UT Will Probably Fire Charlie Strong

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
There have been statements from UT fans that they wished they had a program like OSU.
We've contributed to the grumblings about Coach Strong at UT.
Like our fans, many of their fans claim that any particular coach (head, OC or DC) need time. Some say 5 years to get the job done.

Well, a Shaggy Bevo poster posted this little tidbit and he made his point:

Let's see here:

#3 Michigan 2nd year coach
#5 Washington 3rd year coach
#7 Louisville 3rd year coach
#8 Nebraska 2nd year coach
#10 Wisconsin 2nd year coach
#11 Houston 2nd year coach
#14 Boise State 2nd year coach
#15 Florida 2nd year coach

Somebody please explain to me why we need to give this guy five years to produce better $#@! than what I'm seeing on the field? How many of these coaches were given more top to bottom talent than we have?

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
There is no probably about it, they are going to fire him. The only unknown is when. Used to it was a rarity to fire a HC mid-season but as college football becomes more and more a business, it will become far more common to make a change during the season.

Mar 23, 2013
LSU's mid-season change seems to be going ok right now. There is no reason for UT not to go ahead and do it if they intend to at the end of the season anyway

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
who they going to hire? Herman?
He might be too young and unproven. He might be a genius but with strong being let go after 3 or 4 years with a temp ad. So then your hiring a AD and a coach. tough spot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
There have been statements from UT fans that they wished they had a program like OSU.
Like our fans, many of their fans claim that any particular coach (head, OC or DC) need time. Some say 5 years to get the job done.

Let's see here:

Somebody please explain to me why we need to give this guy five years to produce better $#@! than what I'm seeing on the field? How many of these coaches were given more top to bottom talent than we have?
That looks like solid evidence that he's a bad hire.

wyzone

Banned
Banned
Nov 14, 2010
CC, Tx

Let's see here:

It all depends...OU had great players but poor coaching before stoops so one could see a positive change happening and Fl is in that boat.....at Houston where a coach left to a different job and wasnt fired the program was stable like at BSU, Louisville, and Wisconsin so they should be winning.

Nebraska, Washington and Michigan have hit home runs it appears. Michigan has the best coach in football IMO.

Bottom line is that if a program is losing and they fire their coach, it could take some time to rebuild ...but there should be improvement every year otherwise it was a bad hire. The key being improvement each year and UT has not really had that. I will give Strong props for not pissing on himself going against OU and BU last year like we did.

Last edited:

PistolPete'sMustache

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Aug 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Strong keeps hiring bad assistants. Shawn Watson was a disaster. So was Vance Bedford. He finally has a decent offensive coordinator but it's too late. He finally demoted Bedford but again, too late, and Strong supposedly is a defensive guy. The Texas boards act like they had post death penalty SMU talent when Mack left and I just don't buy it. They didn't have the stock of talent you'd expect from Texas but they certainly had equal or better talent than most of the conference teams that have been beating them regularly. There's no way he's not gone after this year. They'll make a run at Chris Petersen and there's a chance they'll get him, otherwise it'll be Tom Herman. They won't be a punching bag forever.

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
Is there a chance that Herman's success is a product of a good quarterback like apparently Strong's was with Bridgewater? If so, with that hire, it'll be a long road back for the horns. Much like Nebraska after Solich. They are just now beginning to recover from his firing.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Is there a chance that Herman's success is a product of a good quarterback like apparently Strong's was with Bridgewater? If so, with that hire, it'll be a long road back for the horns. Much like Nebraska after Solich. They are just now beginning to recover from his firing.
The Nebraska after Solich? That's a pretty poor excuse. That was years ago.

There was a guy name Bo Pelini, former ou ass.istant, for years with mediocre results.

Now they've got Mike Riley who was an excellent hire. It's a modern offense that has regenerated the Nebraska fans. Riley took his talent and made it work. And it didn't take too long. He's a much better coach. That and talent always make the transition much easier.
So, that means Charlie Strong is not a very good coach, because he has some great talent.

Last edited:

#1 Pokes Fan

Territorial Marshal
Mar 27, 2012
The Nebraska after Solich? That's a pretty poor excuse. That was years ago.

There was a guy name Bo Pelini, former ou ass.istant, for years with mediocre results.

Now they've got Mike Riley who was an excellent hire. It's a modern offense that has regenerated the Nebraska fans. Riley took his talent and made it work. And it didn't take too long. He's a much better coach. That and talent always make the transition much easier.
So, that means Charlie Strong is not a very good coach, because he has some great talent.
My point being Solich had double digit wins 4 of his 6 years at the helm. Since him being fired, they have had double digit wins only 3 times in 13 years. Another bad hire and the horns will have a steep hill to climb to reach their Mack Brown status.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
My point being Solich had double digit wins 4 of his 6 years at the helm. Since him being fired, they have had double digit wins only 3 times in 13 years. Another bad hire and the horns will have a steep hill to climb to reach their Mack Brown status.
If the Longhorns get the right coach, they already have the talent. I don't see a steep hill with the team. The boosters -- perhaps.
UT gets top talent. They're fast, as our team stated when we played them. They're just badly undercoached. And that's probably due to Charlie's selection of OC and DC more than anything.
They're terrible at blocking and tackling. Terrible.

I wish we had their talent down the line.
Don't get me wrong -- I love our guys, but I think that secretly Gundy would love to have their recruiting success.

Sep 8, 2014
The back 40
who they going to hire? Herman?
He might be too young and unproven. He might be a genius but with strong being let go after 3 or 4 years with a temp ad. So then your hiring a AD and a coach. tough spot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
If the fan base is jealous of our program, would they be interested in our DC or OC? We could make a straight trade, both of them for Major Applewhite, a case of Tito's and five passes to south by southwest.....

What would be the downside?

OrangeCrush

Territorial Marshal
Oct 26, 2004
Gateway to the High Plains
If the fan base is jealous of our program, would they be interested in our DC or OC? We could make a straight trade, both of them for Major Applewhite, a case of Tito's and five passes to south by southwest.....

What would be the downside?
You would have to do some trading with Cougar High to get ahold of Major Applewhite.

Oct 3, 2014
texas should fire charlie strong....they are terrible...IMO they never should have gotten rid of mack brown, he was winning more than charlie strong.....

Pokes28

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 26, 2003
Carl Junction, MO
facebook.com
Thing is that unless you are one of a just a hand full of coaches, ability and work rate are just a part of what makes a coach successful. How many coaches could do great in Boise? I think it is one of the easiest jobs in the country. There isn't a lot of competition for the players in the region and the schedule is easy for success. Look at guys like Les Miles. When everybody plays the same style, he's really good, but when teams start doing their own thing (IE throwing the ball), he suffered. The part that makes coaches like Saban and Meyer so great is that they adjust. Saban would love to just pound people and grind out wins, Meyer would like more of a 50/50 balance, but both realize that isn't the state of the game today, so both adjust based on their personnel. Both are amazing recruiters and even better game day coaches. Most all of the rest of the "really good" coaches have some holes in their game.

I've enjoyed watching Leach up at WSU. When he got there, he thought he could drill his team into becoming what he had at Tech. He couldn't. But he's slowly changing the makeup of the roster and the players are finally coming around. They aren't where his Tech teams were, but then again, he doesn't have Texas 7-7 football going on in his back yard that allows him to get kids that fit the scheme. But he is getting there.

Status
Not open for further replies.