Vanderbilt Sarah Fuller

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Jackie Robinson breaks MLB's color barrier by taking an intentional walk and then is replaced with a pinch runner when he reaches first.
I'm not defending her I just don't understand your point. It was a non-returned squib so she didn't get protected on that play. Was there another kick later that a guy did, a pinch runner? If not, I don't see how she was protected.

And, Vandy fired their coach. I guess a chick kick wasn't enough to save that.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I'm not defending her I just don't understand your point. It was a non-returned squib so she didn't get protected on that play. Was there another kick later that a guy did, a pinch runner? If not, I don't see how she was protected.

And, Vandy fired their coach. I guess a chick kick wasn't enough to save that.
My beef isn't with her. If Jackie Robinson had been intentionally walked and then lifted for a pinch runner, would it have been his fault? Of course not, it would have been "the powers that be" that made a gimmick of it, not him.

I don't know what to think about Vandy firing their coach. I suppose someone would want that job.

Aug 16, 2012
Wait, what? Jackie Robinson is meaningless?
No, no, no, no. Robinson was a critical moment in sports history. Possibly THE most critical moment.

You stated if this kicker stunt was done in 47 it would have been meaningless to which I replied (poorly apparently) that in 2020 it is still meaningless.

Aug 26, 2004
It makes perfect sense. They made sure she wasn't going to get hit. It was a stunt, a gimmick.

"She did what she could"... so, that was her best kick? All she was capable of? And you don't get that it was a stunt?
No, it was your comparison to someone with Down's Syndrome. That was uncalled for. Not a positive statement for either situation.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Will you admit that it was a stunt and nothing more than a stunt?
That's the problem I have with it. Like @RxCowboy said if it's a real in game situation then that's great. But this seems really contrived. 20 years ago a female kicked an extra point-for me that was bigger regardless of the level they played at. I don't knock the woman for taking advantage of the opportunity but it was a squib kick and every P5 campus has a couple dozen people easy that could accomplish that. It's big if she gets a field goal opportunity (especially if it's meaningful) but this was just for show. That doesn't get remembered 5 years from now.

Aug 16, 2012
Aug 16, 2012
That's the problem I have with it. Like @RxCowboy said if it's a real in game situation then that's great. But this seems really contrived. 20 years ago a female kicked an extra point-for me that was bigger regardless of the level they played at. I don't knock the woman for taking advantage of the opportunity but it was a squib kick and every P5 campus has a couple dozen people easy that could accomplish that. It's big if she gets a field goal opportunity (especially if it's meaningful) but this was just for show. That doesn't get remembered 5 years from now.
Katy Hnida. She at least kicked in HS. What is forgotten is her first XP attempt, that was a PR stunt in a bowl game, was blocked. Her second attempt (where she was successful) was the following year in a 70-point blowout win. While her first attempt was a stunt, I have no issue with her second. She was a "Rudy". Not any good but she went to practice every day and eventually got rewarded with garbage time play.

Agree with the point that if squibbing the kick was the intent, there had to be someone on the team that could have done that without the woke fanfare.

Also agree that the qualifications attached to this stunt really makes it less relevant.

Aug 26, 2004
That did not provide the validation you think it did. The fact they needed a kicker does not validate the decision to go with her.

So you honestly think she was the best, or even only option. Nobody at a school with 13k students had any HS kicking or soccer experience, nor anyone on the men's club soccer team would have been a better option?

Uh. OK.
I never said she was the best or only option.

Vanderbilt dropped their Men's soccer in 2006.

I was only congratulating her for doing something.

By the way, as a graduate she is transferring to play at North Texas in 2021.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Katy Hnida. She at least kicked in HS. What is forgotten is her first XP attempt, that was a PR stunt in a bowl game, was blocked. Her second attempt (where she was successful) was the following year in a 70-point blowout win. While her first attempt was a stunt, I have no issue with her second. She was a "Rudy". Not any good but she went to practice every day and eventually got rewarded with garbage time play.

Agree with the point that if squibbing the kick was the intent, there had to be someone on the team that could have done that without the woke fanfare.

Also agree that the qualifications attached to this stunt really makes it less relevant.
When I first heard her story at Colorado I thought she was a trailblazer. When I heard what really happened at Colorado I was sick to my stomach. That bothers me about this. The girl kicking for Vanderbilt is getting credit for being the first P5 girl kicker, but Hnida sacrificed a lot for that honor. Fuller really was more in the right place at the right time. Hnida made it a life goal and she was rewarded with a teammate raping her. That wasn't right and to add salt to her wound some random chick gets to take her place in history because of a woke gimmick.

No knock on Fuller. She got her shot and more power to her for taking it. But her opportunity is cheap. This wasn’t empowerment. Hnida being a kicker and prom queen at the same time was empowerment. A girl I went to middle school with who played 7th grade school football because she wanted to (and is now on the sheriff's department) is empowerment. A girl who is a soccer star being asked to be on the college football team because of her talent is empowerment. Her getting a stupid cameo where she makes a lazy kick and trots off the field isn't. Honestly if they were going to use her like that she deserved better. I'm guessing she could have easily kicked a touchback. Why not give her that?

Aug 16, 2012
Vanderbilt is a power 5 school the same way that Bill Burr, Dave Chapelle, Kevin Hart and myself are all standup comedians.
Yep. A "Power 5 school" with six men's sports and an underclassmen enrollment of less than 7K. there are a couple a little smaller (like TCU and ND), but none with as few sports programs combined with the small enrollment)

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Coaching 12 and under youth football I had a girl on my team. She was my best defensive lineman. There was one game where she had the poor kid trying to block her in tears because she was whipping him so badly.