Vote for "home of the brave"

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 9, 2007
awesome! let's start a nationwide petition then and get every school to stop doing it.

OU's the only unclassy ones though for doing it.

Sooners11

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
Aug 1, 2008
I hope you all feel really badarse if "Disrespect" wins the incredibly meaningful DOK poll which will undoubtedly lead to radical change, not only at OU, but also every other college and pro fanbase who do similar actions.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
I hope you all feel really badarse if "Disrespect" wins the incredibly meaningful DOK poll which will undoubtedly lead to radical change, not only at OU, but also every other college and pro fanbase who do similar actions.
The others are classy about it they don't say sooners.;)

leprechaun7

Erin Go Bragh
A/V Subscriber
Feb 26, 2007
Kansas City, MO
seanpharkin.wordpress.com
What baffles me are the veterans that say they are for saying "home of the Sooners."

Let me begin by saying I have great respect for any servicemen or servicewomen that help defend my right to jibber jabber on this message board.

I would think it would be the exact opposite. I would figure someone who has been to war and has been in the trenches would sing BRAVE at the top of their lungs each time the Star Spangled Banner plays.

I get the point of one of the comments on the page, the Vietnam vet who said talking Sooners with his fellow men got them a temporary break from the reality of where they were. But seriously, you are going to change part of our national anthem to reflect one small minority of the members of the nation's armed forces?

When we are at war or when a national tragedy like September 11th occurs, we aren't Sooners, we aren't Cowboys, we aren't Gators and we aren't Longhorns. We're Americans. From the land of the free and home of the BRAVE.

Oct 11, 2004
Oklahoma City
so knowing that your fellow fans are doing something disrespectful to this country doesn't bother you? great attitude!! :rolleyes:

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma

"I strongly believe that the words to the national anthem should never be changed."
David Boren
University of Oklahoma president

BY JAKE TROTTER Comments Comment on this article63
Published: November 13, 2009

NORMAN — A controversy is brewing in Norman.

University of Oklahoma football fans wave flags Sept. 11, 2004, during the national anthem at Gaylord Family — Oklahoma Memorial Stadium. Before each game, many OU fans shout "home of the Sooners” at the end of the anthem. The chant is causing a controversy. Photo by Bryan Terry, The Oklahoman Archive

"I strongly believe that the words to the national anthem should never be changed."
David Boren
University of Oklahoma president

But it goes beyond play-calling, injuries or development of the offensive line.

This controversy has carried into the stands at the University of Oklahoma, where two of the state’s passions are clashing: patriotism and Sooner football.

Before each game, OU fans shout "home of the Sooners” instead of "home of the brave” at the end of "The Star-Spangled Banner.”

And the debate rages.

Is this school spirit? Or disrespect to the national anthem?

"It’s really out of character for this state,” said Dick Murphy, a combat veteran from Boston, who moved to Norman after retiring from the Army and who buys season tickets for football and men’s and women’s basketball games. "I just feel it’s disrespectful to the flag and to the nation.

"It bugs me.”

Other fans don’t see what the big deal is.

"I’ve never meant it as disrespect,” Chad Edwards said. "It’s simply a show of school spirit. Only prior to an Oklahoma football game do I say ‘Sooners,’ rather than ‘brave.’ Our servicemen are brave and the national anthem is important, but they are just words. Not showing support for the troops is disrespectful, not what we Sooners fans say prior to a game.”

Nobody knows exactly when people began shouting "home of the Sooners” before football games, though the consensus is that the practice began earlier this decade.

OU President David Boren, however, is asking fans to discontinue the burgeoning tradition.

"I strongly believe that the words to the national anthem should never be changed. Especially the word "brave” should be sung because it can be taken as a reference to those who have fought and given their lives for our country,” Boren said. "I sincerely hope our fans will choose to sing the national anthem with the words as they are written and then shout ‘Go Sooners’ just after the anthem is finished. To me that approach is more appropriate and honors both our country and university.”

School officials have made other attempts to end the ritual, with no success.

