Tulsa Post Game Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I’m a little more optimistic about LD, he showed some spark last year at times but he couldn’t hold onto the ball (also his passpro sucked). If he can keep holding onto the ball I think he’s a decent guy to give Chubba a break. Not debating that Chubba’s not THE GUY tho, anyone saying otherwise is doing it for the off the field stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not hating on LD.....just need to see him do it consistently. It was one game so I'm not going to go crazy. If he can do keep it up, it benefits us. Having a legit #2 back is a necessity and we didn't have that last year. Any fan with decent football knowledge would acknowledge we're not going anywhere without Chuba...but of course they're some that are still in their feelings b/c of what went down over the summer.

Nov 25, 2009
Kedah Malaysia
Remember when Brandon Weeden was the third string QB behind Alex Cate?

I’m fairly certain Gundy fills out the depth chart by pulling names out of a hat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
....according to the obedience to the practice script.
Kids followed everything that we asked of him will always be high on any manager's list.

Leaders on any field has confidence, swagger, own directions, etc. may not get good eye test to a commanding manager.

This is normal.

Nov 6, 2010
LD Brown performance is the equivalent of a blind squirrel finding a nut. When he can show he can replicate that kind of performance consistently, maybe he gets more touches. We ain’t winning a championship without Hubbard touting the rock,
I disagree a little bit here. If you watched him toward the end of last season, you could tell he was turning a corner. His style is a perfect compliment to Hubbard too just because he runs so low to the ground. He actually runs under a lot of tackles. I think he's going to have a really nice senior year.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I disagree a little bit here. If you watched him toward the end of last season, you could tell he was turning a corner. His style is a perfect compliment to Hubbard too just because he runs so low to the ground. He actually runs under a lot of tackles. I think he's going to have a really nice senior year.
I stand by what I said....he had nice moments here and there last year, but never like the way he played Saturday. Dude would make a nice run, followed by another run where he completely missed the hole or dancing around before hitting the hole. Never said bad about his style.....he's the opposite of Hubbard, which is fine although it seems he's added some power to his game. I'm not going to jump on gun...and I'm going to wait to see if he can perform at this level consistently b/c he didn't last season. If he can keep this up, it bodes well for this offense.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I stand by what I said....he had nice moments here and there last year, but never like the way he played Saturday. Dude would make a nice run, followed by another run where he completely missed the hole or dancing around before hitting the hole. Never said bad about his style.....he's the opposite of Hubbard, which is fine although it seems he's added some power to his game. I'm not going to jump on gun...and I'm going to wait to see if he can perform at this level consistently b/c he didn't last season. If he can keep this up, it bodes well for this offense.
I don't necessarily disagree, & maybe it was just me, but it seemed like he had some absolutely terrible luck last season when he got the ball. My recollection is him having virtually no holes to run through & constantly having to fight a guy off in the backfield before he even got to the line.

Either way, I hope that Saturday is a sign of things to come from him because I think we'll need him if they continue to run Hubbard 25+ times a game.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I don't necessarily disagree, & maybe it was just me, but it seemed like he had some absolutely terrible luck last season when he got the ball. My recollection is him having virtually no holes to run through & constantly having to fight a guy off in the backfield before he even got to the line.

Either way, I hope that Saturday is a sign of things to come from him because I think we'll need him if they continue to run Hubbard 25+ times a game.
Yeah.....It's just you!! He had holes to run in...just lacked the vision. It's been LD's biggest knock is his inability to read blocks. Saturday was a different story.....can he keep it up is the question...i sure hope so!!

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah.....It's just you!! He had holes to run in...just lacked the vision. It's been LD's biggest knock is his inability to read blocks. Saturday was a different story.....can he keep it up is the question...i sure hope so!!
It could also be a matter of opportunities. Chuba gets stuffed a lot too, but when you get 25 carries a game as opposed to 5-7, you get a lot more opportunities to break a long one, and get into the flow. It seemed to me they were a lot more determined to give LD more opportunities this year. That will help him more than anything else.

