Very interesting very early stats

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Currently, surprisingly to me, Oklahoma State is sitting at #1 in Total offense (gaining 674.5 ypg) and #11 in Total defense in the country (giving up 237 ypg). Of course this is only through 2 games and is a factor of who we have played... Boise is #4 in total offense and #24 in total defense. Certainly this has a ton to do with who we have played so far, but it's still interesting considering the semi pessimistic attitude of our on-line fan-base currently. I would not have guessed these stats.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Bill Haisten mentioned a few of those stats in his column today...

“Our run-blocking is very below average,” the Cowboy coach acknowledged. “It’s got to improve.”

It seems a little nitpicky to search for flaws in an offense that averages 674.5 yards and 56.5 points per game.
However, when you consider that OSU got those yards and points against Missouri State (an FCS opponent) and South Alabama (a mid-level Sun Belt Conference squad), you should recognize that the Cowboys haven’t yet achieved anything extraordinary.

At 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Oklahoma State’s assignment is immeasurably more difficult than either of its first two games.

The Cowboys are the national leaders in total offense and rank eighth in scoring. Boise State, after having blown out Troy (on the road) and UConn, is fourth in total offense and fifth in scoring.

UConn is terrible, but the Bronco numbers and balance still were jarring: 818 total yards (400 rushing, 418 passing).

For anyone with an investment in OSU football, these numbers also command attention: Boise State’s Brett Rypien, the nephew of Super Bowl-winning QB Mark Rypien, has more career passing yards (10,543) than any other current FBS quarterback.

Jul 28, 2006
We are actually #9 in total Defense. While Uo is 59th in total D, but I had to listen to the Radio tell me how awesome their D was while Bill Haisten is telling me to realize my team hasn't accomplished anything yet. Yep, theres no media agenda.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
Currently, surprisingly to me, Oklahoma State is sitting at #1 in Total offense (gaining 674.5 ypg) and #11 in Total defense in the country (giving up 237 ypg). Of course this is only through 2 games and is a factor of who we have played... Boise is #4 in total offense and #24 in total defense. Certainly this has a ton to do with who we have played so far, but it's still interesting considering the semi pessimistic attitude of our on-line fan-base currently. I would not have guessed these stats.
Yes, but others have played soft schedules as well to open the season.

Referencing Sagarin for some idea regarding SOS.

Boise State played

Troy ranked #90
UCONN ranked #151

OSU played

South Alabama ranked #142
SW Missouri State ranked #168

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
We are actually #9 in total Defense. While Uo is 59th in total D, but I had to listen to the Radio tell me how awesome their D was while Bill Haisten is telling me to realize my team hasn't accomplished anything yet. Yep, theres no media agenda.
The nice thing is they don't hand out trophies until the end of the season.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Also interesting is that while Boise State's Rypein's QB rating is higher, he sits #11 in passing yards while our own Taylor Cornelius sits at #7. For reference, Kyler Murray is #40 in passing yards, but with an also very high QBR.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2006
Bill Haisten mentioned a few of those stats in his column today...
Might want to correct Bill. OSU is 9th in total D. In addition, it is indeed an accomplishment to be ranked in this position after this slate as good teams would perform extremely well against lowly competition. If the best you can do is to be ranked #1 and #9, that's pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018
Owasso
Maybe Texas should....it might help them get.....BACK!
At this point I think it would make sense for Texas to do that. They always lose those games anyway, and obviously playing the tougher competition isn't making them any better. Might as well schedule cupcakes and at least get 3 wins out of it.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah but Houston isn’t P5 either. The marquee matchup that year was Ohio State which unfortunately Oklahoma lost too. It’s nice to be able to rebound, win the conference and beat Auburn in the Sugar Bowl though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Right because Ohio State was ranked higher than Houston. See how that works?

Jul 28, 2006
Ou gets credit for playing a woeful UCLA team. Heck they built up FAU and called it a major game. Remember when they told us Middle Tennessee was a formidable schedule? They shape and reshape the narrative. They own it. They fact is we play nearly an identical schedule annually, when you consider the fact we will play a top five team in ou every year, giving oSu the greatest ranked foe on either schedule. Yet year after year we are told ou plays a more significant slate. When can you remember ou getting called out for a weak non con? They had em.

TypicalGooner

Territorial Marshal
Oct 21, 2011
Norman Trailerpark
Ou gets credit for playing a woeful UCLA team. Heck they built up FAU and called it a major game. Remember when they told us Middle Tennessee was a formidable schedule? They shape and reshape the narrative. They own it. They fact is we play nearly an identical schedule annually, when you consider the fact we will play a top five team in ou every year, giving oSu the greatest ranked foe on either schedule. Yet year after year we are told ou plays a more significant slate. When can you remember ou getting called out for a weak non con? They had em.
OU plays a name brand blue chip OOC opponent every year. They rarely play an FCS opponent. FAU was an 11 win team last year. G5? Sure. But they still had a respectable head coach (from a football standpoint) and were a top ten offense last year. UCLA is a blue chip program who recruits well every year. They play home games in the Rose Bowl for crying out loud. Chip Kelly is an extremely respectable college head coach and their team is talented. It’s not the biggest marquee OOC we’ve ever had. But it’s nothing to look down on. One thing I can say that you can’t, is I knew going into the UCLA game that OU was gonna drum them. You can’t say that about Boise State. Even with your “top ten ranked statistical team”.

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
OU plays a name brand blue chip OOC opponent every year. They rarely play an FCS opponent. FAU was an 11 win team last year. G5? Sure. But they still had a respectable head coach (from a football standpoint) and were a top ten offense last year. UCLA is a blue chip program who recruits well every year. They play home games in the Rose Bowl for crying out loud. Chip Kelly is an extremely respectable college head coach and their team is talented. It’s not the biggest marquee OOC we’ve ever had. But it’s nothing to look down on. One thing I can say that you can’t, is I knew going into the UCLA game that OU was gonna drum them. You can’t say that about Boise State. Even with your “top ten ranked statistical team”.

TLDR. Is this some GoFundMe type plea for ringworm topical cream?

Jul 28, 2006
Yes, but others have played soft schedules as well to open the season.

Referencing Sagarin for some idea regarding SOS.

Boise State played

Troy ranked #90
UCONN ranked #151

OSU played

South Alabama ranked #142
SW Missouri State ranked #168
South Alabama beat Troy last year. At the end of the day, you can't be ranked much higher than OSU is on both sides of the ball. That's about all you can do?

orngblkzebra

"All this endless thinking, it's very overrated."
A/V Subscriber
Feb 9, 2015
Shawnee, OK

What was FAU when they were scheduled?
Also, UCLA has been meh for a while. Chip just arrived...again- what were they when they were scheduled? A team with a brand but not necessarily a threat. Kinda like Tenn as well...

Last edited:

Jostate

A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Everybody has plenty of opportunity to prove themselves by the end of the year. No point in investing too much energy into debating whose cupcake has more icing.