Trump to get second SCOTUS pick

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I don't get this part... NEVER is a kind of a strong word to use in life.
His point is that a true originalist/constitionalist would tend to be more libertarian and maybe moderate right than hard right. His definition of "hard right" may however differ from yours.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
It'll be interesting to see if Dems try to pull a McConnell and delay the nomination. Seeing a lot of calls for it already. Not saying it'd be a good thing, but you reap what you sow I suppose.
https://twitter.com/ddiamond/status/1012035439803461634
Sorry but won't happen. Thank Harry Reid for this soon to be difficult pill to swallow

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008
This dumbass chuck Schumer warning the left that the end is near for American laws. Lol so appointing someone who supports our current laws is some how putting us at a disadvantage. Good grief, what an idiot.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Unfortunately, that is not what conservative/liberals want. Anybody who in celebrating without caution is celebrating a little pre-maturely. Part of the great thing about this country is balance and free thinking. Without the right person in this seat, the balance could shift from a moderate right, to an extreme right very quickly and you never want to be on any extreme.

The effect might snowball quickly as conservative states push these legal battles through the state supreme courts quickly cause it is going to be a slam dunk in the Supreme Court.

I will admit that I would want a more progressive Judge, but the extreme shift in balance is kind of scary.
actually, what you described is exactly what we don't want.

It should not matter if a judge is extreme left or extreme right, both should be excluded.

The Supreme Beings job is to rule in favor of we the people, and protect us from the federal government.

Many of the damned rulings that they make are State's issues, and should be left with the States. (like abortion, for example).

The people should be able to rule themselves as they see fit, and the courts should not be making broad brush rulings subjecting our individual liberties to federal authorities.

There should be absolutely nothing scary about the Bench making rulings about the constitutionality of laws and proceedings.

It's when the courts starts to rewrite the laws (like Roberts did with the ACA) that we really need to worry about the courts. Badly written legislation should be struck down by the courts and sent back to the legislative body for correction. The courts have zero business rewriting the laws.

If you believe in freedom, then you should have zero to worry about.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
Here is the BIG and BEAUTIFUL list of judges Trump will pick from. Looks full on constitutionalist and originalists. Cant wait to see the spot filled with a truly great judge!
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trumps-supreme-court-list/
Thrilled hrc isn’t the one doing the nominating but I think you’re off base celebrating. Kennedy was / is a great judge we will be fortunate to have another one like him. What I also think this says is that he likes Gorsuch otherwise I don’t think he steps down.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Here is the BIG and BEAUTIFUL list of judges Trump will pick from. Looks full on constitutionalist and originalists. Cant wait to see the spot filled with a truly great judge!
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/president-donald-j-trumps-supreme-court-list/
Thrilled hrc isn’t the one doing the nominating but I think you’re off base celebrating. Kennedy was / is a great judge we will be fortunate to have another one like him. What I also think this says is that he likes Gorsuch otherwise I don’t think he steps down.
I liked Kennedy and while I disagreed with his vote on gay marriage on principal, I agreed it was the right thing to do. I just felt it was a states right issue and should have gradually passed, much like marijuana, slowly and with acceptance of the native populace. He was a great voice on the bench even though I disagreed with him on occasion.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I liked Kennedy and while I disagreed with his vote on gay marriage on principal, I agreed it was the right thing to do. I just felt it was a states right issue and should have gradually passed, much like marijuana, slowly and with acceptance of the native populace. He was a great voice on the bench even though I disagreed with him on occasion.
I always thought Kennedy was the most pragmatic judge on the bench, in principle I’d agree marriage is a matter for the states but at the same time a hodgepodge of rules wouldn’t have been good for anyone and would have had untold ramifications, I also felt Scalia, later Gorsuch was the most originalist, I’d like to see a mixture of the 2. One name I’m interested in is the guy who used to clerk for Kennedy, if his constitutional pragmatism rubbed off, he’d be hard to beat.