Tulsa Post Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
My random thoughts (in no particular order)

Montgomery should have been ejected from the game for pulling down his mask while screaming at an official that was less than 2 feet away.

LD ran angry...I liked it.

Faking injuries to slow momentum needs to be dealt with.

Defense played great.

Bullock seemed to think slow and move slower.

How can an officiating crew make two different rulings on nearly identical plays within 10 minutes?

Crowd sounded pretty good for 25% capacity.

Used to kinda like Tulsa. The Baylor stench makes me think otherwise. Would be open to kinda liking them again in the near future once the Briles Disciple is gone.

Better to be 1-0 than 0-1.

Discord tried to make my MacBook Pro melt - the heat coming off of it was intense - and I had to log off.

We may set a record for dropping spots in the polls after winning a game - because of Big 10 being ranked again.

Go Pokes

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
So....
How many years in a row are people going to continue to talk about Joe bad the OLine is before they realize how bad the run scheme is.

Predictably and basically 0 miss direction, deception etc.... have, year after year, taken Olines that could be okay, and made them look like today.

0 mis direction, very little read option game other than the typical zone read

Its pitiful

Oct 27, 2003
McKinney, TX
Visit site
So....
How many years in a row are people going to continue to talk about Joe bad the OLine is before they realize how bad the run scheme is.

Predictably and basically 0 miss direction, deception etc.... have, year after year, taken Olines that could be okay, and made them look like today.

0 mis direction, very little read option game other than the typical zone read

Its pitiful
Now it’s officially football season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I had an 8:50 tee time so I watched it on the DVR after it ended. So I couldn’t look at the game thread. Let me take a shot at what the general thoughts are. Someone let me know how I did and if I missed anything.

Defense - no complaints. Lived up to the billing.

O line - didn’t seem great to say the least.

QB - if Bullock ever sees the field again, I’m not watching. Saw it last year when it was named Dru Brown. Shane saved the day just by being average.

New kicker- hell yes. 3 for 3.

Did I miss anything?
The only thing I disagree with is that you think Shane was "average." If you strech out his performance over a whole game it's a wow. The problem with this game was QB play because we tried to win with a guy who isn't a D1 QB and had to wait to go to Shane because he didn't practice for the past 14 days due to covid tracing. If we put him in when Spencer goes down we win by about 21. Honestly he made that big a difference once he came in.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
I'm hoping that the passing game being nothing but throws from the numbers to the sideline is just being vanilla today. Drove me crazy last year how often we take 3/4 of the field out of play & never went beyond the reads to the sideline.

Stoner may go down as one of our most under-utilized talented WR's ever. Dude could make a living in the middle of the field, but our QB's don't seem to even know he's out there.
This!!
And it drives me freakin' crazy not using the Cowboy Back over the middle or off the DE. It's freakin' child's play and so unutilized. Smart coaches see this outlet and use it until someone stops it, then that leads to something else being open.

Dunn had a very mediocre start as OC.

OctaviusRexLTH

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 16, 2019
Alabama
The only thing I disagree with is that you think Shane was "average." If you strech out his performance over a whole game it's a wow. The problem with this game was QB play because we tried to win with a guy who isn't a D1 QB and had to wait to go to Shane because he didn't practice for the past 14 days due to covid tracing. If we put him in when Spencer goes down we win by about 21. Honestly he made that big a difference once he came in.
yeah, good QB play cannot be undervalued. Look at LSU pre Burrow vs post Burrow (they lost to Troy!), OU with Trevor Knight vs the QBs they had after him, OSU with Garman vs Rudolph, Texas with Colt McCoy vs the decade that followed, TCU with Trevone Boykin vs everything after that.. If the defense can just completely load up on the run with no concerns about the QB at all, that changes everything.

