Turkey recipes?

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I'm telling you, follow that recipe to the letter and she will thank you. It isn't really heavily smoked, just amazingly good turkey.
Got a test turkey breast and and some hickory chips yesterday. Probably gonna try it out this weekend since I won't really have time to do it during the week with how early my kid goes to bed. Only thing I plan to do different from the recipe is I don't use briquettes. I only grill with lump, but I think that might actually help me with this as far longevity.

(Side note, if you haven't grilled with lump you definitely need to try it. I made the mistake of trying while I still had a bag or two of briquette left and I've had to literally force myself to try and use up the briquette... Even still I've got a whole bag of kingsford that has just sat for almost a year because I just don't want to use it. lol.)

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Not disagreeing with anyone posts below... just my own opinion on what i have tried and worked in the past.

In my opinion the best thing to do for a turkey is to brine it.
You should check out Pioneers Woman's turkey brine. At least 48 hours. It is awesome. Smells fantastic.

Got a test turkey breast and and some hickory chips yesterday.
You should also consider applewood. I think it goes the best with turkey meat but hickory is pretty good too.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Not disagreeing with anyone posts below... just my own opinion on what i have tried and worked in the past.

You should check out Pioneers Woman's turkey brine. At least 48 hours. It is awesome. Smells fantastic.

You should also consider applewood. I think it goes the best with turkey meat but hickory is pretty good too.
I always use applewood on my steaks and it's delicious... Just not sure if everyone attending would feel about it on turkey. Might try it for myself some time though.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
That’s how I do it as well. I’ll never go back to baked. It sounds gross but once the turkey is done, we deep fry all the leftover Halloween candy. Of course alcohol is involved.
Excellent idea! Gotta let that damned hot turkey cool off anyways and the peanut oil is still nice and hot. Sooo I bought 3 onions, sliced and breaded them... and we had some delicious onion rings last Saturday as an appetizer while we waited for the turkey to cool down enough to carve.

Those onion rings went FAST! Frying and eating.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
I thought the correct method was to leave it frozen and submerge rapidly?
You do get more altitude with that method. Which dispels the rumor that domesticated turkeys are flightless birds...

Another option is to get a smoked turkey at the grocery store, and heat it according to instructions. Milder than your average home-smoked bird, but very edible.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Got a test turkey breast and and some hickory chips yesterday. Probably gonna try it out this weekend since I won't really have time to do it during the week with how early my kid goes to bed. Only thing I plan to do different from the recipe is I don't use briquettes. I only grill with lump, but I think that might actually help me with this as far longevity.

(Side note, if you haven't grilled with lump you definitely need to try it. I made the mistake of trying while I still had a bag or two of briquette left and I've had to literally force myself to try and use up the briquette... Even still I've got a whole bag of kingsford that has just sat for almost a year because I just don't want to use it. lol.)
I usually use lump for smoking and as I recall I think i probably used lump for this most of the time.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I usually use lump for smoking and as I recall I think i probably used lump for this most of the time.
Well lump for grilling was a game changer for me. Doesn't take me any longer to start with my chimney starter plus I can reuse about half of it on the next grill session. It may be in my head, but I honestly feel like it tastes different (better) than charcoal.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I always use applewood on my steaks and it's delicious... Just not sure if everyone attending would feel about it on turkey. Might try it for myself some time though.
I prefer it on my poultry because it is not as overwhelming like Hickory and Mesquite can be sometimes.

But smoked meat is smoked meat whatever the wood... yummmmmm.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Get a Honeysuckle White Turkey. That is a family owned company, not corporate like Butterball. Thaw the turkey in the refrigerator for about one day for every four pounds of weight.

. Remove the giblet bag with the neck, heart and gizzard from the cavity of the bird. Set that aside for other use or throw it away like I do. Clean the bird and dry it. Rub the inside cavity with a lot of salt. Sometimes I pack the cavity with celery and onion. Sometimes I don’t. Use real butter and smear all over the breast and drumsticks. Then bake it using a Reynolds Baking Bag and follow its instructions.

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Throwing this out there....

For anyone who hasn't smoked a cornish hen (after a 48 brine)... nom-nom-nom-nom-nom

I bought two last year as a goof and threw them in with my turkey legs. MIND BLOWN!!!!!!

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
On the smoking front, you're gonna lose about a third of the frozen weight, fwiw.

I was stunned the first time I smoked one & saw how small it was!

When we lived in Norman, I'd take a turkey to Van's Pig Stand & they'd smoke it for a nominal fee. So I'm all excited & go to pick up my bird. Guy brings it out wrapped in foil, etc... & I thought "damn, that's a lot smaller than I expected." So the guy went on to explain to me how much of the weight it'll lose when being smoked. "Okay, lesson for next year, get a bigger bird!" I thought, lesson learned.

So I leave Van's to head home & my phone rings & it's Van's calling me. "I gave you the wrong bird. Are you in the area where you can bring that one back & pick up yours?" he asked. "Sure, be right there!" I said, & thought to myself "I KNEW that couldn't be my bird!"

So I march back in there, ready to get my just bird, & the guy brings out a bird that's smaller than the one I already had!

Should've never answered the phone!:woot:

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
@steross My test turkey looks to be a success! I've never actually ran my Weber kettle that long before so wasn't entirely confident I'd be able to hold the temp as well as I did. Now just letting it rest before I cut into it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Oh damn. Ok everyone, you need to try the Weber recipe... Tender and juicy. Now I just have to do it again on Wed. Lol

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Oh damn. Ok everyone, you need to try the Weber recipe... Tender and juicy. Now I just have to do it again on Wed. Lol

Excellent! I've never made a bad one using that recipe.
The official turkey! I goofed up and forgot to do the dang dry brine last night but it was a fresh turkey which technically has a brine. Had a more difficult time with temperatures for some reason (grill rocketed to 475 at the start, even with vents barely open) but as long as the bird gets to 170 then it doesn't really matter for the most part. Still came out good though.

I feel like I may have inadvertently locked myself into this role for coming Thanksgivings though... Lol