Trump Admin to revoke affirmative action guidelines for college admissions

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Per the WSJ

In 2011 and 2016 the Obama Admin put forward legal recommendations and guidelines for universities to consider on how colleges could legally use affirmative action in college acceptance rates as a way to increase diversity.

The SCOTUS ruled both times on the Obama admin recommendations that colleges could legally use affirmative action to help minority applicants get into college

The DOJ under Trump has been investigating a complaint by more than 60 Asian American organizations that have complained Harvard policies are discriminatory because they limit the acceptance of Asian Americans due to the Obama era guidelines

The Trump admin is going to revoke the Obama era guidelines and recommendations saying the guidelines mislead schools to believe that legal forms of affirmative action are simpler to achieve than the law allows

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...r&utm_medium=Social&__twitter_impression=true

Last edited:

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
I have a friend, second generation Korean, who was given only a cursory interview by Harvard last year when applying to business schools, and he had a perfect score on his GMAT. He said it is common knowledge that statistically it is almost impossible for an Asian to get into the program (measured by the percentage of applicants).

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
I have a friend, second generation Korean, who was given only a cursory interview by Harvard last year when applying to business schools, and he had a perfect score on his GMAT. He said it is common knowledge that statistically it is almost impossible for an Asian to get into the program (measured by the percentage of applicants).
The Ivy leagues have been actively discriminating against Asians. There is a big lawsuit that was just filed I believe.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

--- Martin Luther King, Jr

May 22, 2005
Behind Enemy Lines
Affirmative Action has always been code for discrimination against white males. Been that way for 48 years. It was wrong then and it has been wrong ever since.

Ironically it didn’t really help minorities because all of them, regardless of talent and ability, are suspected of being passed up the ladder on their minority status and not their potential or ability.

In other words; not 100% people. It’s like a woman who sleeps with the bosses to get ahead. Sure, it can be done, but then no one respects her once she gets to the position she sought. Not really.

May 22, 2005
Behind Enemy Lines
There was a great article in the WSJ by a Hispanic man who went to Bronx Science (the special NYC high school where De Blasio says there are too many Asians, so he wants to base admission on race) about how merit actually produces more “diversity.” The author said that he was from the Bronx, was one of a tiny handful of Hispanics at the school, and had studied for the Bronx Science admission test with a used text book that his mother bought for $10, had aced his standardized exams (because he studied) and loved the late nights at the school working on robotics with people from absolutely every background - who had gotten in on merit. Also, he pointed out that many of the Asians were as poor if not poorer than he was, and they weren’t only Chinese, but were from Thailand, India, parts of the former Soviet Union, etc. So working hard, strangely enough, actually meant that people of any color or background would learn and get ahead...

It all came down to having the basic ability and working hard. And he said this is all being put into jeopardy now, and the diploma that people worked so hard to get will be worthless and any “minority” will be looked on as an incompetent who got where he was only because of his ethnic background.

Jul 15, 2010
Dallas and Istanbul
Liberty vs equality. Has always been problematic. Wrote a paper on it years ago and in conclusion, realized the struggle between the two would always exist. You absolutely can't have both.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
America is great because we are a nation who offers great opportunity to everyone. Whenever we favor one group (by collage admissions, food stamps, etc) over another that we violate that important principle. This causes the other groups that were excluded to be angry and resentful towards the favored group. That leads to what we commonly call racism.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Affirmative Action has always been code for discrimination against white males.
That's not even really the worst part of it. It also hurts the very minorities it claims to help by creating low expectations....teaching kids that they can't succeed on their own. I believe that aspect has hurt more people than the program itself has helped.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
That's not even really the worst part of it. It also hurts the very minorities it claims to help by creating low expectations....teaching kids that they can't succeed on their own. I believe that aspect has hurt more people than the program itself has helped.
I have a black physician friend whose daughter went to OU. He was angered when OU singled her out because she was black. They felt a black girl needed extra academic help. Thats racism!