we didn’t beat them at home so I can’t pick us to beat them on the road.” It’s a bit of a blanket statement but I still understand the thinking.

But where I’m confused is why you don’t give us the same benefit of the doubt regarding Texas and WV? Leaving Boise out since we didn’t play them last year, how can you not apply the same logic in reverse in that we beat them on the road last year so we should beat them at home this year?

Also, ISU had one of the better defenses last season. I think they’ll be in the top half of the league again.

Feb 18, 2009
I get the logic of saying “we didn’t beat them at home so I can’t pick us to beat them on the road.” It’s a bit of a blanket statement but I still understand the thinking.

But where I’m confused is why you don’t give us the same benefit of the doubt regarding Texas and WV? Leaving Boise out since we didn’t play them last year, how can you not apply the same logic in reverse in that we beat them on the road last year so we should beat them at home this year?

Also, ISU had one of the better defenses last season. I think they’ll be in the top half of the league again.
Totally fair. I don't know much about UT or WVU outside of Grier and Sills. I know we have some questions marks that could be eliminated by the time we play both teams. If those questions are answered in our favor, I would absolutely drop those in the W column. If those questions are answered in the negative.....could be tough even at home.

Every team has some questions marks, I just am more plugged into ours and my thoughts were based entirely on not knowing how the QB and defense situations play out. So I went a little more pessimist than optimist I guess. I would wager we'd agree at a high % if we were talking over a beer.

Feb 18, 2009
In which game did we “play not to lose” and lost last season?
I thought we got relatively close at UT and in parts of the ISU game last year based on the flows. Wasn't the whole game, just in spurts.

Certainly wasn't Bedlam which is when most of the people who espouse to that theory get tunnel vision.