Trump commutes Stone sentence

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
https://media.giphy.com/media/bmOSuksdVOP3q/giphy.gif
The meme is a pretty apt description of how the right doesn't care about the ethics of the action or how their man is furthering the slide toward authoritarianism, as long he is "owning libs".

It's pretty obtuse and short sighted.

bleedinorange

Banned
Banned
Jan 11, 2010
In Pokey's head
The meme is a pretty apt description of how the right doesn't care about the ethics of the action or how their man is furthering the slide toward authoritarianism, as long he is "owning libs".

Unless it's your black jesus doing it I guess? Pretty obtuse and short sighted to assume such a proud position while ur worshiped one did considerably more. Also, didn't hear a word from you when Trump pardoned a black lady drug dealer. You're phony as a rubber dck.

thebradfordfile™
@thebradfordfile

Total clemency petitions granted: Trump: 11 Obama: 1,715
8:18 PM · Jul 10, 2020

Last edited:

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

Depends how you look at it. I could say that any defense of the Russia collusion investigation is just another indication of how the left doesn't care about the ethics of the action or how it furthered the slide toward authoritarianism. Commuting the sentence of someone obstructing an investigation that never should have happened is not near as much a slide toward authoritarianism as the investigation itself was.

Besides, commuting sentences is pretty routine by now, if you think it's a sign of authoritarianism then the time to be outraged by it and act happened long before Trump became president.
Pretty much every president has done it. Heck Obama set a record, including at least one person who lied to the FBI during an investigation (just like Stone), and who could forget Chelsea Manning.
To be fair, the Republicans complained about it quite a bit with Obama so there's hypocrisy on both sides

1chart_121916_commutations.jpg

olderschool

Banned
Banned
Apr 14, 2009
Of Obama’s the acts of clemency, 1715 were commutations (including 504 life sentences) and 212 were pardons. Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges, and had received lengthy and sometimes mandatory sentences at the height of the war on drugs.

Sep 6, 2012
Edmond
Of Obama’s the acts of clemency, 1715 were commutations (including 504 life sentences) and 212 were pardons. Most individuals granted executive clemency by Obama had been convicted on drug charges, and had received lengthy and sometimes mandatory sentences at the height of the war on drugs.
And your point is? Because some are drug convictions, thats ok? How many o those drug convictions were plead down to the lesser charge of drug convictions?

They arrested stone for lying 5 times. I'm sure the drug dealers never lied. Thats all they have and they are stretching to get that. Just like Flynn.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
They arrested stone for lying 5 times. I'm sure the drug dealers never lied. Thats all they have and they are stretching to get that. Just like Flynn.
Forget about the drug convictions. Focus on James Cartwright, very similar situation to Stone, lied to the FBI during an investigation, pardoned by Obama. Some people will act like Trump doing this is unprecedented...nope.

okstate987

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 17, 2009
Somewhere
Depends how you look at it. I could say that any defense of the Russia collusion investigation is just another indication of how the left doesn't care about the ethics of the action or how it furthered the slide toward authoritarianism. Commuting the sentence of someone obstructing an investigation that never should have happened is not near as much a slide toward authoritarianism as the investigation itself was.

Besides, commuting sentences is pretty routine by now, if you think it's a sign of authoritarianism then the time to be outraged by it and act happened long before Trump became president.
Pretty much every president has done it. Heck Obama set a record, including at least one person who lied to the FBI during an investigation (just like Stone), and who could forget Chelsea Manning.
To be fair, the Republicans complained about it quite a bit with Obama so there's hypocrisy on both sides

View attachment 83326
I want to be clear--I am more more than ok with the majority of commutations and pardons done by presidents. There should be less people imprisoned in general. The difference is that the Roger Stone pardon is a political one: a sign that if you lie to protect me (Trump), I will pardon you. I know you probably don't agree with me on the Russia situation, but even in its best case scenario, Roger Stone played a similar role as Scooter Libby did in the Bush years.

I don't think that any president should be able to pardon people who break the law for their benefit or are from their own campaign, cabinet or team. That is a clear conflict of interest.