Trump to get second SCOTUS pick

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I liked Kennedy and while I disagreed with his vote on gay marriage on principal, I agreed it was the right thing to do. I just felt it was a states right issue and should have gradually passed, much like marijuana, slowly and with acceptance of the native populace. He was a great voice on the bench even though I disagreed with him on occasion.
my gawd people.... they should never vote just because "its the right thing to do".... that is exactly what they are NOT supposed to do. It's not their business to decide - it was a State's rights issues, and it should have been left with the States, and to we the people to govern ourselves.

same with that goofball Roberts rewriting the ACA laws because he wanted it to pass because "it was the right thing to do", in his mind. The ACA was flat out unconstitutional as written and should have been rejected by the court and sent back to Congress.

We need judicial term limits. If they're going to render decisions based on their personal politics, then they should be treated like politicians. 12-years should be fine.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
my gawd people.... they should never vote just because "its the right thing to do".... that is exactly what they are NOT supposed to do. It's not their business to decide - it was a State's rights issues, and it should have been left with the States, and to we the people to govern ourselves.

same with that goofball Roberts rewriting the ACA laws because he wanted it to pass because "it was the right thing to do", in his mind. The ACA was flat out unconstitutional as written and should have been rejected by the court and sent back to Congress.

We need judicial term limits. If they're going to render decisions based on their personal politics, then they should be treated like politicians. 12-years should be fine.
You think the court is bad now, pass those term limits and see what happens when a democrat gets to appoint 5 or 6 justices while he's in office.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
You think the court is bad now, pass those term limits and see what happens when a democrat gets to appoint 5 or 6 justices while he's in office.
that would only occur for a 2-term president, and it would not be that way for a lifetime.

but yeah, there are probably some implications that I hadn't considered. We might actually get some better judges (in general) because it would not necessarily be the life-n-death struggle that we now see in approving nominees.

If the term limit was 15 years (staggered every 5 years), then it would be rare for a Prez to nominate more than 3.

Jul 7, 2004
Can you just imagine the reaction by the Democrats and their media partners if this appointment was to replace Ginsberg? I truly believe that they would be resorting to violence.