Visiting Pittsburgh next month - suggestions

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
My oldest daughter is looking at colleges in Boston, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh and at Syracuse. She is a vocalist and has been accepted to Boston Conservatory at Berklee, NE Conservatory, Boston U., NYU, Temple, Syracuse and Carnegie Mellon.

So I'm taking her to Pittsburgh the weekend of Jan. 25-27 (getting back to DFW on the 28th).

Need any ideas on the best place to stay (area) and things you suggest doing. Her vocal auditions are on the 27th and we will tour the campus then. So we have almost the entire day on Saturday to visit Pittsburgh. What things are a "must see" in a day and anyone have a good idea on where to stay? There are hotels by U of Pitt campus, which isn't far from Carnegie, but would it be better to stay downtown Pitt? Must visit restaurants?

Thanks for any help! I'm still in denial she will be 18 on Jan. 1st and will be going to college on the East Coast :(

SIDE NOTE: Anyone know how to make meth?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
My oldest daughter is looking at colleges in Boston, NYC, Philly, Pittsburgh and at Syracuse. She is a vocalist and has been accepted to Boston Conservatory at Berklee, NE Conservatory, Boston U., NYU, Temple, Syracuse and Carnegie Mellon.

So I'm taking her to Pittsburgh the weekend of Jan. 25-27 (getting back to DFW on the 28th).

Need any ideas on the best place to stay (area) and things you suggest doing. Her vocal auditions are on the 27th and we will tour the campus then. So we have almost the entire day on Saturday to visit Pittsburgh. What things are a "must see" in a day and anyone have a good idea on where to stay? There are hotels by U of Pitt campus, which isn't far from Carnegie, but would it be better to stay downtown Pitt? Must visit restaurants?

Thanks for any help! I'm still in denial she will be 18 on Jan. 1st and will be going to college on the East Coast :(

That took an odd turn.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Uhhh...what's with the side note...? I can't tell if that's sarcasm, with some inside joke buried in it.

I went to Pitt with my fiance for the game last season when we played Pitt. It's a cool city. I think staying in downtown or the university area doesn't really make a big difference, and hotels run the same price, as far as I know.

I don't know what kind of restaurants you like, but there is one called Tako, I think. It's kinda "clubby", for lack of a better description, but their food is so damn good. Pittsburgh in general has good food. There's also this place: http://www.siennamercato.com/

You can put together your own pasta bowl. It sounds cheezy like Olive Garden, but it's way better quality than any chain bullcrap.

There is a Courtyard by Marriott right across the street from it. The Downtown Westin is also nice.

That's all I can really think of. We didn't have a lot of time to let things "sink in". It was basically get into town, eat dinner, have some drink, go to sleep, wake up, go to game, leave Pittsburgh.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
The side note is obviously because whatever Ryno's daughter choses, he will have to contribute a huge amount of coin. Because none of that sounds cheap.
WINNER! The cost of these schools for ONE year is the cost of OSU or OU for all four. $45-65,000 a year. She's been offered a scholarship to Oklahoma City University, but that would still barely touch the overall cost of OkCU.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Don't forget to go here:

https://www.primantibros.com/

They put the french fries on the sandwich so you eat everything together. I was able to eat two one time, because I was insanely hungry and was on a MegaBus layover on my way to Philly. But I would advise just eating one your first time. :derp:

There's a little "town square" thing in downtown Pittsburgh that has a location. I'm sure there's one close to the universities as well. It's a local chain.

H2Orange

Sitting on the Group W bench
A/V Subscriber
Nov 17, 2007
Edmond
WINNER! The cost of these schools for ONE year is the cost of OSU or OU for all four. $45-65,000 a year. She's been offered a scholarship to Oklahoma City University, but that would still barely touch the overall cost of OkCU.
Would she be getting scholarship money to the other schools? What will she major in? If everything goes as planned, what would she be doing upon graduation?

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
I would have to wonder if that expensive of a college education is worth the investment. If you have the coin that's your business. If you or her have to borrow money to do it, I'd have to consider somewhere else.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Would she be getting scholarship money to the other schools? What will she major in? If everything goes as planned, what would she be doing upon graduation?
Yes, she will have scholarship(s). Already been offered several. Hopefully it will be close enough to cover her tuition. She has a 4.18 GPA at Plainview and is an Oklahoma All-State for all 4 years in high school (6 total) in vocal. For schools like Boston Conservatory, it's like recruiting an all-state RB.

She wants to be a vocal music major (Rylie has an operatic voice, which is still maturing, I can share videos of her singing if anyone would like to hear her, she's pretty amazing... as bias as I am :) ). She has a chance to perform for different musical groups... performing on stage for anything from an opera house to working on movies (both pay well, $1000-15,000 per performance). She's talked about going back to the Broadway route, which was her first love. She also talked about wanting to work with someone like Hans Zimmer.

She also plans on getting a degree in forensics.

Sep 23, 2018
Memphis
Yes, she will have scholarship(s). Already been offered several. Hopefully it will be close enough to cover her tuition. She has a 4.18 GPA at Plainview and is an Oklahoma All-State for all 4 years in high school (6 total) in vocal. For schools like Boston Conservatory, it's like recruiting an all-state RB.

She wants to be a vocal music major (Rylie has an operatic voice, which is still maturing, I can share videos of her singing if anyone would like to hear her, she's pretty amazing... as bias as I am :) ). She has a chance to perform for different musical groups... performing on stage for anything from an opera house to working on movies (both pay well, $1000-15,000 per performance). She's talked about going back to the Broadway route, which was her first love. She also talked about wanting to work with someone like Hans Zimmer.

She also plans on getting a degree in forensics.
That is awesome. It makes me happy to know Oklahoma produces non-sports talent like that.

I once took some voice lessons from a music teacher. I admire truly technically good singers, it is tough.

Dec 11, 2011
Go to Primanti Bros at lunch & add a slice of pizza with your sandwich; the pizza is damn good.

Monterey Bay Fish Grotto for dinner @ sunset. Pricey, but great view of the city & great food.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater

Yes, I know how to make meth.

Heisenberg 2.jpg

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
If for some reason you’re still in town on the 29th head over to PPG and catch the Pens.
View attachment 67109
We will be there 26th to the 28th. Besides... even though I took both my girls to games every year in Stillwater, my oldest has zero interest in sports these days :(

I even said "We HAVE to go to Fenway when we are in Boston!" and she said... "Eh, no thanks" :( Breaks my heart.

Nov 23, 2010
Vermont
We will be there 26th to the 28th. Besides... even though I took both my girls to games every year in Stillwater, my oldest has zero interest in sports these days :(

I even said "We HAVE to go to Fenway when we are in Boston!" and she said... "Eh, no thanks" :( Breaks my heart.
You have my sincere condolences my friend.