Trump goes after CEO that resigned from presidential council over Trump's response Charlottesville

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
This couldn't be just them making excuses could it? It might be that they manufacture their products overseas and they were being pushed to move them to the USA .

Under armor from investors website http://investor.underarmour.com/company/products.cfm
"Many of the specialty fabrics used in our products are technically advanced textile products developed by third parties. The fabric used to manufacture our products is sourced by our manufacturers from suppliers pre-approved by us.

Substantially all of our products are manufactured by unaffiliated manufacturers. In 2006, our products were primarily manufactured in Asia, Central and South America and Mexico. All manufacturers are evaluated for quality systems, social compliance and financial strength by our quality assurance team prior to being selected on an ongoing basis. We strive to qualify multiple manufacturers where appropriate for particular product types and fabrications. We also actively seek out vendors that can perform multiple manufacturing stages, such as procuring fabric and providing finished products, helping us to reduce the cost of goods sold. We enter into a variety of agreements all of our manufacturers, including non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, and we require that all of our manufacturers adhere to a code of conduct regarding quality of manufacturing and working conditions and other social concerns. We do not, however, have any long-term agreements requiring us to utilize any manufacturer, and no manufacturer is required to produce our products in the long term.

We also manufacture a limited number of products in our quick turn, Special Make-Up Shop, located at our distribution facility in Glen Burnie, MD. This 17,000 square-foot shop is stocked with our fabric in multiple colors to help build and ship products on tight deadlines for high-profile athletes, leagues, and teams. While the products manufactured in the quick turn, Special Make-Up Shop represent an immaterial portion of our total net revenues, we believe the facility helps us to provide superior service to select customers."
Trump branded ties were manufactured in China, as are Ivanka's line of shoes. God only knows where Trump Steaks came from.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
So an attack on trump and not another look as to why someone would drop from a council that is suppose to help America?
No. Just pointing out that I doubt he dropped from the panel simply because he engages in practices identical to those the President and his family engage in.

And jeez, you consider that an attack?

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
So an attack on trump and not another look as to why someone would drop from a council that is suppose to help America?
One good attack on someone dropping from a council deserves another.

Especially when the original attack is based on manufacturing out of the country.

Maybe it's more of a "physician, heal thyself" kinda thing than an attack....or maybe a "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?" kind of cautionary advice.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
No. Just pointing out that I doubt he dropped from the panel simply because he engages in practices identical to those the President and his family engage in.

And jeez, you consider that an attack?
Why not look at something objectively? So they dropped because he didn't point out kkk and neo-Nazis on his first take? To me that points to the idea they wanted out because of something else. Since its a manufacturing council and Trump is about bringing jobs back to the USA. Maybe there were ulterior motives?

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
Why not look at something objectively? So they dropped because he didn't point out kkk and neo-Nazis on his first take? To me that points to the idea they wanted out because of something else. Since its a manufacturing council and Trump is about bringing jobs back to the USA. Maybe there were ulterior motives?
It would make more sense that if they haven't suddenly relocated all their manufacturing since joining the council and joined the council with out of country manufacturing, that it isn't why they left the council...unless, of course, you are suggesting that Trump asked them to be on it, they agreed, and then withdrew is all a big conspiracy to scuttle the whole thing.

His post just points out that Trump may have those same ulterior motives because he's done the same things they are doing.

You questioned their integrity and motives for why they withdrew. Trump's integrity and motives for attacking them was questioned. One is perfectly fair and appropriate to you. The other is an unwarranted "attack".

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
It would make more sense that if they haven't suddenly relocated all their manufacturing since joining the council and joined the council with out of country manufacturing, that it isn't why they left the council...unless, of course, you are suggesting that Trump asked them to be on it, they agreed, and then withdrew is all a big conspiracy to scuttle the whole thing.

His post just points out that Trump may have those same ulterior motives because he's done the same things they are doing.

You questioned their integrity and motives for why they withdrew. Trump's integrity and motives for attacking them was questioned. One is perfectly fair and appropriate to you. The other is an unwarranted "attack".
I simply asked a question, with supplied evidence from UA's own website that there might have been ulterior motives.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I simply asked a question, with supplied evidence from UA's own website that there might have been ulterior motives.
If I simply ask whether Trump is racist...is that viewed as an attack or me just "simply asking a question"?

