Trump announces tariff on all Mexican imports

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
4% growth for revenue neutral, sustained, the target of the tax cut was 5%, it resulted in 1 quarter of 4% growth and the rest have been below 4, better than be for the tax cut, and to its credit it has resulted in great unemployment and soaring stock market. but It will significantly increase the deficit in the years to come
Or spending

Sep 22, 2011
Yes we absolutely have to cut spending, I am a huge advocate of a balanced budget, unfortunately NOBODY is willing to implement the cuts and taxes it would take to get there. This country has a lot of issues to solve and it can’t happen without first getting the country to live within its means.

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
Yes we absolutely have to cut spending, I am a huge advocate of a balanced budget, unfortunately NOBODY is willing to implement the cuts and taxes it would take to get there. This country has a lot of issues to solve and it can’t happen without first getting the country to live within its means.
I think when trump wins re election it will give him the ability to try for spending cuts since he won't be running anything after. Trump has already shown the ability to do things people might not like but not really give two fs.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
That is NOT a "link", that is simply coincidental statistics, that you have failed to actually link together.

A Raise Won’t End Poverty

Washington — HOW much do you think the average New York household with one minimum wage worker earns per year? $10,000? $15,000? $20,000?

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

It’s $53,370 a year, according to the latest census bureau figures. True, with that kind of money, a minimum wage worker won’t be buying the Knicks anytime soon. But it does put him comfortably in the middle class, with a big chunk of change between him and the poverty line.

Here’s another surprising statistic: less than 15 percent of minimum wage employees in New York are single parents supporting children. Most are teenagers looking to earn some extra cash or adults who are second or third earners in their families.

Unfortunately, these facts haven’t kept two powerful New York state legislators from trotting out the old myth that a minimum wage increase is a much-needed helping hand for the state’s poor.
https://www.epionline.org/oped/o102/

The minimum wage is an antiquated anti-poverty tool that hurts the people it’s supposed to help. Instead of raising it, legislators should expand the size and scope of the state’s earned income tax credit, which provides tax-free income to poor people who work (on top of income from the federal earned income tax program).

Who Earns the Minimum Wage? Suburban Teenagers, Not Single Parents

In his State of the Union address, President Obama called for raising minimum wage to $9.00 an hour. He argued that “no one who works full-time should have to live in poverty.”Most minimum-wage workers, however, are not poor. Congress should examine which workers—that would not lose their jobs—would benefit from a higher minimum wage.

Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Census Bureau show that most minimum-wage earners are young, part-time workers and that relatively few of them live below the poverty line. Their average family income is over $53,000 a year. A hike in the minimum wage primarily raises pay for suburban teenagers, not the working poor. If Congress and the President seriously want to help the working poor, they should look elsewhere.

https://www.heritage.org/jobs-and-l...um-wage-suburban-teenagers-not-single-parents
Wow, what a fail in attempting to make your point. Teenagers only make up a small part of the total work force. Therefore only 21.1% of the work force making minimum wage are teenagers. Throw in the 20-24 age group and that rises the total by 8.7%. Don't you think everybody else working for minimum wage, especially if it's only $7.25, deserves a raise in pay? Not everybody lives in a family where one or more makes considerably more than minimum wage.

Raising minimum wage when not increased by a large amount at a time will help very low income people and businesses, while beating the government resorting to stepping up welfare. Cutting minimum wage or eliminating it all together would likely do that.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
Wow, what a fail in attempting to make your point. Teenagers only make up a small part of the total work force. Therefore only 21.1% of the work force making minimum wage are teenagers. Throw in the 20-24 age group and that rises the total by 8.7%. Don't you think everybody else working for minimum wage, especially if it's only $7.25, deserves a raise in pay? Not everybody lives in a family where one or more makes considerably more than minimum wage.

Raising minimum wage when not increased by a large amount at a time will help very low income people and businesses, while beating the government resorting to stepping up welfare. Cutting minimum wage or eliminating it all together would likely do that.
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2016/home.htm
The latest figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics show that there are approximately 2.2 million workers making federal minimum wage or less. 1.5 million of those workers make tips that typically put them over minimum wage. There are only 701K workers that make federal minimum wage. Out of that 701K, approximately have half of them are 25 years old or younger.

There are a total of 128 million full time workers in the U.S. So the percentage of the working population that make federal minimum wage is right around one half of one percent. A lot of those people are younger workers working temporary jobs in high school or college.

