True Detective season 2

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
I think all the actors this season will do a terrific job... except I'm curious about Vince Vaughn. He has essentially played the same character in everything I've ever seen him in. Even in his non-comedies he has some mannerisms and tone that he can't seem to shake. I'm gong to be really interested, and it will be a testament to the director if he can pull this off.

Jun 20, 2012
Can't wait, but I find it hard to believe it'll live up to season 1. True Detective season 1 did several things that were impressive: rode Woodabeen as he peaked, talent wise (True Detective, Dallas Buyer's Club, Mud all coming out in a short timeframe), Woody being awesome as usual, and it also had that amazingly creepy new shine to it. Dirty-bayou-satan-worshipping-craziness. How can they possibly live up to that when we're all expecting similar shine and quality of acting? Hope they do, somehow, but Taylor Klitch and Rachael McAdams ain't peaking anytime...ever, imo. I'm hoping those two step up their games, cause neither are very good actors. I mean, is Marky Mark casting this thing? Still, I'm pumped to get it started.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I thought the premiere was ok. I kept expecting Vince Vaughn to say something funny, not sure I'll be able to take him seriously.

Thoughts?

Nov 26, 2008
It wasn't as good as Season 1, but then again it's a different type of show. The first episode has to introduce the new cast, the new background and the ground work for the new crime. There is still promise for the rest of the season.

The fight Colin Farrell had...that was unintentionally one of the funniest things ever!

Jun 20, 2012
Meh. Very meh. But they're setting the table at this point. With 4 main characters, there's so many moving pieces to the story it was almost a turnoff in episode 1. It certainly didn't hit hard like Episode 1 season 1. That final scene with that music by the Black Angels, I think, was incredible. Season 2, ep 1 was very unremarkable in comparison.

At least they ended it tying the three cops together, so we'll start to see their teamwork in scenes a lot from here on, but their backstories are too complex to fit like Woody's family backstory did. It's just odd seeing who's going to support the up-close screen time like Woodabeen and Woody were able to do. Farrell is their Ace in the Hole, but he's been awfully meh from my POV for most of his career. I'm going to keep a positive attitude as much as possible as far as expectations go...here's to hoping the writing and direction are counting on people like me dismissing these 2nd rate actors to drop the ball. Hopefully they serve me a big dose of pleasant surprise by the end.

Btw, I think HBO was brilliant dropping Gone Girl on the same weekend...talk about a Saving Grace if this thing buckles.

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
Oh, I sorta liked it... I'm fine with taking this first episode to do some table setting.

Hard to remember that this is a TV show, and the cinematography is excellent. It also sets that dark tone of the first season.

And firmly establishes that our three 'good guys' are horribly flawed in their own ways, and not particularly likable. I bet that slowly turns around as the season progresses.

I think what made season 1 work so well, is that despite their flaws, we actually liked Woody and Matt. And they were clearly fighting an evil that was preying upon the innocent. This season is starting off a lot more muddy.

OP 9000

Administrator
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 13, 2003
Stillwater, OK
www.orangepower.com
Some more notes.

Rachel McAdams trying not to be smoking hot... is still smoking hot.

And at least Sean Bean got a whole season in GOT before they killed him. Two episodes may be a record for knocking off a character you've built your marketing around.

This season may not live up to Season 1 standards... but I'm still interested, and it's better than what's on most of the networks.

Nov 26, 2008
I don't think he is dead unless they got really into deceiving us. If you rewatch the previews and trailers there are a lot of scenes he's in that haven't happened yet.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
I don't think he is dead unless they got really into deceiving us. If you rewatch the previews and trailers there are a lot of scenes he's in that haven't happened yet.
How does he manage to survive the shotgun blasts if so? IMDB has Colin Farrell in 8 episodes.

The premise of this series seems to be that it is a series of pulp novels and builds the characters of 2-3 gravely damaged cops looking into the grimmest of crimes. Ani's backstory is sheer genius with the charlatan guru for a dad and four siblings who are dead or in jail.

Sep 9, 2012
I don't think Colin is dead yet. There have been a few times where it looked like he could be wearing a vest.