Vegas odds to win big 12 (football)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
That’s OK, Oklahoma still went 39–11 behind him. And though he was more interception prone, he was also really touchdown prone too. And believe it or not even had a better completion percentage than Rudolph.
Jones ranks 19th among Big 12 QBs in career passer rating. Rudolph ranks 4th. There’s really no comparison, and that will be evident to the Steelers.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
That’s OK, Oklahoma still went 39–11 behind him. And though he was more interception prone, he was also really touchdown prone too. And believe it or not even had a better completion percentage than Rudolph.
Better by .35 %... not a huge difference there. It’s not like you’re talking about 5 or 6 percent.
True. But Rudolph is a legend and jones is some scrub.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
Jones ranks 19th among Big 12 QBs in career passer rating. Rudolph ranks 4th. There’s really no comparison, and that will be evident to the Steelers.

‍♂️ not trying to compare them. Just saying Jones was real good for OU

teachum

Wrangler
Nov 6, 2010
I think If you look at the qbs for the big 12 champs for say the last decade you’ll see a pattern that proves my point. So with regard to that it seems to mean very much.
My comment was more about the whole SEC plays defense, Big 12 plays offense thing. Of course any major conference champ is going to have good QB play, with the possible exception of Alabama, who's entire defense gets drafted in the first round every year.

Mar 31, 2011
There is nothing here that needs to be explained to me. My college football fanhood of OU doesnt mean I dont understand the sport. Umm, OU has almost always had great qb play, Bradford is just one of them. Are you trying to be sarcastic or something? They have been much better than 'decent'
Blake Bell
Trevor Knight
Cody Thomas
Landry Jones
Paul Thompson
Rhett Bomar
Nate Hybl

There are zero high caliber QBs on that list. A few long careers (only because OU has abysmal QB recruiting) and a few memorable moments, but zero high caliber QBs. Since 2000, OU has recruited exactly one excellent QB, and that is Sam Bradford. As a Sooner fan, doesn't that concern you a bit? Or are you content with always trying to rely on a transfer? Obviously, sometimes than can pan out well, but it'd make me nervous.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
My comment was more about the whole SEC plays defense, Big 12 plays offense thing. Of course any major conference champ is going to have good QB play, with the possible exception of Alabama, who's entire defense gets drafted in the first round every year.
I made exception for teams with really solid defenses.

Blake Bell
Trevor Knight
Cody Thomas
Landry Jones
Paul Thompson
Rhett Bomar
Nate Hybl

There are zero high caliber QBs on that list. A few long careers (only because OU has abysmal QB recruiting) and a few memorable moments, but zero high caliber QBs. Since 2000, OU has recruited exactly one excellent QB, and that is Sam Bradford. As a Sooner fan, doesn't that concern you a bit? Or are you content with always trying to rely on a transfer? Obviously, sometimes than can pan out well, but it'd make me nervous.
Firstly your your original post was "Other than Bradford all they've ever had are decent at best qbs. now your qualifier is that they have recruited only one excellent qb in Bradford since 2000. Having a decent qb and recruiting an excellent qb are two different things. Incase you didnt know, they got to two national championships behind Jason White, a heisman winner who was recruited before your demarcation line of 2000, good cut off there. But they achieved great success until 2004 behind White. Most issues at qb they had in the Stoops era until 2013 was due to the intended starting qb being injured or having been removed from the team, so it doesnt really concern me like you seem to think it should

01 and 02 they had Hybl because White got hurt. White was clearly the better choice for OU as he did great things in 03 and 04. High caliber qb play.

05 Bomar. who was a big time 5 star qb rated as #1 qb in the 04 class. If he stayed, probably would have been great. He ended up winning the FCS equivalent of the Heisman and got drafted into the nfl.

06 Thompson, thanks to Bomar being gone.

07 08- Bradford. High caliber qb play.

09-12- Jones. For all his faults, still high caliber qb play.

13- Knight. This is where the qb play started to falter and be real inconsistent. This lasted two seasons before Mayfield. Even though Bell is an osu killer =) well ,except for 2011 even though he did account for OU's only td.

