Tylan injured

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Don’t you think that he has so many receptions compared to other receivers because Sanders is not able to make his progressions? That would lead to more balls being thrown in Tylan’s direction. Sanders need to spread the ball around.
100% agree. But its not all on Sanders. Maybe Sanders looks his way so often, because he's frequently getting open OR because he's so elite that even when he's not open, he still makes contested catches. It seems like Sanders views Wallace as his first (and only?) read on a lot of pass plays to the point that if its covered, he just doesn't know what to do. I foresee some growing pains as he starts forcing the ball to guys that can't make some of those catches, then realizes that we won't move the ball without progressing to at least the second or third option.

Nov 14, 2010
100% agree. But its not all on Sanders. Maybe Sanders looks his way so often, because he's frequently getting open OR because he's so elite that even when he's not open, he still makes contested catches. It seems like Sanders views Wallace as his first (and only?) read on a lot of pass plays to the point that if its covered, he just doesn't know what to do. I foresee some growing pains as he starts forcing the ball to guys that can't make some of those catches, then realizes that we won't move the ball without progressing to at least the second or third option.
Bingo

Well Done

That notion will need to be across the board.

Nov 14, 2010
Without Wallace....
We are either going to have to adjust scheme and let Sanders start reading conflict players and give him an either/or pass option or a backside scramble off that read...

Or....
Rely on Hubbard even more and run more read option with less of a pass game threat

Or....
Not change anything we're doing and, more than likely, become a worse offense than we are right now.

The Silver Lining, if there is one, is that it may Force changes that need to be made with our offense

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
Stoner is legit too

He needs to be used more
If Sanders was able to progress further than 1.5 targets in 4 seconds, we would have a lot more success. He seemingly locks on to read #1 for 2-3 seconds before even considering secondary guys. He's gotta get better at recognizing defenses and making quick decisions when various reads are taken away. In many cases, he will lock on to Wallace even when its obvious that the defense is intent on taking him out of the play. Rather than a quick glance then move to the next guy, he just stares at Wallace and either forces the ball or has to scramble. I REALLY hope our coaches are working on him making quicker decisions, because right now he's just not progressing in this respect.

IMO, you should know within the first 1 second if your primary receiver is a viable target. If not, then the second read should be nearly instantaneous. If #2 is gone, either checkdown or scramble. All of that should take 3 seconds or less.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
If Sanders was able to progress further than 1.5 targets in 4 seconds, we would have a lot more success. He seemingly locks on to read #1 for 2-3 seconds before even considering secondary guys. He's gotta get better at recognizing defenses and making quick decisions when various reads are taken away. In many cases, he will lock on to Wallace even when its obvious that the defense is intent on taking him out of the play. Rather than a quick glance then move to the next guy, he just stares at Wallace and either forces the ball or has to scramble. I REALLY hope our coaches are working on him making quicker decisions, because right now he's just not progressing in this respect.
Completely agree.

It's been maddening how much he's done this so far. I did, however, think there were some improvements in this area vs. ISU. He finally threw somewhere other than just numbers out on the right side. Of course, a few of those throws wound up being into heavy traffic, so there's that.

To add to your point about recognition, though, I hope he gets better there with every game. Take the higher percentage throw, move the sticks & keep the drive alive. Show the recognition to understand what's a high percentage throw vs. what's a very low percentage throw that requires super-human effort on the part of the receiver. I'm sorry, but Riley absolutely coaches circles around us in terms of continually giving his QB's, RB's & WR's high percentage calls.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Update from Friday afternoon from Bill Haisten:

Since Wednesday night, it had been rumored Wallace sustained a non-contact knee injury. The Oklahoman indicated Friday the junior wide receiver had sustained a serious and presumably season-ending injury.

While no university source has provided confirmation of any injury, an OSU figure told the Tulsa World that Wallace has conveyed to friends he did, in fact, sustain a serious knee injury.
From Guerin Emig...

Tylan Wallace has 53 catches for 903 yards and eight touchdowns. Dillon Stoner is next with 25 grabs for 232 yards. Three other OSU receivers have two touchdowns.

