Tweet of the Day

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
but I thought the Dems wanted open borders??

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1067507024303452161
A physical wall won't change much, we need a legal wall and I think Chuck knows this. I think Schumer also knows the media has his back no matter what he does and will spin it in a positive light for voters....so if he can get concessions from Trump, then it's worth it.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The Bush Admin ended catch and release in 2006 and begin to detain 99% of immigrants at the border but ran out of detention space.

In 2014 the SCOTUS ruled that plenary power doctrine does not authorize the detention of immigrants under the order of deportation for whom no other country will accept and if the US Govt is going to hold any immigrant longer than 6 months the Govt is required to show removal in the foreseeable future or special circumstances

In June 25th 2018 Customs and Border Protection Commissish Keven McAlee announced the agency would start catch and release again at the border because they were overwhelmed by the number of immigrants they had already detained and they were spending more time processing detained immigrants than guarding the border.

I think I pointed out in a different thread that Immigration Judges currently face a back log of 150 years+ of work EACH. If they want to end catch and release they have to get more Federal Immigration Judges to Catch and Prosecute in a much more efficient manner.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Sadly, I know some people who take 6 hours of anything every semester to avoid paying back their student loans.
I did that one semester during my fellowship. My fellowship was 2 years but my student loans would only defer for a year so I took 6 hours of courses to defer them a little longer because the fellowship paid dirt and I had a young family. I was also working part-time as the Poison Control Center and between the two jobs I was logging close to 100 hours per week, so it wasn't like I was living in my parent's basement getting high.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Interesting. I talked to a guy who works at the VA helping vets get skills and find jobs. Said things were significantly better under Trump. Sour Grapes??