Trump could be the most honest president in modern history

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
A President who actually intends to follow through on campaign promises, finally.

None of the "If you like your health care plan, you can keep it" or as Trump promised to punish Syria if it used chemical weapons on its people, and, unlike his immediate predecessor, he followed through -- not once but twice.

Donald Trump may be remembered as the most honest president in modern American history.

Don’t get me wrong, Trump lies all the time. He said that he “enacted the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history” (actually they are the eighth largest) and that “our economy is the strongest it’s ever been in the history of our country” (which may one day be true, but not yet). In part, it’s a New York thing — everything is the biggest and the best.

But when it comes to the real barometer of presidential truthfulness — keeping his promises — Trump is a paragon of honesty. For better or worse, since taking office Trump has done exactly what he promised he would.

Trump kept his promise to move the U.S. Embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, something his three immediate predecessors also promised yet failed to do. He promised to “crush and destroy ISIS,” and two years later he is on the verge of eliminating the Islamic State’s physical caliphate. He promised to impose a travel ban on countries that he saw as posing a terrorist threat, and after several false starts the final version of his ban was upheld by the Supreme Court. He promised to punish Syria if it used chemical weapons on its people, and, unlike his immediate predecessor, he followed through — not once but twice.

Trump pledged to nominate Supreme Court justices “in the mold of Justice [Antonin] Scalia,” and now Neil M. Gorsuch and Brett M. Kavanaugh sit on the high court. Trump also pledged to fill the federal appellate courts with young, conservative judges, and so far the Senate has confirmed 29 — more than any recent president at this point in his administration.

Trump vowed to pass historic tax reforms and signed the first major overhaul of the tax code in three decades. He vowed an unprecedented regulatory rollback, with a strict policy to eliminate two existing regulations for every new regulation. In his first year, he achieved $8.1 billion in lifetime regulatory savings and is on track to achieve an additional $9.8 billion this year.

During the campaign, he told African American voters, “What do you have to lose? . . . I will straighten it out. I’ll bring jobs back. We’ll bring spirit back.” On his watch, African American unemployment reachedthe lowest level ever recorded, and his tax reform included a little-noticed provision creating “Opportunity Zones” to try to revitalize struggling towns and inner-city communities.

Trump promised to cancel President Barack Obama’s Clean Power Plan, withdraw from the Paris climate accord, approve the Keystone XL and Dakota Access pipelines, and open the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to oil exploration. He fulfilled all of those pledges.

On trade, he kept his promise to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership and impose tariffs on steel and aluminum. He also committed to renegotiating NAFTA and the U.S.-Korea Free Trade Agreement — and recently signed new deals with Mexico, Canada and South Korea. He committed to imposing tariffs on China to force it to open its markets and stop its theft of intellectual property — and is following through on that pledge. Whatever one thinks of Trump’s trade policies, he is doing exactly what he said.

The president pledged historic increases in defense spending, and delivered. He pledged to bring back manufacturing jobs, and manufacturing jobs are growing at the fastest pace in more than two decades. He pledged to sign “Right to Try” legislation to give dying Americans access to experimental treatments, and did. He pledged to take on the opioid epidemic and will soon sign a sweeping bipartisan opioids package into law.

Where Trump has failed to keep promises, such as building the wall or repealing Obamacare, it has not been for a lack of trying. Only in a few rare instances has he backtracked on a campaign pledge — such as when he admitted that he was wrong to promise a complete withdrawal of U.S. forces from Afghanistan and reversed course. I’m glad he did.

But whether one agrees or disagrees is not the point. When Trump says he will do something, you can take it to the bank. Yes, he takes liberties with the truth. But unlike his predecessor, he did not pass his signature legislative achievement on the basis of a lie (“If you like your health care plan, you can keep it ”) — which is clearly worse than falsely bragging that your tax cut is the biggest ever.

The fact is, in his first two years, Trump has compiled a remarkable record of presidential promise - keeping. He’d probably say it’s the best in history — which may or may not end up being true. It’s too soon to tell.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.94ee1eb9addb

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
It's his d***-swinging brinksmanship that drives me insane. I am very happy that the jive Turks released Pastor Brunson. I agree 100% with what Trump did to them in that situation. Something NO past president would have ever done.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I think most people including his most ardent supporters cringe at some of his methods. But the longer you watch the methods and his remarkable record of achievement in just two years, it starts to make sense why it had to be him and why he has to be the way he is to smash the deep state and the Kool aide drinking lefties in the press. It's entertaining and highly enjoyable to watch him toss crumbs every day to the press and watch them converge like piranha (more like lemmings) and lap up whatever he pokes them with in the exact manner he planned it. At this point the deep state are still trying to destroy him but are getting really nervous and scared that it may end up the other way around. At any rate I hope he can get as much done as possible before we replace him with another do-nothing Republican or Democrat figurehead. I hope he gets 8 years and trains a protégé.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I hope we’ve learned one thing, that’s the idea that some how only a politician can get anything done in Washington is just wrong. Think of how much more we could get done with politicians that cared more about doing something for the people than they did for sound bites and protecting their seats as if somehow it’s theirs rather than the people who elected them!

