VPN Recommendations?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Any recommendations for VPNs? I'm about to travel on business for a week so I'm looking for something yo use while I'm on public wifi's. Also trying to decide if I should just order a month of service to cover my trip or sign up for an annual package and actually use it at home. We stream all of our media, no cable/satellite. I know it can be tricky with location based streaming services though. I'm looking at NordVPN and StrongVPN right now but have open ears. I don't use Kodi or anything so I'm not trying hide anything from my ISP in that regard so this is mostly a public wifi precaution deal for me (though I know privacy is a big factor for some people).

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Any recommendations for VPNs? I'm about to travel on business for a week so I'm looking for something yo use while I'm on public wifi's. Also trying to decide if I should just order a month of service to cover my trip or sign up for an annual package and actually use it at home. We stream all of our media, no cable/satellite. I know it can be tricky with location based streaming services though. I'm looking at NordVPN and StrongVPN right now but have open ears. I don't use Kodi or anything so I'm not trying hide anything from my ISP in that regard so this is mostly a public wifi precaution deal for me (though I know privacy is a big factor for some people).
We use Nord VPN. We don't usually notice its on, except for the speed. It slows down your speed a lot though

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
We use Nord VPN. We don't usually notice its on, except for the speed. It slows down your speed a lot though
Yeah, that's something I noticed on a few of the youtube reviews I watched. Nord seems like a pretty well rounded option apart from that. One of the reviews I saw put Nord up against Strong which made the speed difference VERY visible. This particular user was able to get 300+mbps out of StrongVPN while only getting around 50mbps from NordVPN. Nord was cheaper by a couple bucks a month though and even 50mbps would still be able to handle streaming a couple devices. (We previously had 50mbps service at our home and streamed fine.)

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Yeah, that's something I noticed on a few of the youtube reviews I watched. Nord seems like a pretty well rounded option apart from that. One of the reviews I saw put Nord up against Strong which made the speed difference VERY visible. This particular user was able to get 300+mbps out of StrongVPN while only getting around 50mbps from NordVPN. Nord was cheaper by a couple bucks a month though and even 50mbps would still be able to handle streaming a couple devices. (We previously had 50mbps service at our home and streamed fine.)
I can only stream 1 tv at home on Nord VPN with gig service. I have it for business and we tried it at home. Now I just have the app that I can turn it on my company laptop. @oks10
Screenshot (9).png
this is one of my offices with Pioneer DSL 100 down 25 up

without VPN

Download Mbps

Upload Mbps

Last edited:

State

Russian Bot
Mar 15, 2007
TX
2nd for PIA. Have used it for years. They're very privacy focused and have great service and customer support. They have desktop and mobile apps and you can download opvn files to run it on a router or NAS.

For travel I have a GL-AR300M router so I log in to the hotel wifi through it, then just connect to the wifi signal from the router.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
FWIW I ended up using StrongVPN on my trip and it worked well for me. Very easy to use and had apps for both my phone and my Chromebook. (Currently have my FireTV at home running it as well.) Probably the only things I think would be better with it would be a lower price ($10/mo if you just do monthly but 30-day money back guarantee) and the ability to have it turn off if you disconnect from wifi. There were a few occasions that I left the hotel and forgot to turn it off which used a little more battery than I'd planned.