TW: State Only Graduating 71% of high schoolers

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 16, 2004
Report: High School Diplomas: State graduating 71 percent

Oklahoma high school students are graduating at a rate of 71 percent, according to a new national report released Tuesday.

Diplomas Count, a report from the trade publication Education Week and the Editorial Projects in Education Research Center, calculated graduation rates for all 50 states from 2002 to 2003, the most recent data available. The study was funded in part by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

The data showed that Oklahoma's graduation rate was lower than the state-reported graduation rate of 86 percent for that same year, but it placed Oklahoma slightly above the national average of 69.6 percent, tying it with California as 29th in the nation.

Diplomas Count calculated graduation rates by comparing grade-to-grade promotions from ninth grade to graduation.

The state Department of Education was not entirely satisfied with the findings, but spokeswoman Shelly Hickman said officials are hopeful that graduation rates will continue to climb.

"We're not pleased that according to (the study's) calculations, 29 percent of our students are not getting a diploma, but we're pleased we're ranked 29th in the nation," she said.

"No calculation is completely accurate. All the states, definitely Oklahoma,

are moving toward getting as accurate as we can, but there are factors like mobility. There is just so much a district and the state can do to actively report those rates."

She noted that the state also ranked above the national average in course credits that are required to obtain a diploma.

But the report also pointed out significant gender and racial gaps among graduating students across the country. For example, the study found that in Oklahoma, 74.1 percent of females graduate compared with 69.4 percent of males. When the report's numbers are classified by race and gender, 46.5 percent of black males and 52.2 percent of Hispanic males obtain their diplomas in Oklahoma.

National averages were 44.3 percent and 50.1 percent, respectively.

"Unfortunately, that seems to be a national trend," Hickman said. "This is an at-risk group of students who often drop out of school. But we've been developing quality alternative education programs."

Oklahoma's American Indian students were graduating at a rate of 62.8 percent, significantly higher than the national average of 47.4 percent. The report showed that Oklahoma's American Indian students made up nearly 18 percent of the student population, compared with only 1.2 percent nationally.

"Considering we have more American Indian students and the graduation rate is that big of a percentage difference, it's obviously of note," Hickman said.

Despite the findings of the report, the state is making gains in raising standards for graduation, Hickman said, noting Gov. Brad Henry's recent signing of the Achieving Classroom Excellence bill.

"That is raising graduation standards again in Oklahoma," she said. "Students beginning with class of 2010 will be required to pass four out of seven end-of-instruction exams in order to graduate.

"It also gives us another opportunity to communicate with students and parents of the importance of education and the importance of students taking rigorous courses."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=060621_Ne_A9_State38980

Oct 11, 2005
haha, wow that is sad. high school is a joke, why are there so many worthless people?? I guess someone has to run the Hollywood video's/movie theatres and McDonald's..

Pokefan

Territorial Marshal
Aug 3, 2004
Between Pryor and Adair on Beautiful Lake Hudson
The sad thing is with No Child Left Behind and all the otherunfunded mandates you will see even more children drop out. The remediation is not there.. the parental support is not there. What happens is the kid repeats the grades/courses over and over gets tired of it and leaves. The dropout rate willnot go down but up.... However, it is still significantly better then the good old days of the 50's and 60's when the drop out rate was right at 50%

Jun 8, 2004
okc
Pokefan you hit the nail on the head with the statement of parental support is not there. Yes there are parents out there that actually care about the kids getting a good education. There are parents out there that think of the school as a free daycare. When teachers tell the parents that the child is doing poor in a subject the parents act like well that is your problem and not mine.

kaje

Let's Go Heat!
Nov 19, 2005
Stillwater, OK
www.maczealot.net
Pokefan said:
The sad thing is with No Child Left Behind and all the otherunfunded mandates you will see even more children drop out. The remediation is not there.. the parental support is not there. What happens is the kid repeats the grades/courses over and over gets tired of it and leaves. The dropout rate willnot go down but up.... However, it is still significantly better then the good old days of the 50's and 60's when the drop out rate was right at 50%

Yeah..I imagine all those people dropping out are because they're bored students....NOT.

I'm willing to bet its white trash, "gangstas," and other wastes of semen that just don't care.

Poke4Christ

Federal Marshal
Aug 2, 2005
Edmond, OK
Amen about the parents.

Many parents don't care. They don't push their kids. They don't encourage them, and they don't help them. They expect the schools to do their job for them. I'm seeing and hearing about it here in Denver. I'm working with the kids who might eventually drop out. After that, the only thing they can do to make a decent paycheck is become a dealer.

