Triggered

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I have to say, I'm tempted. There's some good groups I'm in though that I'll miss reading. None political (actually, they all have rules against posting politics), just groups of people with common interests sharing helpful info. Too bad Facebook got rid of the Facebook Groups app that let you ONLY access your groups and not make you deal with everything else Facebook comes with...
I never knew there was a groups only app! Even then, the groups I'm in for the same reasons you mentioned are getting more & more overrun with spam & political spats, & more & more people too lazy to even google something or do a shred of research themselves. I love sharing advice, tips, etc... on travel in Colorado, but man, you get inundated with 'hey, we're taking a trip this summer. where are some cool places to camp, hike, etc...?'

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Spring, TX
I never knew there was a groups only app! Even then, the groups I'm in for the same reasons you mentioned are getting more & more overrun with spam & political spats, & more & more people too lazy to even google something or do a shred of research themselves. I love sharing advice, tips, etc... on travel in Colorado, but man, you get inundated with 'hey, we're taking a trip this summer. where are some cool places to camp, hike, etc...?'
even the groups I am in, people act like jerks for no real reason. Nothing good comes from social media.

steross

he/him
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
oklahoma city
Societies always change. What is more triggered, the changes that are occurring in society or the people that have difficulty accepting the changes that are occurring in society?

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
Yeah, they had a Groups app for a time and then the discontinued it and forced everyone back on to the main app...

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Holy chit. Graduated Cushing in 81 and we did the same. Otasco was where we bought all our ammo. Went down to the site of the old Duncan Bridge NW of Cushing before it got knocked over by a wayward salt water recovery tank careening down the river during a flood in the late 80s.
Dude, I love the Duncan bridge area. When we were old enough to drive we always went there to shoot (and party). Had many good times down there. I remember that '86 flood like it was yesterday. My parents live on the south side of Perkins and the river that is normally a mile away came within about 100 yards of their house. Luckily the house is on a hill so the river wasn't going to get much closer. We sat on the roof with binoculars and watched some interesting and heartbreaking things (like cows and horses) float by during that flood. We were also out of school for a week because half of our students and teachers were cut off from the flood.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
When I was a kid in Perkins in the 80's my friends and I all had .22 rifles and one of my friends had a .357 pistol. We were 12-14 years old. We could go into the hardware store on main street in Perkins and buy all the ammo we could afford and take our guns down to the Cimarron River and go shooting. Nobody thought anything about it. Especially not the guy that owned the hardware store who sold us the ammo. Nobody ever even thought about a school shooting back then.
Who didn't have a gun rack in their pickup?

1610133620640.png

Aug 16, 2012
Dude, I love the Duncan bridge area. When we were old enough to drive we always went there to shoot (and party). Had many good times down there. I remember that '86 flood like it was yesterday. My parents live on the south side of Perkins and the river that is normally a mile away came within about 100 yards of their house. Luckily the house is on a hill so the river wasn't going to get much closer. We sat on the roof with binoculars and watched some interesting and heartbreaking things (like cows and horses) float by during that flood. We were also out of school for a week because half of our students and teachers were cut off from the flood.
HIJACK
At the time, of that flood, my dad was the public works director for Cushing. He and several other city leaders had gone down there because one of the nearby residents had called in to say the bridge was leaning over due to all the debris piled up against it. While they were on the east approach, they saw two of those big salt water recovery tanks like you see next to pump jacks come bobbing around the bend and when they hit the bridge, they say it resisted for a moment and then collapsed. Nobody had a camera.

In my Oklahoma high school during the 80's, riflery was part of a science class (Ecology if I remember correctly). We shot .22 rifles inside of our old gym for a couple weeks per year. That's right....guns, ammo and shooting inside a school and no one was ever injured - except their pride when the scores were announced.

StillwaterTownie

Federal Marshal
Jun 18, 2010
Where else but Stillwater
Dude, I love the Duncan bridge area. When we were old enough to drive we always went there to shoot (and party). Had many good times down there. I remember that '86 flood like it was yesterday.
The Dunkin Bridge area has never been the same since the one lane wooden bridge was replaced by a modern two lane one. The well cared for Dunkin family plot and the uncared for neighboring cemetery are still highly contrasting sites, though, I haven't been there in a while.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor
In my Oklahoma high school during the 80's, riflery was part of a science class (Ecology if I remember correctly). We shot .22 rifles inside of our old gym for a couple weeks per year. That's right....guns, ammo and shooting inside a school and no one was ever injured - except their pride when the scores were announced.
I was in my office one day about 11 years ago talking to school grant officer from Virginia and I had my office door open to the hall because it was between classes. Two of my students came in my office and I told the guy from Virginia to wait a second and I didn't hit the mute button correctly so the guy heard the entire conversation. My students said, "Can we order another pallet of shotgun shells? We are almost in shooting season and we really need to practice" and I told them to see my secretary and get it done. When I got back on the call the guy from Virginia was shocked that we were buying bullets for our students. I told him I was glad he didn't hear the conversation when they tried to talk me into some better skeet guns so they could win state. I miss those kids since I retired.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
The Dunkin Bridge area has never been the same since the one lane wooden bridge was replaced by a modern two lane one. The well cared for Dunkin family plot and the uncared for neighboring cemetery are still highly contrasting sites, though, I haven't been there in a while.
The old highway 33 bridge across the Cimarron was very cool too. My family and many other friends and family would go there on 4th of July to shoot off fireworks. I remember being down there one year and a friend of the family lit and threw a half stick of dynamite off the bridge while we were all on it. Shook the hell out the bridge. Different times back then. I'm not sure if that bridge also met it's demise in the 86 flood.