All that was while having a defensive minded head coach. Now we have an offensive wizard hc who has a history of developing qbs. Worried? Have you been following recruiting lately? 5 star in Murray, class of 16 4 star Austin Kendall who had offers from all over the country. '17 Robinson, what an idiot. Class of '18 Mordecai is a texas 6A high school player of the year. And Spencer Rattler is currently the #1 qb in the '19 class. And the top rated dual qb in 2020 likes OU a lot too.

Mar 31, 2011
I made exception for teams with really solid defenses.

Firstly your your original post was "Other than Bradford all they've ever had are decent at best qbs. now your qualifier is that they have recruited only one excellent qb in Bradford since 2000. Having a decent qb and recruiting an excellent qb are two different things. Incase you didnt know, they got to two national championships behind Jason White, a heisman winner who was recruited before your demarcation line of 2000, good cut off there. But they achieved great success until 2004 behind White. Most issues at qb they had in the Stoops era until 2013 was due to the intended starting qb being injured or having been removed from the team, so it doesnt really concern me like you seem to think it should

01 and 02 they had Hybl because White got hurt. White was clearly the better choice for OU as he did great things in 03 and 04. High caliber qb play.

05 Bomar. who was a big time 5 star qb rated as #1 qb in the 04 class. If he stayed, probably would have been great. He ended up winning the FCS equivalent of the Heisman and got drafted into the nfl.

06 Thompson, thanks to Bomar being gone.

07 08- Bradford. High caliber qb play.

09-12- Jones. For all his faults, still high caliber qb play.

13- Knight. This is where the qb play started to falter and be real inconsistent. This lasted two seasons before Mayfield. Even though Bell is an osu killer =) well ,except for 2011 even though he did account for OU's only td.

All that was while having a defensive minded head coach. Now we have an offensive wizard hc who has a history of developing qbs. Worried? Have you been following recruiting lately? 5 star in Murray, class of 16 4 star Austin Kendall who had offers from all over the country. '17 Robinson, what an idiot. Class of '18 Mordecai is a texas 6A high school player of the year. And Spencer Rattler is currently the #1 qb in the '19 class. And the top rated dual qb in 2020 likes OU a lot too.
My point didn't change, I just thought i'd highlight the fact that OU is rubbish at recruiting QBs, because of that, they consistently have to get by with mediocre quarterback play. OU could probably have Alabama's recent championships if they would have swung a few respectable QBs.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
If you say so. I'll take their rubbish qb recruiting, because 3 of them have won the Heisman. So i would say that most people would disagree with your assessment about OU quarterbacks.

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
If you say so. I'll take their rubbish qb recruiting, because 3 of them have won the Heisman. So i would say that most people would disagree with your assessment about OU quarterbacks.
I think that at least one of those recent QB Heisman could have had the same statistics on another team and not won the Heisman. Part of the reason they won the Heisman was the fact they were the trigger man on a team with a lot of wins. I didn't take time to go check, but I think the year Jason White won their were other QB's with equivalent or better pure QB statistics. And he had Peterson as a RB who came in second for the Heisman voting. Jason White was a good QB, but it helped that OU just had a really good team that year.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
I think that at least one of those recent QB Heisman could have had the same statistics on another team and not won the Heisman. Part of the reason they won the Heisman was the fact they were the trigger man on a team with a lot of wins. I didn't take time to go check, but I think the year Jason White won their were other QB's with equivalent or better pure QB statistics. And he had Peterson as a RB who came in second for the Heisman voting. Jason White was a good QB, but it helped that OU just had a really good team that year.
Well that's good, I think too. I think the 49ers will compete for the super bowl this year.

It's not just about stats though, because it doesnt always go to the guy with the most or best stats. I get your point, but White was really good in his own right. I think wins are a good barometer too, the best qbs also win, and he did it a lot. I can think of a few games OU doesnt win without him playing great. But its not just about wins either; its about who you beat. At the end of the day it's the combination of a bunch of different peoples opinions on who they thought was the best

Jul 9, 2011
Near Bryan/College Station in Iola, TX
Well that's good, I think too. I think the 49ers will compete for the super bowl this year.

It's not just about stats though, because it doesnt always go to the guy with the most or best stats. I get your point, but White was really good in his own right. I think wins are a good barometer too, the best qbs also win, and he did it a lot. I can think of a few games OU doesnt win without him playing great. But its not just about wins either; its about who you beat. At the end of the day it's the combination of a bunch of different peoples opinions on who they thought was the best
Yep - a "beauty contest" in some ways.