USMNT

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
We've got FCD season tickets so I've already got my USA tickets printed! Can't wait for this one. Should be a great game before Olympic qualifying.

Sep 28, 2010
I'll be at the USA-Mexico game in Frisco. I live like 15 minutes away. Expect the crowd to be at least 80% Mexican, probably more lopsided than that.
I've been to USA v Mexico at Reliant and it was probably 75/25. A blast, but absolutely nuts.

Oct 16, 2009
Stillwater
Roster for the U23 Mexico friendly released today:

GOALKEEPERS (2): Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Sean Johnson (Chicago Fire)

DEFENDERS (7): Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Ike Opara (San Jose Earthquakes), Kofi Sarkodie (Houston Dynamo), Zarek Valentin (Montreal Impact), Jorge Villafaña (Chivas USA)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Gent), Dilly Duka (Columbus Crew), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Michael Stephens (LA Galaxy)

FORWARDS (8): Freddy Adu (Philadelphia Union), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Tony Taylor (Estoril Praia)

---
Pretty excited to see Mix in this one, also Alfredo Morales.

stonewallpoke

Poke of Georgia
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Fort Stewart, GA

DEFENDERS (7): Greg Garza (Club Tijuana), Perry Kitchen (D.C. United), Alfredo Morales (Hertha Berlin), Ike Opara (San Jose Earthquakes), Kofi Sarkodie (Houston Dynamo), Zarek Valentin (Montreal Impact), Jorge Villafaña (Chivas USA)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Joe Corona (Club Tijuana), Mix Diskerud (Gent), Dilly Duka (Columbus Crew), Jared Jeffrey (Mainz), Amobi Okugo (Philadelphia Union), Michael Stephens (LA Galaxy)

FORWARDS (8): Freddy Adu (Philadelphia Union), Juan Agudelo (New York Red Bulls), Terrence Boyd (Borussia Dortmund), Teal Bunbury (Sporting Kansas City), Joe Gyau (Hoffenheim), Jack McInerney (Philadelphia Union), Brek Shea (FC Dallas), Tony Taylor (Estoril Praia)

---
I wish more of our younger players were abroad, especially in Europe. Not a knock on them, I just wish we had better (younger) numbers in England and so on.

That roster is strong up front with Adu, Agudelo, and Shea. Hope we can stick one to Mexico.

Also, Joe Corona is just a great name.

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas

---
That would be my starting 11. My first off the bench would be Bunbury, Gyau, Jeffrey, and Villafana.

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
This is a very strong group of offensive players. Hopefully, they can continue to develop because God knows our senior team needs a proven goal-scorer outside of Donovan and Dempsey. Gyau has all the potential to be an awesome threat up top.

Sep 28, 2010
I'm excited to see what Mix can do if he's given some freedom to create in attack (which I think he will). He with Shea, Agudelo, Gyau, and Adu can do some serious damage to an opposing defense, this could be a really fun group to watch.

Pokeabear

Go ahead, make my millennium.
Banned
Feb 5, 2008
Saturn or Uranus
I'm excited to see what Mix can do if he's given some freedom to create in attack (which I think he will). He with Shea, Agudelo, Gyau, and Adu can do some serious damage to an opposing defense, this could be a really fun group to watch.
Love that you like the us futbol squad.

Oct 16, 2009
Stillwater
Is that what they have been running the past few games?
This will be Shea's first game with the U-23s, as he has been in Klinsmann's camps. Boyd is on the cusp of first team at Bundesliga leader Dortmund, and Gyua just played his first game for Hoffenheim. Boyd is a true #9 type guy that we will want for the 4-3-3 that Porter has always ran at Akron.

OSUndefeated

Federal Marshal
Apr 25, 2011
This will be Shea's first game with the U-23s, as he has been in Klinsmann's camps. Boyd is on the cusp of first team at Bundesliga leader Dortmund, and Gyua just played his first game for Hoffenheim. Boyd is a true #9 type guy that we will want for the 4-3-3 that Porter has always ran at Akron.
Interesting, thanks for the info. Is it crazy to consider running a 3 back formation with the amount of quality attackers this squad has, like a 3-4-3? Probably, but I wouldn't mind watching it.

Nov 30, 2011
Interesting, thanks for the info. Is it crazy to consider running a 3 back formation with the amount of quality attackers this squad has, like a 3-4-3? Probably, but I wouldn't mind watching it.
It's crazy because none of the defenders fit a 3-man back line. You'd be square pegging 3 round holes back there. Kitchen could probably play centrally in it and there's a chance Valentin could play right of him but it's a poor fit and inefficient overall, especially when you add the lack of players available to man those outside mid slots from a defensive perspective.

OSUndefeated

Federal Marshal
Apr 25, 2011
It's crazy because none of the defenders fit a 3-man back line. You'd be square pegging 3 round holes back there. Kitchen could probably play centrally in it and there's a chance Valentin could play right of him but it's a poor fit and inefficient overall, especially when you add the lack of players available to man those outside mid slots from a defensive perspective.
Yeah I don't follow the team nearly as closely as you guys do. I am pretty much clueless about what kind of players they have to work with sans the stars of the team like Shea. Thanks for the info though.

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
The U-23 team beat FC Dallas 2-1 yesterday morning in a scrimmage. The men fell behind early 1-0 but came back to win with goals from Shea and Opara. They also had to play two men down for most of the second half. Shea got carded twice, ironically against his team. Big showdown next Wednesday night against Mexico at PHP!

The US will then play 3 games in group play for Olympic Qualifying:

March 22 - vs. Cuba
March 24 - vs. Canada
March 26 - vs. El Salvador