Turner Turnpike Changes

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
Late at night is when you're usually gonna see the semi lots fill up & I don't doubt their numbers. When I traveled the state from corner to corner in a semi, the lots are full at truck stops all over the state.
I keep some long & late hours especially on weekends. And I’m up driving early for the work week. I’ve never seen trucks parked on the on or off ramp. It is definitely more full after 10pm. I drive through there regularly and so does my brother. I grew up and live in the area and know & speak to countless locals regularly. I just feel like if trucks were parking regularly all up and down the on and off ramps I’d be aware of it. Maybe I’m just not as observant as I used to be.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
I think the new design of combining the GAS/FOOD under one roof (shared bathrooms etc) is more sustainable. Plus they added the Luther Exit as well.
Perhaps more sustainable. The facilities were old so an update is certainly due.

What’s the significance of the new Luther exit in this? I’m not following you on that one.

Jul 20, 2018
Neither of which stops you from being able to open a checking acct... I've had a checking acct since I was 16 and you don't get much more paycheck to paycheck and poor credit than that... Even that aside, there's no reason we couldn't get rid of the manned booths and switch to a system that just mails you the bill.
You're right but a lot of people in that situation don't trust banks and they have bad credit sometimes because they wrote checks for money they didn't have in the bank. This is their way of controlling bad habits.

If they mail you the bill, you get charged a service fee which can be quite high. My preference would be to pay online by entering your tag number. You can then use a prepaid card purchased from Walmart with cash. This is what they have in the Dallas area.

Jul 20, 2018
Regarding safety of the toll roads, any road that has an on ramp coming from the left is a poor design if the acceleration lane isn't long enough. The higher the speed limit, the longer the on ramp should be.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
You're right but a lot of people in that situation don't trust banks and they have bad credit sometimes because they wrote checks for money they didn't have in the bank. This is their way of controlling bad habits.

If they mail you the bill, you get charged a service fee which can be quite high. My preference would be to pay online by entering your tag number. You can then use a prepaid card purchased from Walmart with cash. This is what they have in the Dallas area.
I was just going to as analog of a transaction as possible based on your initial response. Online billing would clearly be the ideal option unless someone is strictly limited to cash.

Jul 20, 2018
I was just going to as analog of a transaction as possible based on your initial response. Online billing would clearly be the ideal option unless someone is strictly limited to cash.
I understand. It is quite strange that even the poorest of people seem to have a smartphone. Maybe they could add google pay booths :)

BTW, I generally despise toll roads and think it puts poor people at an more disadvantage. We pay gasoline taxes to pay for roads. The gas tax should equal the amount needed to operate and build roads. If we're going to keep toll roads, it should be tax deductible. At one time, I was paying $300/month in the Houston area for tolls. Where I lived, it was virtually impossible to go anywhere without paying a toll unless you wanted to double your travel time.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I understand. It is quite strange that even the poorest of people seem to have a smartphone. Maybe they could add google pay booths :)

BTW, I generally despise toll roads and think it puts poor people at an more disadvantage. We pay gasoline taxes to pay for roads. The gas tax should equal the amount needed to operate and build roads. If we're going to keep toll roads, it should be tax deductible. At one time, I was paying $300/month in the Houston area for tolls. Where I lived, it was virtually impossible to go anywhere without paying a toll unless you wanted to double your travel time.
Holy smokes!

& don't get me started on Oklahoma's toll roads.:cursing:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK

Yeah, I would be incredibly pissed ever time I got in my car if I lived in Houston... lol.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
What’s the significance of the new Luther exit in this? I’m not following you on that one.
Midway to Wellston was 12 miles. Midway to the next McDonalds in OKC is 34 miles. I guess they decided that people could wait an extra 20-22 minutes for McDonalds.

The Luther exit, while it doesn't have a McDonalds, might have played a factor in why they didn't keep/rebuild a McDonalds in Wellston.

Traveling from TULSA - OKC, Wellston used to be last exit after the Midpoint GAS/FOOD. When they finished the the Luther exit, it was no longer the last exit thereby reducing overall traffic. OnCue at Wellston just moved back about 1000ft so there is still GAS at that exit.

To be honest, I didn't contact McDonalds Corporate or read the any of the Wellston Commission reports before I made my post. I was just speculating.