Before the Baylor game last month, a video message just before the anthem explained why America is home of the brave, a covert effort at persuading fans to not yell "home of the Sooners.”

Some still shouted "Sooners” at the top of their lungs, while others around them winced.

"I cringe every time the song ends,” OU fan Eddie Joslin said. "It’s not that I think people mean disrespect, they just don’t know any better.

"People just don’t understand what the national anthem represents.”

Read more: http://www.newsok.com/many-fans-wan...5?custom_click=lead_story_title#ixzz0WkOGkZhN

Sooners11

Banned to Bedlam & Flame
Aug 1, 2008
I don't do it, but not because I find it overly disrespectful. I can see the argument though, and while I don't necessarily agree or disagree with it, I think there's significantly more important things to worry about.

The bottom line is, people talking, not removing their hats, no hand over the heart, not paying attention to the flag & song, etc annoy me significantly more than Sooners at the end.

And I strongly believe that even if someone says Sooners, or Chiefs, or Stars, or anything else at the end, that doesn't mean that individual is a bad American, or unpatriotic, or disrespectful to the troops. There's nothing I care about more than our country and our men & women in uniform, other than God himself.

Jul 25, 2005
And I strongly believe that even if someone says Sooners, or Chiefs, or Stars, or anything else at the end, that doesn't mean that individual is a bad American, or unpatriotic, or disrespectful to the troops. There's nothing I care about more than our country and our men & women in uniform, other than God himself.
This is the argument similar to that being used by many of those in the pro-"Home of the Sooners" camp.

They claim that they mean no disrespect, that they love the United States, and that they care about the servicemen and women who are protecting our freedoms.

If that were the case, however, let me ask you this: If those things really are so important to the majority of the Sooner fanbase (as many of them are arguing), why is it so hard just to say "brave"?

Is it really asking too much to ask OU fans to honor their country by simply reciting the National Anthem as it was written?

And people will argue that it isn't a sign of dissent, but rather a showing of school spirit.

To me, that means that Sooner fans are putting the selfish interests of themselves before the solidarity of their country, and if you fail to understand that even at its most base level, then I must assume you're probably one of those OU boosters who still thinks the Sooners have a legitimate shot at the national title this season.

Likewise, it has been argued by Sooner fans that they are simply practicing their constitutional rights. Freedom of speech is, after all, a right given to all citizens in this country.

That said, the mere ability to do something does not mean that it should be done. For instance, I am perfectly within my rights as a tax-paying citizen of this country to scream obscenities and flip the bird at the colorguard as they present the colors, but just because I can do that doesn't mean that I should do that.

Feb 9, 2007
what cracks me up is that OSU fans act all high and mighty about this topic when last year at the same time another one of these threads was floating around I saw a guy wearing an OSU shirt at my gym that had the American flag w/ OSU emblem instead of stars and said "Home of the Cowboys"

Hmmmm....but that's not disrespectful at all and would never deface the American flag or the anthem

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
what cracks me up is that OSU fans act all high and mighty about this topic when last year at the same time another one of these threads was floating around I saw a guy wearing an OSU shirt at my gym that had the American flag w/ OSU emblem instead of stars and said "Home of the Cowboys"

Hmmmm....but that's not disrespectful at all and would never deface the American flag or the anthem
vs a fan base

Jul 25, 2005

You're telling me you've never seen one of those flags in crimson with the OU logo on it?

Attachments

leprechaun7

Erin Go Bragh
A/V Subscriber
Feb 26, 2007
Kansas City, MO
seanpharkin.wordpress.com

Show me where I can find this man and I'll make sure to go AMERICA all over his ASS!

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
I read the DOK today. My theory is with the university president and almost every non-sooner fan against it and a significant number of sooner fans against it, this "tradition" will slowly go by the wayside. First there will be a strained attempt by many to display their right to be wrong. Then it will become a drunk test and only drunks will feel comfortable displaying their right to be wrong. Finally, it will be limited to just the arrogant, redneck drunks....hmmm... I am going to have to rethink this theory as that doesn't seem to lead to much of a decrease in sooner fans after all.