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
This is one of Coach Gundy's blind spots. He needs to play the QB that gives us the best chance to win, regardless of whether or not they're a true freshman.

https://tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/...cle_054a497d-a4b6-58c3-89be-5112ae16367f.html
I’m not a big fan of playing freshman quarterbacks because I think they’re prone to injury and that scares me. Maybe I’m a little soft in that area, but I think when you’re young and you get out there and you play in this conference long enough, there’s a good chance you’re going to get hurt.
And getting hurt doesn't happen to sophomores and above per se. Oh. Wait!?
Sanders is a third year sophomore. Doesn't he know the rules?

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
1. No game thread was lame. Mark me down as someone that prefers a thread on this site. Def not gonna sign up for another random app. Y'all have fun without me.
2. Defense was good. Tackling was solid all game long. Very impressed by that. Mcalister was everywhere.
3. Dunn's play calling looked overly vanilla. But I'll chalk it up to lack of practice. Right???
4. Illingworth looks legit. Not gonna rush to judgment yet, but what I saw today from him (aggressive, decisive, and good pocket presence) were dang good, and really impressive considering how little time he's had in practice.
5. Kicker looks solid. That's encouraging.
6. Chuba looked distracted and ill-prepared.
7. We need to pass more.

Big Daddy

Banned
Banned
Feb 15, 2017
Texas
Misdirection, please !!!

how many times did you see us have a man in motion ?

mid you don’t count the CW going from slot to FB, I counted ZERO. !!!

Oct 7, 2015
St. Elmo, CO
You must be old, like me.
Not THAT old.
When you're getting a daily flood of mail marketing cremation and burial plans, you're looking at vultures sitting on a dead tree branch just waiting for you to die. Now, that's old.
Oh, BTW -- I've narrowed it down to cremation or being crushed inside and old Chrysler at an auto recycling center.
Any advice? Anyone? (crickets)

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Here's how I see this game QB situation:
Gundy went with the guy with SOME college experience although it be Juco. He gave Bullock every opportunity to shine with the #1s and we all know the result of that, which was a big fat zero.

He also wanted to protect from throwing a freshman into a big, opening game and risk blowing the kid's mind with the speed of the game. But, then it came down to the ultimate question: Do you want to win this game or not?
And therefore the call was made.

It was like turning on a light switch for the team and fans alike. The energy level rose immediately as passes were going down the field and being caught by the guys that were supposed to be making great catches.
You could also see how Ill's teammates responded to him. They surrounded him, pating him on the back, shouting encouragement -- all GREAT SIGNS of great respect for his leadership.
This is a guy that can and did rally a team.

It immediately reminded me of the Cate/Weeden transition during that Colorado game that brought on a new era in OSU Cowboy football.
In a normal year this makes sense and in this year it does too.

If this was a normal year where Illingworth had a full spring and fall to learn the offense, I think it's an easy choice to see who comes in after Sanders went down. In this instance where his spring season was greatly abbreviated and he hadn't practiced in a couple of weeks, it had to be Bullock at first. I wish we had gone to him earlier, but at the end of the day we did with enough time on the clock and got the win. That's what matters.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
And for “Sander’s Sucks” crowd, he was Big12 Offensive Freshman of the Year, so ya- you’re wrong
I don't get this. He was fine on the first drive until he hurt his ankle. He hurt it fighting for a first down when he should have slid, but he was 2-2 in a run heavy drive. He botched the fumble but him Schneider and Hubbard all messed that up so it's not 100% on him.

Him having an injury that hopefully only has him out a week or two is probably a blessing. Circumstances had Bullock as the no. 2 and if today didn't happen that might not change. At least now if we need to bring a backup in against Texas or the squats it's clear who that is.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
And for “Sander’s Sucks” crowd, he was Big12 Offensive Freshman of the Year, so ya- you’re wrong
I don't think people think "Sander's Sucks," I just think we have two good QB's and one is injured. We need to heal him up because we can't have only one at a time or we are in trouble when the other one gets hurt...because the other one, we saw the most of today, is not a Big 12 QB.