Tucker Carlson: The rise of automation

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I mean yeah there's a reason that suicide and addiction is way up in the midwest and it's not because people are living in their phones.

Unemployment has gone up in these places because a significant number of people have completely dropped out of the workforce... and those people aren't counted towards the unemployment number.

Jul 20, 2018
I mean yeah there's a reason that suicide and addiction is way up in the midwest and it's not because people are living in their phones.

Unemployment has gone up in these places because a significant number of people have completely dropped out of the workforce... and those people aren't counted towards the unemployment number.
Are these people too ignorant to move to another state?

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond

The majority of people leaving or not in the workforce are retired/retiring. Baby boomers will only inflate these numbers going forward.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Are these people too ignorant to move to another state?
When you're poor it's not that easy to just up and move... especially if you have a family. Especially if you feel an obligation to not leave your family behind.

Look at, idk, Idabel, Oklahoma, man. 3 hours away from Dallas and the best job you can find there if you didn't go to law school is to work in the damn chicken killing plant. Don't you think those people would rather move to Paris and work at Campbell's? Or Dallas and find some kind of low skill job there?

Just up and moving isn't that easy.

And that leads to the other conversation that happened earlier in the thread... what happens to all of these small towns that relied on blue collar labor and entrepreneurs before Walmart and automation ruined it? They've mostly died out... but why are we ok with that? It just leads to overcrowding in cities which leads to a whole long list of other problems.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
The majority of people leaving or not in the workforce are retired/retiring. Baby boomers will only inflate these numbers going forward.
Nah man it's way more complicated than that. Trump is the president because the people in that part of the country are out of work and blaming Mexicans for it... when really it's automation.

It's a pretty big problem. I agree that it's not apocalyptic... but it's a problem none the less.

Jul 20, 2018
When you're poor it's not that easy to just up and move... especially if you have a family. Especially if you feel an obligation to not leave your family behind.

Look at, idk, Idabel, Oklahoma, man. 3 hours away from Dallas and the best job you can find there if you didn't go to law school is to work in the damn chicken killing plant. Don't you think those people would rather move to Paris and work at Campbell's? Or Dallas and find some kind of low skill job there?

And that leads to the other conversation that happened earlier in the thread... what happens to all of these small towns that relied on blue collar labor and entrepreneurs before Walmart and automation ruined it? They've mostly died out... but why are we ok with that? It just leads to overcrowding in cities which leads to a whole long list of other problems.
For the most part, people are poor because they made bad life choices. To say they don't have the money to move to Dallas to get a job is laughable. The cost of one tattoo would do it.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Nah man it's way more complicated than that. Trump is the president because the people in that part of the country are out of work and blaming Mexicans for it... when really it's automation.

It's a pretty big problem. I agree that it's not apocalyptic... but it's a problem none the less.
And I think you’re making it too simple. It’s not just automation, and people who leave the manufacturing workforce aren’t only getting addicted to opioids. It’s illegal immigration, it’s automation, it’s outsourcing to China and other countries, etc. Automation and AI have a percentage of the pie, but we’ve been through this before is all I’m saying.

jobob85

Alcoholistic Sage
A/V Subscriber
Mar 11, 2009
Sure we’ve been through it, but automation will continually shrink the jobs available while we keep increasing the population.
At some point, not in my lifetime, people really won’t have to work. That dynamic is incredibly scary to me. Of course it may be a perfect utopia. Booze, sex, golf and fishing all before you turn 65.

Jul 20, 2018
Must be nice living that perfect life in your ivory tower...
Yeah. This ivory tower boy worked 50 hours per week in high school and 84 hours per week in the summer making $2.35 per hour, put himself through college by working 12 hour days on the weekends while in college, moved him and his wife to eastern Oklahoma after college to work a cheap azz job barely paying the bills. We lived in an 18' trailer in a trailer park while I was going to school in Stillwater. I worked my tail off, moved up in the corporate world living and working all over the world and plan to retire in a year or two very comfortably. Don't tell me about ivory tower bullshit.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater

Just wait until 2021 when Arkansas raises its minimum wage to $11 an hour. Low paid Oklahomans along the border can just go across the border, like to Ft Smith, and get a job for a raise in pay. They will look more stupid than ever, if they refuse to do it.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Just wait until 2021 when Arkansas raises its minimum wage to $11 an hour. Low paid Oklahomans along the border can just go across the border, like to Ft Smith, and get a job for a raise in pay. They will look more stupid than ever, if they refuse to do it.
Or the companies will move across the border to avoid paying the higher minimum wage...

Jul 22, 2011
Sometimes it's both. I've been poor, and when I have been poor it was because of bad choices I made. I take personal responsibility for that. If someone had been there to inject more money into my bank account, I may have learned nothing from my mistakes.
Universal Basic Income is classic "ivory tower" thinking, since you brought it up. It's an idea from people who only see poverty on the news and in fiction.

"Let's just hand everyone a check every month. Should we make that out to obesity or meth?"
Congratulations, you've invented Lyndon Johnson.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Name the jobs that won’t be affected and why? Machines are cheaper, better, take no time off, file no grievances etc etc etc.
Military defense against the machines...that one is going to go from zero to millions if not billions of employees...;-)

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Sometimes it's both. I've been poor, and when I have been poor it was because of bad choices I made. I take personal responsibility for that. If someone had been there to inject more money into my bank account, I may have learned nothing from my mistakes.
Universal Basic Income is classic "ivory tower" thinking, since you brought it up. It's an idea from people who only see poverty on the news and in fiction.

"Let's just hand everyone a check every month. Should we make that out to obesity or meth?"
Congratulations, you've invented Lyndon Johnson.
I don't know what you mean as I didn't bring up "Ivory tower" at all.

What I find is that people like wealthy people more. They see wealthy people as better. They want to be wealthy. They don't seem to think that the wealthy are screwing them while many of them are. And, I'm not talking about the "wealthy" car dealer in town who hires 57 people. I'm not even talking about Bill Gates and Bezos who at least create a product and hire workers. I'm talking about the private equity/financial industries that just seem to pillage money from the economy. It has even happened in my field where it used to be docs forming small groups. Those groups mostly got bought out by companies that took a lot of the income from the docs. Those companies have now been bought out by private equity firms that squeeze every last dollar from health care that they can.

Surely you can see the difference between bureacratically regulated money given to people who jump though the govs hoops like LBJ set up VS a UBI? Economically they are totally different concepts.

As was mentioned in the video, when given a UBI, study after study has shown that the poor do not simply buy meth with it. Do some? Sure, just like some wealthy are Bernie Madoffs. That doesn't mean we get rid of investment firms because there are some Bernie Madoffs. But, the middle fears helping the poor more than helping the rich so the claim you just made will continue, despite all the evidence it is wrong. Of course, if I mention evidence instead of gut feeling, that is a bit ivory tower, isn't it?

Good for you being one of the ones to get out of poverty. I did too. Contrary to your claim, my life was not news or fiction.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
There is no excuse for a person of sound mind and body to be under the poverty line in America. That's why people say it is due to bad choices. Is it decidedly harder for some to get out......absolutely. Is it effortless to avoid for others.....absolutely...... grew up a white male from a middle class family....it would have to work at being impoverished more than I would have had to be middle class. But anyone can get out if they want. They may not be Bill Gates or ever make 100K a year but if you will work hard and parlay that work into the advancement it creates and make decent financial decisions you can live well above the poverty line and enjoy a standard of living better than pretty much anywhere on the globe. There is a data set of a 100 million or so that came here throughout our history with nothing and without all the assistance citizens receive as proof.