Trump announces Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum imports

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

bleedinorange

Federal Marshal
Jan 11, 2010
On the highway to heck
https://twitter.com/SpeakerRyan/status/971856777498316801
Well, Ryan and company have had plenty of time to put bring "targeted enforcement" to bear. As usual, nothing has been done. Inaction by congress invites actions like Trump took. If one doesn't give something a chance to happen, most likely it won't happen. Congress is useless.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Well, Ryan and company have had plenty of time to put bring "targeted enforcement" to bear. As usual, nothing has been done. Inaction by congress invites actions like Trump took. If one doesn't give something a chance to happen, most likely it won't happen. Congress is useless.
Unless you think the tariffs are harmful, which I do. In which case, Congress is heroic.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Unless you think the tariffs are harmful, which I do. In which case, Congress is heroic.
I think tariffs should be applied equally, if a country is putting a tariff on a product we send them we should put an equal tariff on any equivalent product they send us.

A Zero tariff trade going both ways works out better for the people in both countries, unfortunately the world doesn't work that way. The U.S. lets so much in for little or nothing and everything we export is tariffed at a much higher rate even by our supposed friends. Then people wonder about our crazy high trade deficit.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
One of my very best friends, since I only have 3 that’s not saying much, was Sr VP global ops at Delphi, I assure you the 200k lost jobs had nothing to do with steel tariffs, in fact in the years immediately following the imposition of the tariffs, auto production in the US increased.
Beyond the fact that there are multiple grades of steel and laying aside for a moment that the euros punish foreign goods at a much higher rate, the reality is the esteemed author is neglecting that there is a difference between causation and correlation.
I can provide figures that will show that overall auto production in the US has been on the decline since the late 60’s with multiple peaks and valleys all of which were lower than the previous.
BTW there’s no evidence to conclude that these reasonably minor penalties (compared with those of bho that were in many cases 8x’s the amount) will ignite a trade war and if it did, so what. We win, nafta is a terrible deal, the pacific trade deal is a terrible deal, we have negotiated all these deals from behind, if there is one thing I fully expect from Trump it is for him to negotiate using our strength and not bow to global politics.
I do find it interesting that many of those who support fed subsidies and their industry survives primarily as a result of fed subsidies are ant tariff, there is no practical difference.
It’s always a matter of whose ox is getting gored.

Last edited:

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Wow, who da thunk it

Washington and Beijing have agreed to abandon any trade war and back off from imposing tariffs on each other, Chinese state media reported Sunday.
The announcement came after high-level talks in the US capital and followed months of tensions over what President Donald Trump has blasted as an unfair commercial relationship between the two economic giants.

https://m.gulfnews.com/business/economy/us-china-agree-to-abandon-trade-war-beijing-1.2224248

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Wow, who da thunk it

Washington and Beijing have agreed to abandon any trade war and back off from imposing tariffs on each other, Chinese state media reported Sunday.
The announcement came after high-level talks in the US capital and followed months of tensions over what President Donald Trump has blasted as an unfair commercial relationship between the two economic giants.

https://m.gulfnews.com/business/economy/us-china-agree-to-abandon-trade-war-beijing-1.2224248
The whole mess is about the NAFTA loophole. We already have tariffs on Chinese steel. They just ship it through Mexico and Canada to avoid paying them.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Wow, who da thunk it

Am I the only one that thinks China isn't the economic giant that they claim? I think whatever their government reports their gdp, cut that in half.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Am I the only one that thinks China isn't the economic giant that they claim? I think whatever their government reports their gdp, cut that in half.
I saw some reporting on this subject over the weekend. The reports said it had to be overstated by at least 25% just based on satellite surveillance of the countries port activity

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I saw some reporting on this subject over the weekend. The reports said it had to be overstated by at least 25% just based on satellite surveillance of the countries port activity
Cool. I bet they have other data as well that china is covering up.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
It depends on what you mean, with the US as a trading partner they are an economic giant in terms of what we import, witness our trade imbalance with them and that’s been my contention since this tread opened, Trump was using the threat of penalties, that would harm China far more than us, to bring them to the table. iow he was doing what a good businessman does, negotiating from a position of strength as opposed to what the 4 previous administrations did which was ignore our strength and negotiate from behind.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
It depends on what you mean, with the US as a trading partner they are an economic giant in terms of what we import, witness our trade imbalance with them and that’s been my contention since this tread opened, Trump was using the threat of penalties, that would harm China far more than us, to bring them to the table. iow he was doing what a good businessman does, negotiating from a position of strength as opposed to what the 4 previous administrations did which was ignore our strength and negotiate from behind.
And it seemed to have gotten progressively worse. All the way up to Obama downright apologizing for the US.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
He basically came out blustering, then got called for his shit, and then took everything back. Now it is "on hold". What exactly has he accomplished? Other than helping out a huge Chinese company that was screwing us get their employees back to work?

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
He basically came out blustering, then got called for his shit, and then took everything back. Now it is "on hold". What exactly has he accomplished? Other than helping out a huge Chinese company that was screwing us get their employees back to work?
I don't know, maybe something to do with the fact China has agreed to reduce the trade deficit by 200 billion.

Keep watching CNN and you will miss out on these little tidbits of information.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
And it seemed to have gotten progressively worse. All the way up to Obama downright apologizing for the US.
One thing I neglected to mention, in my haste to show my utter disdain for politicians, is that it is possible that the prior administrations weren't negotiating from behind but rather they were negotiating from a position that was expedient both for themselves and their political (read economic) support systems (The Saudi's, Koch, Soros etc...) being a poor negotiator or having a poor team is quite different from willfully putting the US in a secondary position, being poor at something is excusable, working against US interests to further those of your political ally (money) is not.

ksupoke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
Here's a more professionally worded reply than my first one from multiple international news outlets:

A joint statement issued by the countries after a meeting of their trade officials did not mention a specific figure for how much more China will buy to reduce its $375 billion in trade surplus over the US. Larry Kudlow, the US president’s chief economic adviser, had suggested earlier it would be “at least $200 billion”.

The Chinese will ramp up their purchases in US agriculture and energy sectors, the statement said, adding that a US team will visit China to work out the details. For now, the two sides “agreed to continue to engage at high levels on these issues and to seek to resolve their economic and trade concerns in a proactive manner”, the statement read.

It averted the danger of a trade war fuelled by rising rhetoric and tariff hike threats.

my add:
The US was set to enforce almost $70B of penalties beginning this week, those have been put on hold, China was set to substantially modify (read increase) it's penalty on US goods structure next month, that also has been put on hold.
Nothing is set in stone there are more discussions to take place and there is certainly a possibility, not likely, that it falls apart but again, at this point this is a net positive for everyone involved except perhaps those on the extreme left or those who simply can't get past their hatred of Trump.
Black American unemployment at a historic low
Mexican American unemployment at a historic low
US gaining manufacturing jobs
US companies have brought back in over a hundred billion dollars to the US from overseas and invested it here while paying a one time 15.5% rate, generating thousand of tech (non mfg) jobs and the financial sector is booming and gvt receipts are at an all time high even while you are keeping more of your paycheck

Yet democrats are defending hamas, ms13 and iran moreso than the US or its potus, I find that disgusting at best.

All the complaining aside and whether I agree with the tactic(s) or not and in some cases I haven't, he has been successful on the domestic and international economic fronts. It remains to be seen how his non economic policies play out I guess the blue wave, you keep waxing poetically about, in November will tell us how the legal residents of the US (Ca not withstanding) see his administration.