Sep 12, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
Having our defense will help a ton...but we have to get the offense, mostly the Oline going...

I actually think Gundy may need to ask his son if he wants on the team so we have at least one other decent QB on the roster. He's just a student now, but the plan is for him to walk on next year..I think. I'm not sure since everyone is a redshirt this year, how that would effect ability to redshirt next year?
Might as well, it's a free year.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
It could also be a matter of opportunities. Chuba gets stuffed a lot too, but when you get 25 carries a game as opposed to 5-7, you get a lot more opportunities to break a long one, and get into the flow. It seemed to me they were a lot more determined to give LD more opportunities this year. That will help him more than anything else.
Yeah....you're reaching way too hard. I get that as you can get into a flow with more carries, I also understand where's there is a clear hole, you run to it. I don't think you need an abundance of carries to run into a clear opening but that's just me. LD's lack of vision as well as dancing around has been the knock on him. He's actually a better pass protector than Hubbard, which is important. LD looked great Saturday, kudos to him. Can he keep it up is the question, and honestly it's a fair question. Kids been on campus for 4 years, and never showed that level of play until last Saturday. If he can, give him more carries...if not find someone that can shoulder the load with Chuba..simple as that.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Need to fix WR, RB, and CW blocking too.
Lots of TFL or sack was on them, not the OL
1st sack- Chuba Hubbard whiffed on Zaven Collins
2nd- Coverage sack...Sanders should've thrown the ball away...
3rd- OL Hunter Anthony got dog whipped by Goodlow
4th- OL Hunter Woodard missed Zaven Collins on a blitz
5th- Coverage sack....Bullock should've got rid of the ball, but went out of bounds
6th- OL Jake Springfield got beat inside by Cullen Wick

The mass majority of the TFL was on the OL. Can't run zone with constant penetration from the interior as well as tackles inability to set the edge. Jelani Woods didn't have his best game blocking. Chuba's pass protection has always been an issue. OL was the problem the majority of the game and its not close. However they played better late in the game b/c they ditched the zone schemes. Also helps that Zaven Collins left the game in the 3rd quarter and never came back due to cramps.

snuffy

Calf fries are the original sack lunch.
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
1st sack- Chuba Hubbard whiffed on Zaven Collins
2nd- Coverage sack...Sanders should've thrown the ball away...
3rd- OL Hunter Anthony got dog whipped by Goodlow
4th- OL Hunter Woodard missed Zaven Collins on a blitz
5th- Coverage sack....Bullock should've got rid of the ball, but went out of bounds
6th- OL Jake Springfield got beat inside by Cullen Wick

The mass majority of the TFL was on the OL. Can't run zone with constant penetration from the interior as well as tackles inability to set the edge. Jelani Woods didn't have his best game blocking. Chuba's pass protection has always been an issue. OL was the problem the majority of the game and its not close. However they played better late in the game b/c they ditched the zone schemes. Also helps that Zaven Collins left the game in the 3rd quarter and never came back due to cramps.
One thing I noticed was the delayed blitzes, it burns the line several times and showed that they were still figuring it out.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Ok, Pj just said on that stupid radio station here locally that Illingworth was down WITH covid...I just thought he was in contact tracing...does anyone know which it was? Maybe coach is just being his unknowing self?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Ok, Pj just said on that stupid radio station here locally that Illingworth was down WITH covid...I just thought he was in contact tracing...does anyone know which it was? Maybe coach is just being his unknowing self?
Contact tracing was what got Illingworth and cost him about 2 weeks of practice time....I would take PJ with a grain of salt most times.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
One thing I noticed was the delayed blitzes, it burns the line several times and showed that they were still figuring it out.
Definitely...kudos to Tulsa for putting together a quality scheme. They were quite successful with those blitzes. Good thing is we still won....I think the group at the end of the game settled in nicely.