US Army discharging immigrant recruits

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Some of them are being given an Uncharacterized Discharge..which means they may be facing deportation

Uncharacterized discharge is when you are separated before completing 180 days and does not characterize your service as good or bad

For immigrants who serve an Uncharacterized discharge also blocks their path to naturalized citizenship via military service as well

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The Pentagon said that due to pending litigation they could not explain the discharges or respond to questions if there was a policy change

All immigrants who enter military service must have legal status in the US before enlisting

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Margaret Stock who is an Alaska based immigration attorney and retired Army Lieutenant Colonel and helped the Army set up their immigrant recruitment program said her office has been inundated the last few days by recruits who have been discharged.

She said all had signed the enlistment contract and taken the Army oath, some were reservists who were in unit drills, getting paid and doing training, and some had been put into delayed entry before starting basic training.

Stock said that several discharge service members told her the DOD had told them they had not complete the CIA, FBI, NIA, and counterintelligence interviews with the recruits and they were revoked and discharged due to not having a complete background check.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Seems pretty vague at this point, I'd like to have more information, 40 our of 10,000 is not exactly a large percentage....I would like to know what percentage of all enlistments end in this type of discharge. Also, it should go without saying that comments to the media from the attorneys representing these 40 individuals should be taken with a grain of salt until more facts are known.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
https://twitter.com/JohnKasich/status/1015064352825724929/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1015064352825724929&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com%2Fus%2F2018%2F07%2F06%2Fkasich-slams-trump-administration-over-report-that-us-army-is-discharging-legal-immigrants.html

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Seems pretty vague at this point, I'd like to have more information, 40 our of 10,000 is not exactly a large percentage....I would like to know what percentage of all enlistments end in this type of discharge. Also, it should go without saying that comments to the media from the attorneys representing these 40 individuals should be taken with a grain of salt until more facts are known.
I do know that the program hasn't been actively taking in new recruits as the Trump Admin suspended it. Obama allowed DACA recipients to enlist but it was done by EO. Trump suspended the program in Fall 2017 and canceled the contracts of hundreds of recruits who had signed up but not yet went through basic saying the program had become too difficult to navigate due to detailed background checks

It was started in 2002 under George W Bush and became an official recruiting tool of the US military in 2009.

5,000 new recruits joined under the program in 2016 but had their boot camp delayed until Jan 2017 . 10,000 are currently serving through enlisting via the program.

Since 2002 over 100,000 immigrants have earned citizenship through the program by serving.

State

Russian Bot
A/V Subscriber
Mar 15, 2007
TX
I agree that if a legal immigrant has served honorably they should be eligible for citizenship. I don't agree that an illegal immigrant or DACAs should be allowed to serve though. As everything is politicized and blown out of proportion these days though, there are questions that should remain before worrying over this. What were the numbers of uncharacterized discharges under Obama? That's an awful lot of background checks, and not standard at all. I'd like to see the regs on this program and if all those background checks are required. If so, they could takes literally years. I would also like to see the length of service of those with an uncharacterized discharge, because I believe it's normally for those with very short service or who haven't actually performed duty during their service, in which case it would be appropriate.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
I agree that if a legal immigrant has served honorably they should be eligible for citizenship. I don't agree that an illegal immigrant or DACAs should be allowed to serve though. As everything is politicized and blown out of proportion these days though, there are questions that should remain before worrying over this. What were the numbers of uncharacterized discharges under Obama? That's an awful lot of background checks, and not standard at all. I'd like to see the regs on this program and if all those background checks are required. If so, they could takes literally years. I would also like to see the length of service of those with an uncharacterized discharge, because I believe it's normally for those with very short service or who haven't actually performed duty during their service, in which case it would be appropriate.
Here is what I would consider a fair and balanced report on it

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018...it-discharges-blame-bureacratic-incompetence/

State

Russian Bot
A/V Subscriber
Mar 15, 2007
TX
That does seem a pretty fair take with much more info.

The justification given for discharging the MAVNI recruits whose cases have been publicly revealed in recent days (it’s likely that several more will come to light soon enough) is that they failed a background check. This is not, however, as straightforward as it immediately seems — while failing a background check might indicate that one is a national-security concern, in this case it might well also be a simple reflection of bureaucratic insanity. Funnily, some of the discharged recruits were concurrently approved for asylum status and legal residency, suggesting that other review processes did not view them as threatening.
It's worth noting for those who won't read it that the policy decision to implement the 'extreme vetting' which led to the current kerfuffle was made under the Obama WH. So, let's just take that at face value of being necessary though nowhere is the reasoning explained. Even this report doesn't clarify if the 'extreme vetting' and background checks were just to join the military or were part of security clearances. There's a vast difference in someone passing checks and being deemed safe enough to stay in the US and someone being allowed in the military and potentially given access to Secret information. In these few cases I think they deserve to have their visas extended or residency re-adjudicated if they're facing deportation.