So minimum wage really only affects about 1 out of every 400 workers in the U.S. over the age of 25. It really isn't as big a deal as what some people think.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
4% growth for revenue neutral, sustained, the target of the tax cut was 5%, it resulted in 1 quarter of 4% growth and the rest have been below 4, better than be for the tax cut, and to its credit it has resulted in great unemployment and soaring stock market. but It will significantly increase the deficit in the years to come
The market has been essentially sideways for about 19 months.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

you choose to remain ignorant... no matter who attempts to help you.

you can't even perform basic math.... that was absolutely freaking pathetic.

teenagers make up a small portion of the total workforce, BUT (Einstein), as was presented, they make up a SIGNIFICANT (disproportional) portion of the minimum wage work force.

you can't just start throwing out random calculations as if teenagers make 6 figure salaries and therefore should be representative of your anecdotal numbers.

I do NOT think that everybody deserves a raise in pay, some may even deserve to be fired. As for government mandated wages - there should not be any such thing. Zero should be the "minimum wage". (but I possibly could be convinced that there might be situations where paying to work could be advantageous and acceptable)

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
can you define "significant increase in deficit".

I just told you the tax receipts were only changed by 91B last year. (recently reported by the CBO)

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I think when trump wins re election it will give him the ability to try for spending cuts since he won't be running anything after. Trump has already shown the ability to do things people might not like but not really give two fs.

Trump has no interest in "cutting spending"... he is advocating a 1 Trillion dollar stupid infrastructure bail-out.

He use to talk about smaller government, but his concept of that is mostly head-count, and a bit of legislative... not necessarily dollars.

Trump's "value" in re-election would be to continue to upset the Establishment and refocus the "new world order" back into the hands of We the People - rather than the "Ruling Class".

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
There is a solution, and it is slowly and consistently gaining steam.... Convention of States.

The primary authorization (amendment) by most States that have passed legislation is a balanced budget amendment.

Counting to Two Thirds: How Close Are We to a Convention for Proposing Amendments to the Constitution?
https://fedsoc.org/commentary/publi...-for-proposing-amendments-to-the-constitution

Progress Map: States that have passed the Convention of States Article V application
https://conventionofstates.com/stat...he-convention-of-states-article-v-application

ramases2112

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Jun 28, 2008
Inside the Basket of Deplorables
www.reddit.com
BREAKING NEWS....

Mitch McCorportists tweets apology to President Trump for interfering with his trade negotiations...

how in the world can we get rid of that clown? I'm so sick of the GOP ruling elite interfering with serious negotiations.
As long as mitch continues to force through constitutionalist judges and trump admin candidates, then I can forgive some of the RINO stuff he does.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
https://www.bls.gov/opub/reports/minimum-wage/2016/home.htm
The latest figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics show that there are approximately 2.2 million workers making federal minimum wage or less. 1.5 million of those workers make tips that typically put them over minimum wage. There are only 701K workers that make federal minimum wage. Out of that 701K, approximately have half of them are 25 years old or younger.

There are a total of 128 million full time workers in the U.S. So the percentage of the working population that make federal minimum wage is right around one half of one percent. A lot of those people are younger workers working temporary jobs in high school or college.

So minimum wage really only affects about 1 out of every 400 workers in the U.S. over the age of 25. It really isn't as big a deal as what some people think.
No wonder the minimum wage in Arkansas is higher than $7.25 and not by a very slight more amount. It is so more people can benefit from it. Once again, the voters in Arkansas knew what they were doing.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
As long as mitch continues to force through constitutionalist judges and trump admin candidates, then I can forgive some of the RINO stuff he does.
Drain the swamp.... Mitch is the worst of the lot... him and his Chinese bribes need to go... now

any RINO can get judges through... and at a far faster rate. There is no redeeming value of having Mitch McCorportist around.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

Whether Trump wants to cut spending or not, and I'm not sure either way, he'll still have to convince whichever party controls the house, to vote for it. The Dems will never be for cuts and would never work with Trump even if they were open to the idea.

The Republicans haven't shown any desire to cut spending in a long long time and they don't have the backbone to risk the all out media attack that would result even if they were open to the idea.

Sep 22, 2011
This is a big win, if the admin can bring the China deal across the finish line, then you can call the election now. I have a lot of issues with this president, and the tariffs are a huge part of that, but if he pulls the rabbit out of the hat I would be happy to admit I was wrong.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Min. wage go up to $15
Can't afford Big Mac meal. Lost job to robot kiosk.
Late to the game, but I figured I would share a recent experience I had in West Siloam Springs (which, for those who don't know is an Arkansas border town).

I was on my way to pick something up in Arkansas and stopped at the McDonald's in WSS to grab some lunch. The drive through line was about a mile and a half long, so I went inside. This store did not have a human cashier at all. None. You HAD to order at a kiosk. The only way to speak to a human during this process was if you were to click the "I'm paying cash" button...only then was a human paged to a register at the front to take your money and make change if needed. As soon as they were done, that employee returned to the back.

So, what will happen to minimum wage jobs in Arkansas and OK border towns? I think that if the employer has the means to implement automation and self-serve, they will do so. Thereby eliminating many minimum wage jobs.