Trump's military parade costs come in at $80 million more than first expected

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The Dept of Def has released their costs for the military parade Trump has ordered to be held. The costs are $50 million to the Pentagon and $42 million from other Fed Depts including Homeland Security. The costs include parade assets, aircraft, and temp duty pay for troops that participate

3 DoD employees had told CNN earlier this year the expected costs for the parade would be $12 million..which is now up to a total of $92 million

The Pentagon Spox has told CNBC that the DoD would be making a formal announcement about the costs soon but expects the parade to have 8 tanks, armored vehicles, helicopters, fighter jets, transport aircraft and other plan flyovers. It is expected to start at the Capitol, go past the White House and end at the National Mall.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Instead of a parade that a tiny percentage of Americans will actually get to see first hand, how about we just do a bunch of air shows at bases across the country with static displays for the non-aircraft stuff?? I do love me some air shows... :D

I do think this parade is stupid though. If I want to see our military equipment on TV I'll just pull up youtube videos... Gigantic waste of money IMO.

Jul 28, 2011
Reno NV
If the President really wants to honor our military, give each and every American currently serving a bonus. I realize it wouldn't amount to much, but at least it would be a symbolic gesture to help offset the outrageous tax cuts he handed to the super wealthy.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The Blue Angels annual budget is $40 million. I guess you guys would cut that too. smmfh
How about the $26 per gallon the Navy pays for Bio Fuels to make their jets more Green

How about the 20% discount the Govt Subsidizes on military bases for tobacco products

How about the $150 million per year the DoD spends on getting rid of invasive insects

There is plenty of stupid spending in the Military....no need to tack on $92 million for a Smurfing parade

Mar 9, 2004
Edmond, OK
The Blue Angels annual budget is $40 million. I guess you guys would cut that too. smmfh
On the contrary, the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds and the air shows they are in do more to show off our military might and instill pride in Americans all over the country than a parade in D.C. with a few tanks and a flyover ever could.

Jul 20, 2018
How about the $26 per gallon the Navy pays for Bio Fuels to make their jets more Green

How about the 20% discount the Govt Subsidizes on military bases for tobacco products

How about the $150 million per year the DoD spends on getting rid of invasive insects

There is plenty of stupid spending in the Military....no need to tack on $92 million for a Smurfing parade
So, you're keeping the Blue Angels?

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Waste of our money. Only 3rd world dictators do stuff like this. Teddy said it best "talk softly and carry a big stick".
Perhaps it is a waste of money but he got the idea from France...not a 3rd world dictator. I don't have a big problem with the parade, and it could be a nice gesture if it were less expensive and more unifying. Afraid it's just going to be another divider, and if so, they should leave it alone.

May 22, 2005
Behind Enemy Lines
Calling BS. Troops are paid based on a monthly salary, no overtime, and there are plenty in the local DC area and surrounding areas, so travel costs would be minimal.
Costs for aircraft and land vehicles, fuel, and maintenance, again, are already budgeted. Unless they're shipping folks and equipment from all over the U.S., and the world, these numbers are B.S

Jul 20, 2018
Nope...Prefer the NFL military flyovers.

15-16 of them every week for 16-17 weeks. They are seen by MUCH more people every week than The Blue Angels
If it's wasteful, why not eliminate all of it? That's a lot of money for 10 seconds. I would definitely eliminate anything related to the NFL since they're anti-American anyway.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Calling BS. Troops are paid based on a monthly salary, no overtime, and there are plenty in the local DC area and surrounding areas, so travel costs would be minimal.
Costs for aircraft and land vehicles, fuel, and maintenance, again, are already budgeted. Unless they're shipping folks and equipment from all over the U.S., and the world, these numbers are B.S
Anytime a soldier is taken off their permanent duty status they are entitled to Temporary Duty Pay regardless of how far they have to travel. There is no budgeted "Parade" for the military so this is an additional costs. What is already budgeted is already appropriated to ongoing assignments

A temporary duty assignment (TDA), also known as "temporary duty travel" (TDT), "temporary additional duty" (TAD) in the Navy and Marine Corps (or TDI for "temporary duty under instruction", referring to training assignments), or "temporary duty (TDY) in the Army and Air Force, refers to a United States Armed Forces or civilian United States government employee travel or other assignment at a location other than the employee's permanent duty station

Temporary duty assignments usually come with per diem pay, covering lodging, meals, and incidental expenses.

Typically, an employee may request a cash advance of 60–80% of the total value of the meals and incidental expenses before the TDA per diem takes place, in order to prevent the employee from having to use his or her own money, or putting money on a personal credit card

You also gleamed over the costs of other Fed Depts (almost 50%) that are included in this costs...it is not just military costs.

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
If it's wasteful, why not eliminate all of it? That's a lot of money for 10 seconds. I would definitely eliminate anything related to the NFL since they're anti-American anyway.
$40 million per year for the Blue Angels....they reach like a couple hundred thousand people per year??

$6.8 million per year for NFL Flyovers...that reaches 200k-400K people per WEEK in person and Millions more every week via TV.

You don't Marketing do you bro?

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
This is like if a person making $100,000 a year but in debt for $2.1 million decided it would be a good idea to pay the city $500 to close main street just so he could drive down the street and show off his new Mercedes.

Absolute INSANITY!!!

Jul 20, 2018
$40 million per year for the Blue Angels....they reach like a couple hundred thousand people per year??

$6.8 million per year for NFL Flyovers...that reaches 200k-400K people per WEEK in person and Millions more every week via TV.

You don't Marketing do you bro?
No. I don't do marketing bro. I also don't see that this has anything to do with marketing. It's simply a show of pride of country and our military.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Money well spent. We need to bring back pride of our country. The little limp-wristed twit took it all.
If you want to show your patriotism, organize your own Pride Parade, cheap add in the paper ought to bring out quite a few like minded individuals at no cost to the rest of us.