US military suspends operations for all F 35's

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Citing possible faulty fuel tubes after the F 35 crash in South Carolina the US Military has grounded all F 35's. The pilot ejected to safety but the $100 million plan crashed.

The US Joint Program Office also instructed all international partners to ground their F 35's as well for a fleet wide inspection of the fuel tubes.

The F-35 program is supposed to last several decades at a total estimated cost of $1 TRILLION and is the most expensive weapons program in the world.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Well that was money well spent.

On a related note (putting this here because it really doesn't need it's own thread), the Air Force at least APPEARS to be looking at cheaper options for the ground attack role. Who would've thought a return to prop planes was in the mix.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...ttack-plane-moves-quickly-toward-combat-29462

The Air Force has entered the next phase in its development of a new, combat-ready Light Attack aircraft designed to maneuver close to terrain, support ground combat operations and operate closely with US allies in an irregular warfare scenario.

The service is now entering a proposal phase for its new aircraft, designed to lead to a production contract by next year.

The Light Attack planes are optimized for counterinsurgency and other types of warfare wherein the US Air Force largely has aerial dominance. Given this mission scope, the planes are not intended to mirror the speed, weaponry or stealth attributes of a 5th generation fighter - but rather offer the service an effective attack option against ground enemies such as insurgents who do not present an air threat.

"We must develop the capacity to combat violent extremism at lower cost," Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson said in an Air Force report. "Today's Air Force is smaller than the nation needs and the Light Attack Aircraft offers an option to increase the Air Force capacity beyond what we now have in our inventory or budget.”

The combat concept here, should the Air Force engage in a substantial conflict with a major, technically-advanced adversary, would be to utilize stealth attack and advanced 5th-Gen fighters to establish air superiority - before sending light aircraft into a hostile area to support ground maneuvers and potentially fire precision weapons at ground targets from close range.

Following an initial Air Force Light Attack aircraft experiment last year, which included assessments of a handful of off-the-shelf options, the Air Force streamlined its approach and entered a 2nd phase of the program. The second phase included “live-fly” assessments of the aircraft in a wide range of combat scenarios. The service chose to continue testing two of the previous competitors from its first phase - Textron Aviation’s AT-6 Wolverine and the Sierra Nevada/Embraer A-29 Super Tucano.....(more)

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Interesting...I wonder if NORDAM in Tulsa was involved in the fuel lines. I know that they are a part of the F35 manufacturing process, but I don't know what all they do.

If they are the manufacturer/installer of the fuel lines, that could be the death blow for the company.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Interesting...I wonder if NORDAM in Tulsa was involved in the fuel lines. I know that they are a part of the F35 manufacturing process, but I don't know what all they do.

If they are the manufacturer/installer of the fuel lines, that could be the death blow for the company.
Per Military Times the suspect fuel tubes were supplied by a subcontractor for the engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney.

does NORDAM make and supply fuel lines for Pratt & Whitney?

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Per Military Times the suspect fuel tubes were supplied by a subcontractor for the engine manufacturer Pratt & Whitney.

does NORDAM make and supply fuel lines for Pratt & Whitney?
Not sure. I worked for NORDAM but got laid off in the bankruptcy...which was a direct result of NORDAM subcontracting for Pratt Whitney on a different project.