Feb 13, 2010
Back in God's country!
I think most people including his most ardent supporters cringe at some of his methods. But the longer you watch the methods and his remarkable record of achievement in just two years, it starts to make sense why it had to be him and why he has to be the way he is to smash the deep state and the Kool aide drinking lefties in the press. It's entertaining and highly enjoyable to watch him toss crumbs every day to the press and watch them converge like piranha (more like lemmings) and lap up whatever he pokes them with in the exact manner he planned it. At this point the deep state are still trying to destroy him but are getting really nervous and scared that it may end up the other way around. At any rate I hope he can get as much done as possible before we replace him with another do-nothing Republican or Democrat figurehead. I hope he gets 8 years and trains a protégé.
Spot on! I don't really want to hang out with the guy, but previous "play nicely" methods haven't worked. His methods did, and still are. If things continue the way they are I will not only vote for him in 2020, I'll campaign for him.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I'll agree that he has done a good job of keeping his campaign promises, but I think calling him honest is a bit of a stretch.
You claimed something that wasn't said at all.

Did you read the article?

Donald Trump may be remembered as the most honest president in modern American history.

Don’t get me wrong, Trump lies all the time.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
You claimed something that wasn't said at all.

Did you read the article?

Don’t get me wrong, Trump lies all the time.
Trump's "lies" are mostly exaggeration and bravado, with no real malicious intent. I haven't seen him flat out lie about policy or other issues.... not like the flat out lies that Bill, Barack and Hillary told. Lie flat out to our faces to save their hides when everybody knows the real truth.

John C

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2011
It’s a pretty low bar that has been set to be the most honest President.
That said, I’m enjoying watching this sh*t show so much that I plan to vote for him in 2020 just so I can keep watching the left continue to need psychiatric help.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
It’s a pretty low bar that has been set to be the most honest President.
That said, I’m enjoying watching this sh*t show so much that I plan to vote for him in 2020 just so I can keep watching the left continue to need psychiatric help.
LOL It’s like when Trump yells rabbit democrats start hopping LOL

Who called him honest? The title didn’t even say that.
I don't know what the title says in your version of the article, but in mine, it says, "Trump may be the most honest president in modern history." Then the first line of the article says almost exactly the same thing. Here. I'll copy and paste the first part of what I see from the article you posted:

Don’t get me wrong, Trump lies all the time. He said that he “enacted the biggest tax cuts and reforms in American history” (actually they are the eighth largest) and that “our economy is the strongest it’s ever been in the history of our country” (which may one day be true, but not yet). In part, it’s a New York thing — everything is the biggest and the best.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
Trump is one of the greatest poker players of all time. He tells you what he's going to do, takes the deal and then kicks your butt. People just aren't used to that.

Last edited:

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
I don't know what the title says in your version of the article, but in mine, it says, "Trump may be the most honest president in modern history." Then the first line of the article says almost exactly the same thing. Here. I'll copy and paste the first part of what I see from the article you posted:

Don’t know what your dictionary says, but mine says this.

Most: greatest in amount or degree.

Team A won 7 of 10 games while team B won 6 of 10 games. Which team won the most games?

Your problem is you’re reading what you want it to say, not what it actually says.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Who called him honest? The title didn’t even say that.

"Most" is the key word here that you seem to be missing the emphasis of...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007
"Most" is the key word here that you seem to be missing the emphasis of...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
He’s missing it on purpose, at least I’ve got to assume he’s intelligent enough to know the difference. So, the question is why?

Oh, I get it now. He's an habitual liar, but he plays for your team, so his habitual lying is not as bad as the habitual lies of the other team. It's like two filthy pigs trying to figure out who is covered in less crap.

It would be nice if we could try to elect people who are actually honest instead of trying to decide who is less dishonest.

Jul 20, 2018
Oh, I get it now. He's an habitual liar, but he plays for your team, so his habitual lying is not as bad as the habitual lies of the other team. It's like two filthy pigs trying to figure out who is covered in less crap.

It would be nice if we could try to elect people who are actually honest instead of trying to decide who is less dishonest.
He's definitely more honest than Barry Soetoro. If Barry were a Republican, he'd be in federal prison by now.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007

Then explain why you wasn’t honest about what it said?