TU headed to the tournament.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Lab Rat

Hold on while I make a chart
Jan 5, 2012
Danny Manning accomplished something that Bill Self and Tubby Smith couldn't do at Tulsa -- win both regular season and tournament conference championships in the same season. Very impressive, especially considering their slow start this season.

Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Good to see TU in the dance again, very happy for them. I love the sideline shot above that is good stuff.

Manning did a great job in the second half of the season. That first half was absolutely brutal though, I wasn't sure he was going to survive the season as bad as they were playing...

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Danny Manning accomplished something that Bill Self and Tubby Smith couldn't do at Tulsa -- win both regular season and tournament conference championships in the same season. Very impressive, especially considering their slow start this season.
Nolan Richardson did it too!

Pretty impressive array of coaches Tulsa has had in their history.

Lab Rat

Jan 5, 2012
Nolan Richardson did it too!

Pretty impressive array of coaches Tulsa has had in their history.
Indeed. I figured someone would point out that C-USA was pretty terrible this year, so Manning didn't have to face the type of teams that Self (Utah, UNLV, BYU in the WAC) or Tubby (SIU, Bradley, Illinois St. in the MVC) did. That will change next year, when TU joins the AAC. If Manning can win in that conference (UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU), he'll really start attracting interest from major schools.

RedRoss

Joe Rugby
A/V Subscriber
Jun 10, 2008
Oklahoma City, OK
Indeed. I figured someone would point out that C-USA was pretty terrible this year, so Manning didn't have to face the type of teams that Self (Utah, UNLV, BYU in the WAC) or Tubby (SIU, Bradley, Illinois St. in the MVC) did. That will change next year, when TU joins the AAC. If Manning can win in that conference (UConn, Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU), he'll really start attracting interest from major schools.
True that, the bottom half or so of that conference is really bad but the top 5 are pretty good. The 3 teams Tulsa got the 4 way tie with, USM, Middle Tennessee and La Tech are all top 65 RPI and then UTEP who went 12-4 is pretty good at 95 RPI and Tulsa is 81 but after that it’s really terrible you are right. Only 4 of the other 11 teams have winning records and most are only 1 game over .500.

I think the AAC should try to add one of the other good CUSA teams like Southern Miss or UTEP. I think that could give them a little more depth. I also think if the Big 12 could figure out a way to add Cincy and Memphis in everything but football would be pretty cool. That’s just a pipe dream I know because that won’t happen.

I also like that in 2011 and 2012, 0 teams from Oklahoma made the tournament and this year we got 3 in!

Last edited:

Lula Warren

Banned
Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Have seen la tech and tcu teams that the snobs struggle with,I guess it's hard to be impressed,but congrats to the tu snobs anyway.:woot::eek::unsure:

Lab Rat

Jan 5, 2012
I would take Manning. Self has taught him well.
It's fair to give Self some credit for Manning's coaching, but Manning also played under some of the best coaches of all time.
  • Larry Brown (4 years w/ KU and 2 years w/ Clippers)
  • Lenny Wilkens (1 year w/ Hawks)
  • Jerry Sloan (1 year w/ Jazz)
  • Don Nelson (1 year w/ Mavs)
  • George Karl (1 year w/ Bucks)
  • Rick Carlisle (1 year w/ Pistons)
  • Cotton Fitzsimmons (1 year w/ Suns)
Brown, Wilkens, Sloan, and Nelson are all in the Hall of Fame as coaches. After playing 15 years in the NBA under 4 Hall of Fame coaches, Manning probably taught Self a little about basketball too.