Travis Ford thread Updated 3/31 6:30 pm

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 22, 2014
Iron Mike Holder gave Travis Ford his current contract. How much is Mike Holder to blame for the current statues of the men basketball program?

Jan 28, 2008
OKC, OK
Holder has openly admitted the contract was a mistake. I can respect a man of his position and authority to publically admit wrong-doings. Am I happy with the state of OSU basketball? Absolutely not. Is Holder part of the blame equation? I would say to a degree, "yes". But the other side of the coin tells a different story with Mr. Holder. When I am up in Stillwater looking around at these amazing facilities we now have, not to mention the quality product Mike Gundy and Josh Holliday (not too mention John Smith) are putting on the field, I know and appreciate that Holder played an instrumental role in all of this coming to fruition. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is all a matter of perspective. By all intensive purposes, OSU men's sports is pretty darn good at everything and average at basketball. We've (noticed I said "we" as I lump myself into this group) become a very spoiled fan base and sometimes we need to take a step back, take a deep breath and appreciate what surrounds us. Travis Ford will likely be gone after next year though I'm still hold a small glimmer of hope he can right the ship. Hang in there...we'll be fine.

Aug 22, 2014
Holder has openly admitted the contract was a mistake. I can respect a man of his position and authority to publically admit wrong-doings. Am I happy with the state of OSU basketball? Absolutely not. Is Holder part of the blame equation? I would say to a degree, "yes". But the other side of the coin tells a different story with Mr. Holder. When I am up in Stillwater looking around at these amazing facilities we now have, not to mention the quality product Mike Gundy and Josh Holliday (not too mention John Smith) are putting on the field, I know and appreciate that Holder played an instrumental role in all of this coming to fruition. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is all a matter of perspective. By all intensive purposes, OSU men's sports is pretty darn good at everything and average at basketball. We've (noticed I said "we" as I lump myself into this group) become a very spoiled fan base and sometimes we need to take a step back, take a deep breath and appreciate what surrounds us. Travis Ford will likely be gone after next year though I'm still hold a small glimmer of hope he can right the ship. Hang in there...we'll be fine.
I would not credit Mike Gundys' success to Mike Holder. There was clearly friction this last year and in my opinion we where on the verge of losing Gundy to another program. No one really knows but Gundy himself but that was sure the way it looked from the outside looking in. Did Holder donate the money for the facilities? It just seems like Holder always gets a pass because he is Boones guy and that he has not been held accountable for his failures as AD. Holder can give lip service to the fact he failed the university when it comes to mens basketball all he want but, that doesn't change the fact the fans are fed up and the once proud basketball program is a dumpster fire .

pennpoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2012
York, PA
You guys calling our hoops program a dumpster fire either can't resist ridiculous hyperbole or don't know what a dumpster fire is.

A dumpster fire is how Dave Bliss left Baylor's hoops program. Sean Sutton left our program as a dumpster containing a lot of garbage and a few valuable items having been accidentally thrown away.

Ford's program is kind of like my basement. There's some good stuff down there somewhere, but it's buried under a lot of other stuff and it's too disorganized for me to feel like sorting it all out.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
I agree with almost all you said, and was going to give you a like, but I cannot because you said you hope Ford can right the ship. I don't want him back period. His W-L record is good, but his coaching keeps us from conference crowns & NCAA Tournament wins.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
I would not credit Mike Gundys' success to Mike Holder. There was clearly friction this last year and in my opinion we where on the verge of losing Gundy to another program. No one really knows but Gundy himself but that was sure the way it looked from the outside looking in. Did Holder donate the money for the facilities? It just seems like Holder always gets a pass because he is Boones guy and that he has not been held accountable for his failures as AD. Holder can give lip service to the fact he failed the university when it comes to mens basketball all he want but, that doesn't change the fact the fans are fed up and the once proud basketball program is a dumpster fire .
I believe Holder has donated pretty significant money to OSU, especially considering he isn't a millionaire.

Aug 22, 2014
You guys calling our hoops program a dumpster fire either can't resist ridiculous hyperbole or don't know what a dumpster fire is.

A dumpster fire is how Dave Bliss left Baylor's hoops program. Sean Sutton left our program as a dumpster containing a lot of garbage and a few valuable items having been accidentally thrown away.

Ford's program is kind of like my basement. There's some good stuff down there somewhere, but it's buried under a lot of other stuff and it's too disorganized for me to feel like sorting it all out.
I think I would rather have the dumpster fire. At least the dumpster fire will eventually burn it's self out. Your basement sounds like a problem that will haunt you the rest of your life.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
I just LOVE this post.

Way to go Penn Poke.

Aug 16, 2008
Oklahoma City
I think I would rather have the dumpster fire. At least the dumpster fire will eventually burn it's self out. Your basement sounds like a problem that will haunt you the rest of your life.
I like Rusty's retort also Way to go Rusty.

You guys are entertaining me. And I need entertaining after today's BB game and 7 year's of Ford coached OSU teams.

kenny41

Territorial Marshal
Aug 28, 2006
OKC/Tulsa

I'd say it's time for a yard sale then...

pennpoke

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2012
York, PA
That's very true. The basement is likely longer to fester.

But if you replace your burned-out basement with another one, there's no question there will be improvement. Hiring someone to replace Ford carries not nearly the level of guarantee for improvement that replacing Bliss or Sean will. Not saying that we shouldn't, but rather that it won't be a guarantee of better results, and it carries the possibility of something worse and upheaval with recruiting.

Baylor hires Drew. No question the guy improved things. Even if he turned in seasons like Ford, there would still have been improvement. The question becomes, how likely will it be for improvement to come from another guy?

Jun 24, 2008
SW Oklahoma

But if you replace your burned-out basement with another one, there's no question there will be improvement. Hiring someone to replace Ford carries not nearly the level of guarantee for improvement that replacing Bliss or Sean will. Not saying that we shouldn't, but rather that it won't be a guarantee of better results, and it carries the possibility of something worse and upheaval with recruiting.

Baylor hires Drew. No question the guy improved things. Even if he turned in seasons like Ford, there would still have been improvement. The question becomes, how likely will it be for improvement to come from another guy?
If the only thing keeping us from getting a new coach is the fear of getting someone worse, I for one am willing to take that chance.

Feb 3, 2014
Arizona

Just who is it that is going to take a job where the fan base is so unsupportive?