Tweet of the Day

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
LOL Harvard didn't hold jack squat for this
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/us/black-commencement-harvard.html
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Looking out over a sea of people in Harvard Yard last week, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive and one of Harvard’s most famous dropouts, told this year’s graduating class that it was living in an unstable time, when the defining struggle was “against the forces of authoritarianism, isolationism and nationalism.”

Two days earlier, another end-of-year ceremony had taken place, just a short walk away on a field outside the law school library. It was Harvard’s first commencement for black graduate students, (emphasis added) and many of the speakers talked about a different, more personal kind of struggle, the struggle to be black at Harvard.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/02/us/black-commencement-harvard.html
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — Looking out over a sea of people in Harvard Yard last week, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s chief executive and one of Harvard’s most famous dropouts, told this year’s graduating class that it was living in an unstable time, when the defining struggle was “against the forces of authoritarianism, isolationism and nationalism.”

Two days earlier, another end-of-year ceremony had taken place, just a short walk away on a field outside the law school library. It was Harvard’s first commencement for black graduate students, (emphasis added) and many of the speakers talked about a different, more personal kind of struggle, the struggle to be black at Harvard.
Harvard didn't put it on. It was done by the students and funded 100% by the students through crowd source funding. They rented the space and held it on their own. It was an individually organized commencement and had nothing to do with the school

Harvard said of the event it was a student organized ceremony that complimented their official commencement event

Media spin calling it "Harvard's first commencement for black grad students" was just an attempt to politicize the event

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Harvard didn't put it on. It was done by the students and funded 100% by the students through crowd source funding. They rented the space and held it on their own. It was an individually organized commencement and had nothing to do with the school

Harvard said of the event it was a student organized ceremony that complimented their official commencement event

Media spin calling it "Harvard's first commencement for black grad students" was just an attempt to politicize the event
Do you think that if Harvard students wanted to have a white only commencement that it would be allowed?

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
You gonna answer his question?
I don't know why he would want to back himself into such a ridiculous corner. My question wasn't at all a trap.

Of course Harvard wouldn't allow in any way, shape or form a white-only graduation. They wouldn't want their name associated with it, and there would likely be consequences for any students who would try to organize and/or participate in such. Which brings us back to the point of the tweet.
1527017011377.png