Besides, NYC pointed out that it is unlikely to be an ulterior motive as the President who asked him to be on the council has done the same thing. I pointed out the question and what is suggested by the question isn't likely in my response as well.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I would suggest reference to Occam's razor in this matter:

(Ulterior motive theory)

The manufacturers that have recently withdrawn:
-Have manufacturing outside the country when asked to be on the council by Trump (who also has manufacturing and business interests outside the country)
-Join the council while having manufacturing outside the country
-Wait for some false justification to withdraw from the council
-To try to scuttle the council somehow.

vs.

(They meant what they said theory)

Something changed that made them no longer comfortable being associated with Trump. So uncomfortable that they decided to undergo the risk and potential damage to their business from a Trump twitter storm they had to know would be forthcoming.

Nov 23, 2010
Concluding that being associated with Trump is bad for business doesn't require an ulterior motive regarding his hypocritical trade beliefs. There will be pressure on those that remain to drop out I'm sure.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
Concluding that being associated with Trump is bad for business doesn't require an ulterior motive regarding his hypocritical trade beliefs. There will be pressure on those that remain to drop out I'm sure.
Hadn't UA been getting pushback from some of the athletes they endorse even before Charlottesville?

Nov 26, 2008
Hadn't UA been getting pushback from some of the athletes they endorse even before Charlottesville?
The UA athlete pushback started awhile back when Kevin Plank suggested Trump as President could be good for American business.

That was just his opinion on Under Armour's business outlook, nothing to do with social issues, his own politics, etc.

NYC Poke

The Veil of Ignorance
Sep 24, 2007
The UA athlete pushback started awhile back when Kevin Plank suggested Trump as President could be good for American business.

That was just his opinion on Under Armour's business outlook, nothing to do with social issues, his own politics, etc.
IIRC, he planned to host a fundraiser for Trump, but backed out after some of the athletes objected. I could have some of the details wrong, it's been a while, and I didn't pay too much attention at the time.

Nov 26, 2008
IIRC, he planned to host a fundraiser for Trump, but backed out after some of the athletes objected. I could have some of the details wrong, it's been a while, and I didn't pay too much attention at the time.
I dont pay too much attention to Under Armour either but I thought in addition to the comments about Trump being 'pro-business' and an 'asset' it was just hosting him in Baltimore for meetings about manufacturing. I dont think fundraising was involved. It was more of a the President is involved so I should listen situation.

Nov 26, 2008
If these CEOS, now 4 of them, all truly believe what their finely crafted press releases say they believe they should have done this jointly. That would have been far more impactful.

The skeptic in me believes at least some of the later 3's decisions were impacted by: 'Finally, a reason to not be involved.' That to me is playing a part in things.

Especially since some of the businesses are facing backlash for being involved. Even though councils like these are more about serving the country/having your business get a seat at the table to influence the industry than serving a President you fully endorse.

I don't like how now it puts even more unfair pressure on the companies that have stayed on the council. Now you automatically support Trump and his Charlottesville stance even though you might not support you just feel its your duty to help the industry, keep your business at the forefront, or whatever your reasoning may be.

MindAflame

Lurking. Screwed.
A/V Subscriber
Mar 22, 2012
I would suggest reference to Occam's razor in this matter:

(Ulterior motive theory)

The manufacturers that have recently withdrawn:
-Have manufacturing outside the country when asked to be on the council by Trump (who also has manufacturing and business interests outside the country)
-Join the council while having manufacturing outside the country
-Wait for some false justification to withdraw from the council
-To try to scuttle the council somehow.

vs.

(They meant what they said theory)

Something changed that made them no longer comfortable being associated with Trump. So uncomfortable that they decided to undergo the risk and potential damage to their business from a Trump twitter storm they had to know would be forthcoming.
I'll go with ( they meant what they said ) and/or ( were awaiting an opportune moment to leave in a manner that might restore some of the credibility they lost for joining his council in the first place ).

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I'll go with ( they meant what they said ) and/or ( were awaiting an opportune moment to leave in a manner that might restore some of the credibility they lost for joining his council in the first place ).
And in doing so reject the notion of Occam's razor.

Congratulations.