U D S

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 31, 2006
63 mi S. of Stillwater
Any of you guys ever heard of an Ugly Drum Smoker? I built one last year and it worked pretty good. I did my second build this year and cleaned up the build and re-did some other things. It turned out pretty good.

These things cook incredibly well and are pretty easy to build.

Smoker.JPG
Ribs 2.jpg

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
That's a nice looking UDS.

I built one about six years ago. Still cooks like a champ. I like your addition of a stack on top. I just drilled eight holes in the drum's lid.

Out of curiosity, were you able to find/buy an unlined barrel or did you have to go through the rigmarole of stripping the lining? Think that might have been the hardest, most frustrating job I've ever done.

Aug 31, 2006
63 mi S. of Stillwater
That's a nice looking UDS.
Out of curiosity, were you able to find/buy an unlined barrel or did you have to go through the rigmarole of stripping the lining? Think that might have been the hardest, most frustrating job I've ever done.
I stripped the barrel on the first one I built. Pain in the rear. I bought a new, unlined drum for this one. The first time I bought a used food service drum that had the liner. I tried to find someone to sand blast the drum and couldn't find anyone. I couldn't even find anyone for the new drum just to sandblast the outside.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
I stripped the barrel on the first one I built. Pain in the rear. I bought a new, unlined drum for this one. The first time I bought a used food service drum that had the liner. I tried to find someone to sand blast the drum and couldn't find anyone. I couldn't even find anyone for the new drum just to sandblast the outside.
That's what I found. Took about 8 hours of heating with a weed torch, power washing and angle grinding to get it stripped bare.

If I ever do it again, I'll buy a clean, unlined drum.