USMNT

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
Anyone catching the USMNT team vs. Venezuela tonight? We have most of our B team in, but they look damn good so far. I'm loving the combination of Shea, Feilhaber and Bunbury. With Dempsey's play of late, I can't wait to get a full-strength squad together this summer.

And speaking of Dempsey, he is on an absolute tear for Fulham. He has had a hat-trick in 2 of his last 3 games. It was the first hat-trick by an American in EPL history. I think he has put to rest the arguments who the best American-born player is. He is making a strong case to be on the Best 11 for the EPL. If you missed it, here are the highlights from his hat-trick earlier this morning:

http://deadspin.com/5878142/heres-c...-by-an-american-in-the-english-premier-league

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
It was on Galavision and ESPN3..

But Ricardo Clark resurrected his international career with the game-winning goal in the 98th minute! Huge momentum builder to start the year under JK.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
It's been a good month for the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
A/V Subscriber
Jan 5, 2012
Anyone catching the USMNT team vs. Venezuela tonight? We have most of our B team in, but they look damn good so far. I'm loving the combination of Shea, Feilhaber and Bunbury. With Dempsey's play of late, I can't wait to get a full-strength squad together this summer.

And speaking of Dempsey, he is on an absolute tear for Fulham. He has had a hat-trick in 2 of his last 3 games. It was the first hat-trick by an American in EPL history. I think he has put to rest the arguments who the best American-born player is. He is making a strong case to be on the Best 11 for the EPL. If you missed it, here are the highlights from his hat-trick earlier this morning:

http://deadspin.com/5878142/heres-clint-dempseys-hat-trick-today-the-first ever-by-an-american-in-the-english-premier-league
Currently or ever? He still has to make up some ground on Landon and Tim Howard for a career (at least wearing the RW&B), although this year has been probably the best single season of any American-born player ever. Don't forget though, Giuseppe Rossi is American-born too.

Oct 16, 2009
Stillwater
The style of play under Klinsy is 100X more attractive than under BB.
1-0, yes. But really Venezuela was playing a 1-10-1 formation with Moreno the only guy out of defense. They bunker-ed in, and we finally got the break through.
Feilhaber/Parkhurst/Cameron all fantastic IMO. Jones easily man of the match, just outclassed everyone else.

The style of play under Klinsy is 100X more attractive than under BB.
1-0, yes. But really Venezuela was playing a 1-10-1 formation with Moreno the only guy out of defense. They bunker-ed in, and we finally got the break through.
Feilhaber/Parkhurst/Cameron all fantastic IMO. Jones easily man of the match, just outclassed everyone else.
1-10-1? They appear to be a couple players long of regulation team there.

stonewallpoke

가라
A/V Subscriber
Nov 19, 2007
Gunsan City, Korea
It's been a good month for the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona.
Same endzone that Quinn Sharp won it for us, according to a friend of mine. Nice.

Couple of thoughts of mine:

• Clark needed this. If he wants to factor into Klinnsman's squad, he has to impress. He was awful in South Africa. This helps. Grant Wahl said as much on Sports Illustrated, and I agree.
  • Winning always helps you feel better. Beating any South American side feels great, even if it was a last gasp effort.
  • If the the B team can make this kind of effort, what can the first choice squad do? Or better yet: if this is what the B squad can do, why not start more of them and make the A squad re-earn their starting spots?
  • Brek Shea is the next big American star.
  • Imagine if Clint Dempsey was available. He's on fire lately. First hat-trick for an American in the Barclay's Premier League ever. I hope he keeps this hot streak going into Brazil.
  • God bless America.

Nov 30, 2011
Forget about Clark. I don't like to write people off for the national team, especially since so much can change during a person's career, but Clark is one of the ones that doesn't need a shot with the first team any time soon.

The other is Chad Marshall. His name coming up every year despite peaking in 2006 and not being good enough then annoys me way more than it should.

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
The US will take on Panama tonight in Panama at 7:30 on ESPN3 and Galavision. Another chance for JK to take another good hard look at his B team. This may be the last time we see this team for awhile. The Italy game in late February will be more of the regulars and then WC qualifying will begin later on this summer.

The players I want to see build off of the Venezuela game are Cameron and Parkhurst in the back, Feilhaber and Larentowicz in the middle and Bunbury up top. Of course, Shea, Jones and Hamid will continue to play well.

Rico Clark is also an interesting development coming back onto the international stage.

Oct 16, 2009
Stillwater
Think we will definitely see either Wondo or Sapong start up top tonight.

In the Klinsmann formation:
Wondo
Shea Feilhaber Zusi
Jones Clark
Pearce, Parkhurst, Cameron, Loyd
Hamid

Switching to a 4-4-2 in the 60th minute by bringing on Sapong for Clark, and putting him up top, pushing Jones into the center of midfield.

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
Geoff Cameron sent off for a tackle in the 52'. 10 men the rest of the match. Very iffy red card. But that is CONCACAF officiating. Gotta get used to it for qualifying. JK needs to get used to those types of call, as well. Being the US in this qualifying region is very hard.

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
Thanks, I have very limited soccer knowledge but I enjoy watching the USA play any sport. I really like our coach too, he is pretty animated.
If you ever got the chance, I highly recommend attending a qualifying match here in the States (maybe even one against Mexico). They are tons of fun and the crowd really gets into it. The competition is usually pretty decent and the later stages can get pretty intense.

I'm with you on the coach. I love him (as seen in my profile). I just wish we would have pulled the trigger 3 years ago before we extended Bradley's contract. I think he'll have us ready to go for a big run in Brazil.

Nov 19, 2009
Dallas
Back to back wins to start 2012 under the Klinsmann campaign. Held on to a Zusi 9th minute goal playing down a man for a good part of 40 minutes. I think only a minority of these B-teamers will make a splash onto the top team. The next game is in late February against Italy in Italy. Expect to see a majority of the top team.

Keep in mind that Olympic qualifying is approaching very quickly. It will be a U-23 team with, I think, only 3 or 4 "older" players allowed to play. I would expect Dempsey to definitely be included in that roster. We should also see Adu and Agudelo and some other young, solid talent.

Oct 16, 2009
Stillwater
Great win.
JK must be ready to grind out these games in central america to qualify. We aren't going to win every game easily, especially a game like Costa Rica/Panama/Honduras.

Don't really think that Bunbury is ready for the big stage. Zusi put himself in great position, and really Wondo was lucky not to score.

I'll be attending the U23 qualifiers in KC with the American Outlaws, so excited!