USMNT

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 21, 2007
Final thoughts. I don't love the 4-4-2 against solid competition like Costa Rica. We aren't good enough in midfield and our midfield kept getting overrun. We should played three in the back tonight against CR's lone striker in my opinion.

Against equal or better competition, we're better off in a 4-2-3-1 or 3-5-2. Bradley needs a Acosta or Dax playing next to him I think.

Pulisic needs to play in the middle. He thrives on the wing at Dortmund because they have world class players in central midfield

Dec 21, 2007
This will never happen but I'm going 3-5-2 tonight if I'm coach.

Howard
Omar - Cameron - Besler
Zusi - Acosta - Pulisic - Bradley - Nagbe
Dempsey - Wood

I love this formation because it allows Cameron to step up and act as a defensive midfielder if needed. Obviously Pulisic plays in front of Bradley and Acosta as the CAM. I don't think it's a coincidence that Bradley plays his best when paired with Acosta. He needs a rangy pacey ball winner next to him in midfield so he can do Michael Bradley things.

Zusi is a converted midfielder and would be a great wingback in my opinion. Nagbe could probably play wingback I think, and has Wood in front of him who's great at tracking back

milehighpoke

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 26, 2007
Denver
...how's everyone watching this? What's your favorite streaming site?...
Not sure about a streaming site, because I get BEIN...but I'd suggest slamming your hands in a car door and/or smashing your nuts with a hammer. Would be slightly better than watching this team do whatever the hell they are doing.

zachya

Savior of Mordavia
A/V Subscriber
Dec 14, 2004
Silmaria
Not sure about a streaming site, because I get BEIN...but I'd suggest slamming your hands in a car door and/or smashing your nuts with a hammer. Would be slightly better than watching this team do whatever the hell they are doing.
...midfield completely separated from the attack. Brucie walking the sideline like an Alzheimer's patient that wandered onto the pitch...

Dec 21, 2007
I've continually said it but since we have no fullback depth (Zusi and Beasley got roasted tonight), we should play three center backs. It helps us get more numbers in the midfield, since lately our midfield is so isolated in the attack

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
Gonzalez did such a good job during the Gold Cup of making himself look like a viable option again but jesus does he makes some bone headed plays under pressure. Not that Beslar looked like an all-star last night either but Gonzo was directly responsible for that goal given up. Gotta do better than that when you are trying to convince the boss you deserve a seat on the plane to Russia (if we make it there).

Our back line as a whole is just a shit-show right now. It hurts not having Brooks and Yedlin, but even when they come back are we for sure trotting out the Brooks-Cameron CB pairing? And who are we going to settle on for our starting LB? I am quasi on board with the 3 man backline that @blazinazn23 is harping on, but we can't play that against top competition in the world cup. We need to focus on identifying a couple of fullbacks for the future starters and also better depth than relying on a couple of re-treads like Beasley and Zusi. I don't blame them for their lackluster play, they shouldn't have been put in that position in the first place. They are important bench guys,. shouldn't be starting.

Bobby Wood is the man.

Dec 21, 2007
A lot of buzz from the soccer media about Bruce deploying a 3 man back line for these set of qualifiers. PLEASE PLEASE

Howard
Omar - Cameron - Ream
Yedlin - Nagbe - Pulisic - Bradley - Arriola
Dempsey - Wood

I think this is the best lineup with the guys on the roster. You could argue Besler over Ream, but I like Ream's passing out of the back a little more, which is needed in a back 3. Arriola has played wingback at Tijuana, and I think it's a perfect spot to put him.

If we need a goal, I like Jozy off the bench against tired legs where he can use his physicality. Benny also a possibility where he can unlock the defense with his creativity and vision

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
A lot of buzz from the soccer media about Bruce deploying a 3 man back line for these set of qualifiers. PLEASE PLEASE

Howard
Omar - Cameron - Ream
Yedlin - Nagbe - Pulisic - Bradley - Arriola
Dempsey - Wood

I think this is the best lineup with the guys on the roster. You could argue Besler over Ream, but I like Ream's passing out of the back a little more, which is needed in a back 3. Arriola has played wingback at Tijuana, and I think it's a perfect spot to put him.

If we need a goal, I like Jozy off the bench against tired legs where he can use his physicality. Benny also a possibility where he can unlock the defense with his creativity and vision
No way he doesn't start Jozy, and I just have a feeling that Besler will start as well. Bruce has a tendency to stick with veterans in situations like this. That is why I also wouldn't be shocked to see Benny starting in the 10 with Pulisic out on the right wing.

Dec 21, 2007
The attacking players were incredible tonight. Pulisic, Jozy, Wood, and Arriola.

I wasn't crazy about the formation, playing a diamond 4 with two wide midfielders. Felt like Bradley was isolated so many times and Panama had some nice chances but I'll give Bruce credit. It was an attacking heavy lineup and it worked.

The difference in quality between Yedlin and Zusi at right back was STARK

Why can't we play with that urgency more often?

Dec 21, 2007
We thank Howard for his service but he's been atrocious. We need to start figuring out the heir apparent whether it's Horvath, Jesse Gonzalez, and someone else