That's why we've been pouring money into oklahoma city schools and not seen much improvement. I sometimes wonder what our schools would be like if we hired private companies to handle them.

Zach

Jun 8, 2004
okc
Zach, there is alot more problems with the OKCPS system than just money. There is alot of favortism between schools. AN admin. that has their own agendas. The school system has been though at least 4 supertintedents in the last ten years.

The school system has outsoruced the caferteria portion of the schools and it is not working out the way it is supposed to. Some of the examples are that they are running out of food, food gets to the schools late, food is cold when it gets to the kids, caferteria's not always clean.

Jun 29, 2004
Northwest OK
Just wait till the new requirement (must pass 4 of 7 EOI tests) goes into effect. The dropout rate in OK will skyrocket.

High stakes testing increases dropout rates. Just ask Texas.

Jun 29, 2004
Northwest OK
In my opinion, they'll either start watering down the test or put so much pressure on teachers that they'll just teach to the test (what many in TX have done). Very few states move away from testing after they put it in place. In Massachusetts, there were some schools that changed the schedule so that more time was spent on tested subjects than on untested subjects. That also caused some to eliminate things like music, art, and vocational programs. Once states start bowing before high-stakes testing, they'll do some strange stuff in the name of increasing test scores.

Jun 8, 2004
okc
Poke they already do teach to the tests. There is so much pressure on the teachers now to make the state mandated scores from the districts that they do it now.

Pokefan

Territorial Marshal
Aug 3, 2004
The tests are all that matters but the State Dept of ED does not want you teaching to the test. They want teachers teaching toa set of standards and the test is supposed to assess those skills. (This directly from the mouth of the woman in charge of the State Dept division of Testing) However anytime the state places so much value on test scores, teachers will teach tothe test. Some elementary schools are dropping all courses except Reading and Math as that is what is tested.

As to private companies. Several States have allowed private companies totake over school districts and overall these have had poor results. The biggest district was Baltimore MD (not 100% certain on that) And they eventually booted the private company out. The funding remains the same and now your building in profit for an company with the already limited funds.
There were several articles in "Teacher" magazine on the private companies.
Very positive at first then after a year or two.... quite negative.

Jul 8, 2004
Edmond,Ok
www.alignmywealth.com
ansipoke said:
Zach, there is alot more problems with the OKCPS system than just money. There is alot of favortism between schools. AN admin. that has their own agendas. The school system has been though at least 4 supertintedents in the last ten years.

The school system has outsoruced the caferteria portion of the schools and it is not working out the way it is supposed to. Some of the examples are that they are running out of food, food gets to the schools late, food is cold when it gets to the kids, caferteria's not always clean.

You have to be kidding me. The food is far from the problem. My wife is a teacher in OKCPS and these kids eat better than I do, and for free. They get free breakfast and lunch..even in the summers when school is not going.

The admin. takes way too much money. There is frivilous spending, like a computer to use for testing that cost over $1 million, then they decide not to use it after a year.

The problem, as many have stated, is that a lot of parents do not help,care or even know what to do. Another is the fact that the kids do not know there is anything better out there. Many kids are going to this school in the low income area, the same one as their parents went to.

I volunteer some of my time to show them things can be better if you work hard. These kids are smart and the schools can't help enough. I taught her class about the stock market, and kids that did not know what a stock was were trading within weeks and beat the S&P 500 by 3% 3 months later.

They were so excited to do this, but I had to pay for the materials and program out of my and my companies pocket.

More money needs to go to the classroom, period. You would be amazed how many people in the admin office do nothing and get paid a lot.

Pokefan

Territorial Marshal
Aug 3, 2004
More money needs to go to the classroom, period. You would be amazed how many people in the admin office do nothing and get paid a lot.
OSU broker that is a generalization... I teach in a smaller district and those folks in the offices work their keisters off. You may walk in and perceive they are doing nothing. but you are not in their shoes. That secretary you see sitting at her desk may very well have been at the school board meeting until 1 AM the night before. The 2nd hand perception of the casual observer is usually not reality.

There is a proposal being pushed here in OK by out of state groups. It is called the 65% solution and it is a horrible proposal... It proposes 65% of all school funds must be used in the classroom. The current average is like 58-59%. It sounds good but is Pie in the Sky. What they do not define is that the funding transfer will come from Libraries, school nurses, school cafeterias, Transportation, maintenance, janitorial, and finally in Administrtion. Not to mention Sport activities. When all is said and done budgetting is the function of a school board. Beware the 65% proposal it will make already strained ancillory services impossible to do.