Visiting Pittsburgh next month - suggestions

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! We went from the airport straight to Primanti Bro's. Toni herself took care of us (It was a bit slow because we got there at 2 p.m., after the lunch rush). Carnegie and Univ. of Pittsburgh are two gorgeous campuses (right next to each other). I had no idea U. of Pitt was so freaking nice.

Carnegie Museum of Art/Natural History is a must see if anyone ever travels to Pittsburgh. I was overly excited (I'm a huge nerd) to see the "Gotham City Hall" and "Blackgate Prison"! (for those that haven't watched, it's from Dark Knight Rises).

Talked to a lot of Steeler fans who are looking forward to Mason to take the helm.

pitt2.jpg

pitt3.jpg
pitt4.jpg
pitt5.jpg
pitt6.jpg
pitt1.jpg
pitt7.jpg
pitt8.jpg

Nov 23, 2010
Vermont
Had to rub it in with Primanti Bros didn't you? Surprising how friendly Pitt fans are to people wearing Pistol Pete in their town.

Awesome photos and glad you had a great time in “Gotham”!

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I've been once on business but didn't comment before because I literally have no idea what the names of the places we went were. One of our sales guys for that area is who drove us around. What was really cool to me was driving into downtown for the first time through that mountain. Just minding your own business in a tunnel then the tunnel opens up and all of downtown is in front of you at a lower elevation. Kind of a crazy experience if you don't know it's coming (which I didn't). It's a good thing I wasn't driving. lol

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I've been once on business but didn't comment before because I literally have no idea what the names of the places we went were. One of our sales guys for that area is who drove us around. What was really cool to me was driving into downtown for the first time through that mountain. Just minding your own business in a tunnel then the tunnel opens up and all of downtown is in front of you at a lower elevation. Kind of a crazy experience if you don't know it's coming (which I didn't). It's a good thing I wasn't driving. lol
I know exactly where you're talking about (South Pitt). I rented a car for the 3 days.... $90. I usually Uber when I'm out of town but the cost from Pittsburgh Airport to our hotel (20 miles away, but U of Pitt's campus) was $44 ONE WAY!

But yea, it's crazy when you can go up the incline(s) on the South side and see the highway directly across at eye level, the entire city of Pittsburgh is 800 feet below you. Really a cool city.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Figured I would piggyback on this thread... @Steelers_OSU do you have any recommendations? Going to be there next week for the wrestling tournament... also will you be in attendance?

Staying downtown closer to the Point State Park and will walk across to the stadium for sessions. Pretty sure we are going to try to make it out to see CMU and Pitt, but also want to go to the Andy Warhol museum. Other than that, pretty wide open on what to eat and see while we are there!

Steelers_OSU

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jan 1, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Figured I would piggyback on this thread... @Steelers_OSU do you have any recommendations? Going to be there next week for the wrestling tournament... also will you be in attendance?

Staying downtown closer to the Point State Park and will walk across to the stadium for sessions. Pretty sure we are going to try to make it out to see CMU and Pitt, but also want to go to the Andy Warhol museum. Other than that, pretty wide open on what to eat and see while we are there!
Yes, I will be there (just got to work around my son's college baseball schedule). If your staying by Point State Park your more downtown, whereas PPG Arena is more uptown (so would be a decent walk depending where your staying).. JFYI, the OSU team is staying at the Marriott at Chatham (across the street from arena). A quick summary.. Nightlife spots are South Side (which you will be close too, is where all the under 30 crowd goes) and North Shore (right by Heinz Field). Warhol museum is cool (if into that). You will have alot of options for eats (from primanti's to upscale Eddie V's .. so whatever your looking for you could find in the downtown area).

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yes, I will be there (just got to work around my son's college baseball schedule). If your staying by Point State Park your more downtown, whereas PPG Arena is more uptown (so would be a decent walk depending where your staying).. JFYI, the OSU team is staying at the Marriott at Chatham (across the street from arena). A quick summary.. Nightlife spots are South Side (which you will be close too, is where all the under 30 crowd goes) and North Shore (right by Heinz Field). Warhol museum is cool (if into that). You will have alot of options for eats (from primanti's to upscale Eddie V's .. so whatever your looking for you could find in the downtown area).
Hmm well I'll be with my dad and I don't know if nightlife spots are going to be the go to... and this was the closest hotel we could book. It's about a mile walk, so really not too bad.

Do you have any thoughts on these restaurants?
Braddock's Rebellion
Butcher and the Rye
Southern Tier Brewery (I know it's not local... but seems convenient)
Sienna Mercato
Monterey Bay Fish Grotto

Would also love to put a face to the name at one of the sessions...