USMNT

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 28, 2011
Auburndale, Florida
Sunil Gulati must resign tonight.
The old farts need to be removed from the team.

The youth movement must begin now!

Time get Sargent, Jesse Gonzalez and Klinsmann some caps.

Yeah I know the goalies are way to young.

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Iceland the size of Corpus Christi is going. They had to battle through Europe while we had to go through the weakest region in the world.
Another comparison: The population of Trinidad and Tobago is roughly equivalent to the population of Milwaukee.

The U.S. National team just lost to Milwaukee.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
Last night was painful. I am so sad, but at the same time, I really hope this serves as a major catalyst to break out of some of the hopeless cycles our federation has been stuck in. We don't need to burn the whole thing down and start from scratch, but we do need to make some changes. Most obvious is the manager, and I would hope the Gulati would be replaced, but honestly, I don't think that position makes a huge impact. Technical director and youth director positions have a much bigger impact, and we need to get the right people in those positions.

We have a great base to work witih. Brooks, Yedlin, Pulisic, Wood. These are all guys who are young enough and good enough that they can guide us in the future. You put them with rising stars like McKennie, Sargent, EPB, CCV and others. You have a pretty explosive team. We just need to get away from this current generation of players that are all potential and no results. Its been pretty tragic for them, but their chance is over.

zachya

Scoopski Potatoes
A/V Subscriber
Dec 14, 2004
Silmaria
Last night was painful. I am so sad, but at the same time, I really hope this serves as a major catalyst to break out of some of the hopeless cycles our federation has been stuck in. We don't need to burn the whole thing down and start from scratch, but we do need to make some changes. Most obvious is the manager, and I would hope the Gulati would be replaced, but honestly, I don't think that position makes a huge impact. Technical director and youth director positions have a much bigger impact, and we need to get the right people in those positions.

We have a great base to work witih. Brooks, Yedlin, Pulisic, Wood. These are all guys who are young enough and good enough that they can guide us in the future. You put them with rising stars like McKennie, Sargent, EPB, CCV and others. You have a pretty explosive team. We just need to get away from this current generation of players that are all potential and no results. Its been pretty tragic for them, but their chance is over.
...how about scheduling matches in stadiums he knows will sell out, but 2/3rds of the crowd supports our opponents?...

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
Haven't posted in awhile. I've missed you guys. I'm too upset to put much into words. I had a huge pit in my stomach all of last night and again this morning. Major changes are needed in the US Soccer organization. Let's just hope we get them.

milehighpoke

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 26, 2007
Denver
Interesting read, and makes me feel marginally better about the future. Hopefully these younger players continue to develop, because we seem to have a history of putting too much on these kids only to see them fizzle out.

The 1st comment on the article is really interesting as well. I've been out of youth soccer for a very long time now, and didn't realize how expensive it's gotten.

Dec 21, 2007
We got a lot of friendlies coming up. I want to see all of the kids playing with an eye on qualifying for the 2020 Olympics. That's the next major tournament. To name a few.

Erik Palmer Brown
CCV
Tyler Adams
Weston McKennie
Jonathan Gonzalez
Josh Sargent
Tim Weah

I'd expect we use our overage slots on Pulisic, keeper, and fullback, so probably Horvath or Jesse Gonzalez, and Yedlin.

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
We got a lot of friendlies coming up. I want to see all of the kids playing with an eye on qualifying for the 2020 Olympics. That's the next major tournament. To name a few.

Erik Palmer Brown
CCV
Tyler Adams
Weston McKennie
Jonathan Gonzalez
Josh Sargent
Tim Weah

I'd expect we use our overage slots on Pulisic, keeper, and fullback, so probably Horvath or Jesse Gonzalez, and Yedlin.
Agreed 100%. We don't play a competitive game until the Gold Cup in 2019 (sigh) - so there is no reason whatsoever that names like Howard, Guzan, Besler, Beasley, Wondolowski, Dempsey (heavy, heavy sigh), Bradley, Beckerman or Rimando make a roster between now and 2019 (or ever again for that matter). Out with the old and in with the new. It's time to let the kids gel and grow together.

milehighpoke

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 26, 2007
Denver
Agreed 100%. We don't play a competitive game until the Gold Cup in 2019 (sigh) - so there is no reason whatsoever that names like Howard, Guzan, Besler, Beasley, Wondolowski, Dempsey (heavy, heavy sigh), Bradley, Beckerman or Rimando make a roster between now and 2019 (or ever again for that matter). Out with the old and in with the new. It's time to let the kids gel and grow together.
I'm really bummed about Dempsey and Howard. Dempsey - because that guys still plays his ass off, I think his body is just failing him. I wish he could have gotten the all-time goals record, especially because his last shot was inches away from glory. I'm bummed for Howard because he hasn't really been in form the entire hex, IMO. Shame that he will go out like this.

For about 2 years now, Bradleys best plays on the field were after he lost the ball in a horrible position and had to chase somebody down.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa

Does Gulati at the least influence who will fill the technical and youth director positions?

It's my understanding that he has a massive impact on youth development and if that's the case, he needs to be gone yesterday.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
Does Gulati at the least influence who will fill the technical and youth director positions?

It's my understanding that he has a massive impact on youth development and if that's the case, he needs to be gone yesterday.
I think he is the guy that hires and fires but it's based on the recommendations of the board from what I understand. He is just a figurehead from everything I've read. Not totally sure what he does beyond carry out the board decisions and act as face of federation for pr.

Dec 21, 2007
Gonzalez
Yedlin (c) - Miazga - Carter-Vickers - Brooks - Adams
Rowe - Acosta - McKennie - Williams
Sapong

We should set up defensively versus Portugal and try to beat them on the counter. The 5-4-1 can morph into a 3-4-3 if the fullbacks and wingers decide to push forward. Adams plays right wingback for NYRB so it might be a stretch for him to play left wingback. Start Sapong because he's the best holdup forward on this roster. I'm excited to watch the young Americans play.