That’s a serious gap between Spencer Sanders’ favorite target and the rest of his receiving corps. The freshman quarterbacks tends to seek out No. 2, as he should. What does he do now that No. 2 is out?

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010

IMO, you should know within the first 1 second if your primary receiver is a viable target. If not, then the second read should be nearly instantaneous. If #2 is gone, either checkdown or scramble. All of that should take 3 seconds or less.
Agreed.... And, he's totally capable of it.

It needs to be incorporated through either/or option routes/scramble concepts that he's grown up running and that many, many colleges, like OU, Baylor, Alabama etc... are running.

He's always been great at controlling safeties then hitting slot receivers on the option routes, in the middle of the field, or scrambling back away from the option read.

Now, after a year at OSU he's not doing it anymore. At least not very much or very well.

Understood that's there's a learning curve, but it shouldn't be nearly this steep.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Well if Gundy comes out and says he's day to day, we'll know he's done for the year. Barring that, we'll just have to wait and see. Is it weeks or months. Hopefully it's minor.

Jul 8, 2004
Beaverton, OR
I want more CJ Moore, He''s been a disappearing act since earlier this year after a couple nice TD's. Wonder why
I have read where Kasey Dunn (WR coach) has pretty strict requirements/protocol to follow and if you don't, you sit and watch. CJ may (my hypothesis) be pretty young and hasn't quite matured to the level needed to consistently fill out all of Dunn's asks of his WR's and that is why he hasn't played much. I think you can see that in Braydon Johnson. Since he has matured and become more focused with all that is required of him, he has seen the field consistently this year.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
In some ways not having Wallace would help Sanders because it will force everyone involved, coaches and Sanders, to create more balance and to use all parts of the field more because they won't have Wallace as a security blanket.

As long as OSU makes a bowl, in the long term development of Sanders it actually could work to his bemefit.
Like they haven't been trying to do all year?!
Suddenly everyone is going to say, "Oh, wow! We need to start spreading our offense around now that Tylan is hurt."

Sanders hasn't been able to unlock himself off one target all year and now he's going to realize that he needs to look around? If anything, Sanders will just continue to look at the same spot with a receiver with a different number. He's not known to be one to look around much.

As much as I'd love to see this sudden Epiphany from our QB and coaches, I think the Big 12 coaches we face will just load up even more on Hubbard as well as pinch the DEs to contain Sanders. THAT'S the type of defense we will see from here on out.
UNLESS your miracle cure of sudden realization comes to instant fruition.

And while I've got your attention......I'd like a pony for Christmas, please.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
Looks like Tylan is listed on the Depth Chart for this week.
I don't see Gundy giving ANYONE an indication of Tylan's status until game time simply to keep them guessing about their defensive game plan.

Here's what I think is going to happen though.
Gundy will tell Gleeson to run Hubbard between the tackles and just keep pounding away until we all are so frustrated (and behind) that it's late in the game before anything else is tried.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Like they haven't been trying to do all year?!
Suddenly everyone is going to say, "Oh, wow! We need to start spreading our offense around now that Tylan is hurt." No, a young QB who relies on a Biletnikoff-caliber WR too heavily, might spread it around more & gain confidence in other guys with Wallace out. Fairly simple concept, if one's willing to allow for that possibility.

Sanders hasn't been able to unlock himself off one target all year and now he's going to realize that he needs to look around? If anything, Sanders will just continue to look at the same spot with a receiver with a different number. He's not known to be one to look around much. Drives me crazy at times with his focus on Wallace, no doubt. That being said, gimme that long list you got of all the QB's who never progressed from what they were 7 games into their careers. You're betting against it, I'm betting the kid grows as a QB, you know, with experience & all?? Novel concept, I know.

As much as I'd love to see this sudden Epiphany from our QB and coaches, I think the Big 12 coaches we face will just load up even more on Hubbard as well as pinch the DEs to contain Sanders. THAT'S the type of defense we will see from here on out.
UNLESS your miracle cure of sudden realization comes to instant fruition.

And while I've got your attention......I'd like a pony for Christmas, please.