Trump announces Tariffs on Steel and Aluminum imports

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Trump said they will implement a 25% tariff on all steel imports and a 10% tariff on Aluminum. He said he expects to sign this next week..

Last edited:

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Auto Makers are furious. The last time the US imposed a tariff on imported steel the auto industry laid off 200,000 workers.

Roy Blunt R-MO said this will hurt his state because they make alot of boats out of aluminum in the state and said the state can not make enough aluminum in the state to keep up with their manufacturing needs and said the state imports most of its aluminium

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Yea free market republicans!!!!!!!!
That's not right. It's the Libertarians, who believe in the free market. It most certainly isn't the Republicans and is quite easy to prove why. For instance, in Oklahoma, Republican legislators are pushing a medical marijuana bill, which requires the state to set the market price on medical marijuana. When the Republican sponsor of the bill was asked why that is in the bill, he replied that's how New York state does it. Since when did Republicans want to copy after the doings of the liberal state of New York? Oklahoma will be a further doomed state, if the incumbent Republicans don't get voted the hell out of office.

"Make Oklahoma OK again" might as well be a campaign slogan. It would sure make more sense than continuing to preach smaller government and cutting taxes.

1968oktag.jpg

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I'm kind of torn on this. On one hand I'm for free market but on the other hand I know that there's just no way that a domestic foundry can operate at the same cost of a Chinese foundry. The company I work for heavily uses Chinese and Indian materials because it just costs too much to use US materials. I'm not sure if tariffs are the right answer, but I'm not entirely opposed to SOMETHING in place that makes the playing field more level with other countries that don't have near the rules and regulations that our foundries have to follow.

Rixaroo

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
OKC
www.weekendwatchguide.com
Auto Makers are furious. The last time the US imposed a tariff on imported steel the auto industry laid off 200,000 workers.

Roy Blunt R-MO said this will hurt his state because they make alot of boats out of aluminum in the state and said the state can not make enough aluminum in the state to keep up with their manufacturing needs and said the state imports most of its aluminium
I can't imagine boat prices/values increasing more. I bought a 3-year old tritoon in December. The blue book value was the same as what the seller bought it for new from a dealer. Wild.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
It isn't just that this tariff is a bad idea (it is), but that there is no end game where we come out ahead. It will just spark back and forth tariffs and we will all lose. Until eventually someone steps in and says enough is enough.

Now a moderate targeted tariff on the offending countries may be somewhat useful. Although really there are no winners this game.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
That's not right. It's the Libertarians, who believe in the free market. It most certainly isn't the Republicans and is quite easy to prove why. For instance, in Oklahoma, Republican legislators are pushing a medical marijuana bill, which requires the state to set the market price on medical marijuana. When the Republican sponsor of the bill was asked why that is in the bill, he replied that's how New York state does it. Since when did Republicans want to copy after the doings of the liberal state of New York? Oklahoma will be a further doomed state, if the incumbent Republicans don't get voted the hell out of office.

"Make Oklahoma OK again" might as well be a campaign slogan. It would sure make more sense than continuing to preach smaller government and cutting taxes.

View attachment 59235
Is there any thread topic... ANY... A>N>Y>... J.U.S.T.O.N.E... that does NOT trigger your weed diatribes?

:confused::facepalm:

I'm debating starting a thread on Turtle Mating Systems: Behavior, Sperm Storage, and Genetic Paternity just to test this theory.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Inorite?!??

Abstract
As evidenced by the articles in this volume, a recent increase in interest in the mating systems of poikilothermic vertebrates has focused primarily on fishes, a few amphibians, and squamate reptiles. Turtles by contrast have received relatively little attention, yet they display a wide variety of mating behaviors and life-history characteristics that make them excellent candidates for addressing several aspects of genetic parentage that should contribute to a broader understanding of animal reproductive strategies. Here we focus on genetic studies of the mating systems and reproductive patterns of turtles, specifically with respect to multiple paternity and long-term sperm storage. These phenomena highlight the importance of a temporally extended perspective on patterns of individual reproductive success.

;)

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

View attachment 59235
Is there any thread topic... ANY... A>N>Y>... J.U.S.T.O.N.E... that does NOT trigger your weed diatribes?

:confused::facepalm:

I'm debating starting a thread on Turtle Mating Systems: Behavior, Sperm Storage, and Genetic Paternity just to test this theory.
I'm sure he'd find some articles on a study of how weed makes them mate more and how Republicans are trying to silence the study because they hate turtles. .

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
I don't like these tariffs but I can say with a level of certainty that they won't do anywhere near the damage the fear mongers (anti Trumpers) are trying to convince everyone of. All the way back to the 70's every potus has put some level of penalty (and that is all a tariff is) on China for steel, including the beloved bho, they did nothing to ebb the flow of Chinese steel entering the market, dealt with it almost every day for 20+years and the idea that steel tariffs cost the auto sector jobs, especially to the degree claimed, is laughable, the auto sector lost jobs but tariffs played little if any role in those losses (piss poor management was a far greater cause than any market related condition), gee a pol pandering to voters, imagine that.
Even as a card carrying libertarian I can see the benefit to tariffs in some cases, anything that would essentially damage US industry to the point that it could no longer support the defense of the country is one (steel, rubber, etc...) and another is (this is already the case) agriculture, if the US were unable to grow its own food supply as a result of the loss of consumer product producing farms then we could largely be held hostage by the row, btw, those tariffs have an impactful and positive impact on the US economy and yet in many cases those tariff dwarf the ones being proposed here.
Back to results for a minute, there is a relationship between debt and trade deficits, it's not a direct line but the relationship is there nonetheless, two things happened in the 2001-2003 timeframe, China was admitted to the WTO and our debt soared, that is not a coincidence, it was also around this time that there was a large exodus of US mfg jobs moved offshore, now are you seeing the relationship. In addition China applies large tariffs to imports (US and others) as does nearly all of the row, generally speaking our overall tariff on Chinese goods is roughly 4%, if this goes into effect, after the all the caterwauling dies down, that number would still only rise by 1-11/2 %, so our tariff on Chinese goods would be 5-51/2 % still well below what most of our goods are penalized by in the row.
By way of example - China has been dumping steel for almost 50 years, they were going to dump tires as well but the industry got ahead of it to a large extent, tariffs for Chinese tires approaches 40% yet you can still get a fully warranted Chinese made tire for about $40 for most cars and while GY and BFG suffered somewhat they did not crater and the market is better for it both cost wise and quality wise, similarly with steel these tariffs have been on and off for 50yrs and frankly you probably didn't notice unless a hardware store made a public announcement they were raising prices on fencing or other steel products due to costs, and those costs were driven up not by tariffs but by lack of supply to the US, remember China is (or at least was) the number 1 global user of steel.

This is just not going to cost that much (if anything) to the consumer, it's not going to substantially move the needle on steel imports (most of ours don't come from China, so there's that) IIRC China is our 7th or 8th largest supplier of steel not first or 2nd, I expect the Canadians are 1 but I don't know and if they are I further suspect this has no impact due to our current Canadian trade agreement, that's an assumption btw. That is why I question them, not the results (those will be negligible) but the reason, if there is nothing material going to change, why do it, we all know the reason and again like him or not he said he was going to improve the prospects for middle America (read industrial mfg) jobs and he is doing it. What I have been most impressed with Trump is not always what he's done, but that in the area of jobs, he has done his level best to keep his campaign promises, that and the fact that hrc still isn't the potus.